Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard Inlays issue

Hello,

I've just notice in my new 2012 Les Paul that the inlays in fret 7 and fret 9 feels a bit unflush with the rosewood. At first I thought they were falling off but they feel very tight so I don't think so. They seem to be unfinish.. they were suppost to be flushed with the rosewood. I already used the guitar twice in my last gigs and didn't notice until now so I think it's not a huge thing.. but.. should I take the guitar to a Luthier or this is something I can fix on my own?

Thanks

if you are the original owner, it has a lifetime warranty against defects. contact Gibson customer service.

"Your new Gibson instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and

workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in

this warranty.

If at any time this Gibson instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or

workmanship, Gibson will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems

appropriate in its sole discretion. Gibson reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized

at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available, If replacement

of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, Gibson will replace the instrument with

one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of

your instrument.

This warranty covers the cost of both labor and materials on any repair deemed necessary by

our Customer Service Representative for the lifetime of the original purchaser. In the unlikely

event that your instrument is destroyed, lost or damaged beyond repair, while in the

possession of Gibson for repair,Gibson will replace that instrument with one of the same or

most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

Any insurance covering the instrument, including but not limited to collector's value insurance,

must be carried by owner at owner's expense.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASER ONLY AND

MAY NOT BE TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS. IN ORDER

TO VALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY, AND AS A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO WARRANTY

COVERAGE HEREUNDER, YOU MUST RETURN YOUR WARRANTY REGISTRATION

CARD WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE.

YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE OR SALES RECEIPT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL

REQUESTS FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE.

This Warranty Is Subject To The Following Limitations:

Hello!

When the acrylic inlays are coming up, they feel springy. You can move with Your fingers. I have this issue on the headstock of my Classic Custom. If they are tight, I assume they were like that when You bought the guitar.

Both ways, it's an easy fix for a luthier. Warms up the section of fretboard to melt the glue, than re-sets the inlays. If You are handy You can do it too, but - to be honest - even though, that I do most of the repairs/tune-ups myself, I would leave this particular job for someone with more hands-on experience.

It doesn't seems very professional, but basically this is the process.

Good luck... Bence

Hello!

When the acrylic inlays are coming up, they feel springy. You can move with Your fingers. I have this issue on the headstock of my Classic Custom. If they are tight, I assume they were like that when You bought the guitar.

Both ways, it's an easy fix for a luthier. Warms up the section of fretboard to melt the glue, than re-sets the inlays. If You are handy You can do it too, but - to be honest - even though, that I do most of the repairs/tune-ups myself, I would leave this particular job for someone with more hands-on experience.

It doesn't seems very professional, but basically this is the process.

Good luck... Bence

Mines are not loose.. so I guess they came like that from the factory. Maybe they need to be sanded a little bit to flush them with the fingerboard... thanks!!!

Hello!

This seems to be the prefect solution then:

GibsonLesPaul09DoubleCarvePR003RetrospecInlays031.jpg

"Once I finished scraping, I polished the board and inlays with 0000 steel wool...Next an application of fretboard oil..."

Source: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?170066-Installed-a-set-of-Retrospec-inlays-in-my-58-RI

(Just skip the acetone part, very much likely that would dissolve the glue that holds the inlays.)

Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the guitar to the store and it turns our that the inlays are ungluing and lifting off. They took some pictures in the store to send them to Gibson and see what would be the next step. I'm very frustrated about this. I bought a $3,000 guitar that needs to be fixed... how disappointing is that

You say you just noticed it...have you had the guitar since 2012? Have you ever oiled or conditioned

the fret board? There's a chance, that the area you talk about, is "dry," and has receded slightly.

You may just need to use lemon oil, or a fret board conditioner. It's hard (for us) to tell you,

since we can't see it/feel it. IF it's always been that way, then yeah...you need to have an authorized

Gibson repair service/Luthier, fix it, as a "warranty claim!"

There have been some good suggestions, here...BUT, If you're not familiar, or comfortable, doing it yourself,

and/or don't have the proper tools, I'd recommend you let a Pro do it, just to be safe!

Good Luck!

CB

Well I took the guitar to the store and it turns our that the inlays are ungluing and lifting off. They took some pictures in the store to send them to Gibson and see what would be the next step. I'm very frustrated about this. I bought a $3,000 guitar that needs to be fixed... how disappointing is that

OK...sorry [blush] , I didn't notice this post, before I posted. Glad you found out what was going on!

Cheers,

CB

• 4 years later...

Frets 7 and 9 inlays on my 120th anniversary, 2014 les paul, double cutaway has the same issue with the abalone/plastic inlays. They are coming up from the fretboard. I am currently sending it back to the outlet wheee i purchased it. Its obviously a manufactures flaw.  I own over 40 guitars, including 5 Gibsons and this has only happend thus one time.  I have my fingers crossed.  Otherwise its a great sounding guitar.

• 9 months later...