Gibson Brands Forums

What strings on vintage Gibson....

nippyjun

Hi.

I want to obtain a package of Gibson strings that would have been used on. 1967 sg standard. Does anyone know what kind of strings would have been used at that time. I assume gibson's own brand. What would the packaging have looked like? Would it have been the orange boxes?

Thanks.

Hi.

I want to obtain a package of Gibson strings that would have been used on. 1967 sg standard. Does anyone know what kind of strings would have been used at that time. I assume gibson's own brand. What would the packaging have looked like? Would it have been the orange boxes?

Thanks.

Hi, nippyjun.

I don't know if you're going to be able to obtain a set of original strings from the period, but the closest modern-day counterpart would be Gibson's own Vintage Reissue series. They're nickel-wound strings, instead of more modern steel strings.

I've used these on non-vintage instruments, and they work fantastically. They feel warmer-sounding to me, and go well with vintage / vintage-voiced pickups.

I've since moved on to D'Addario strings, which are still nickel-wound, but because I replace the G string with a wound 17 gauge instead of a straight 17 gauge; helps with tuning stability!

Hi, nippyjun.

I don't know if you're going to be able to obtain a set of original strings from the period, but the closest modern-day counterpart would be Gibson's own Vintage Reissue series. They're nickel-wound strings, instead of more modern steel strings.

I've used these on non-vintage instruments, and they work fantastically. They feel warmer-sounding to me, and go well with vintage / vintage-voiced pickups.

I've since moved on to D'Addario strings, which are still nickel-wound, but because I replace the G string with a wound 17 gauge instead of a straight 17 gauge; helps with tuning stability!

Hi, thanks for your reply and I will look into the Gibson vintage reissue strings to use on the guitar.

I was actually looking to get a set of strings and the packaging from them to use as case candy. I'm interested in which ones would have been used at that time. When I look around the net I see the orange packaging ones, such as the Mona strings or the Hi Fi ones, then they seem to change to the "disco" looking black packaging where "strings" is written diagonally across the packaging. Which ones of those would have been used in 1967.

Thanks.

Archived