Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tones

Abutcher

Just seen a great video on YouTube of Joe Bonamassa demonstrating all the tones you can get from a Les Paul without any pedals, just straight into the amp. I would still love to own one but my past experience hasn't been good, Either the guitar was too heavy or just didn't feel right. The guitar Joe was playing was £4500 here in the UK. Surely it should be possible to produce a great guitar for around the £2000 mark? Do you think there's one out there somewhere waiting for me, weight relieved if possible? I have a Custom Shop acoustic for sale to fund it!

Just seen a great video on YouTube of Joe Bonamassa demonstrating all the tones you can get from a Les Paul without any pedals, just straight into the amp. I would still love to own one but my past experience hasn't been good, Either the guitar was too heavy or just didn't feel right. The guitar Joe was playing was £4500 here in the UK. Surely it should be possible to produce a great guitar for around the £2000 mark? Do you think there's one out there somewhere waiting for me, weight relieved if possible? I have a Custom Shop acoustic for sale to fund it!

Maybe have a look at a second hand Custom Shop reissue? Those are the top-notch Gibson production, but won't have weight relief in most cases. Or go for a new one; the current standard model is weight relieved, but the pickups will be different. Try a few out at your local :)

Hi,

I've seen a few of those Bonamassa videos. I can get all those sounds with my £1000 Les Paul 2014 Signature. It helps to have pickups like 57 Classics.

Just putting the gain on my Laney LC30 on 5 and I can get any sound from great country style clean to 70's heavy metal, just by turning the volume and tone controls and without touching the amp.

//Robert

Hello!

I have three LPs. A chambered, a traditonal weight-relieved, and one made from solid British Honduran mahogany.

The chambered is the loudest and richest sounding of them all. Unplugged. Once it's connected to the amp with some gain, these slight differences are not audible.

The chambered definitely the most comfortable to play stood. However, I very rarely do that. For playing seated, I prefer the heavy '78 Recording as the gravitational pull makes it static. It doesn't move, no need to support the guitar with hands.

Cheers... Bence

I think your missing the point of Joe's video's, he's demonstrating how you can use the traditional control layout found on most Gibson's to achieve a multitude of different sounds. Yes the Re-issues are (subjectively) the top of the tree amongst Les Paul's but you don't have to go to that expense to get a great Les Paul.

There is one out there with your name on it, you've just got to find it. I'd start by looking at a few Traditional models: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx but you'll probably find that each one has it's own "character". The big question I'd be asking if I was in your shoe's is if you want a 2015 model with all that entails, you only need to look on this forum to see that a lot of people aren't that keen on the changes Gibson made to the range for 2015, but you may like them. I'm not sure all the negative feeling towards them will help their re sale value in the future.

Ian

Help me on this one please, I have a 2012 les Paul custom orange widow, I also have a 2014 les Paul custom purple widow... They weigh the same, same pups, same wiring an caps an all that jazz.. The only difference is the neck is thicker on the 2014 about .040" at the first fret.. The tone difference in between these 2 guitars is unreal.. The 2012 orange widow sounds significantly brighter, and the 2014 purple widow sounds significantly mellow!!!!! Why???

Surely it should be possible to produce a great guitar for around the £2000 mark?

It's possible to find a great playing/ sounding guitar at the £500 mark and even lower IMO, a guitar doesn't have to cost loads to be fantastic.

All of the debates about tone are so subjective...so it would be hard for anyone to reccommend to someone else how to get the "sound / tone" thats in someone elses head! Goes without saying that even as we individually listen to others, our brain, conditioned by what we listen to, believe, genetics even, causes us to hear differently from one another.

Heres my probably worthless advocacy- strive to sound like....YOURSELF! Incorporate but don't emulate.

It was said here and a million times elswhere- it's in the fingers / mind/ technique of the player.

Many years ago Rory Block sat in my living room and played my POS Stella acoustic. If I could have gotten that guitar to sound like that, I'd have been in heaven. (I was just a young child at the time, as opposed to being an old child, currently! [wink] )

I'm betting you can get great tone spending $1000.00 USD or less for an axe!

Brian

Archived