Gibson Brands Forums

Current vs 90's Korean (Peerless) Broadways

barrymclark

Anyone here super familiar with the Broadway series?

I have a Peerless era E'Reg and I absolutely love it. I love it so much that I am selling one of my less played Heritage Eagles to fund (with cash left over of course) a Broadway so I can also have a set pickup version.

I am sure, assuming I can land one, I can find a natural finish Peerless era Broadway. I might have to be patient... but I am sure I can get one.

In an attempt to make my search more simple, is anyone here familiar with how the current lot of Broadways differ from the Peerless era?

Granted, I am sure there are those that don't like the cross-grain cutting or the laminated heel blocks or whatever... but, to be frank, it is still a solid build and I love the sound. So... even if isn't technically 'the best' I also don't much care about that. I only care that the end result is one that I like. :)

I guess my more detailed questions are new vs Peerless era:

Is the neck shape any different?

How acoustically 'alive' is it? (the E'Reg is plenty loud for what it is and will feedback rather quickly).

Thanks!

Anyone here super familiar with the Broadway series?

I have a Peerless era E'Reg and I absolutely love it. I love it so much that I am selling one of my less played Heritage Eagles to fund (with cash left over of course) a Broadway so I can also have a set pickup version.

I am sure, assuming I can land one, I can find a natural finish Peerless era Broadway. I might have to be patient... but I am sure I can get one.

In an attempt to make my search more simple, is anyone here familiar with how the current lot of Broadways differ from the Peerless era?

Granted, I am sure there are those that don't like the cross-grain cutting or the laminated heel blocks or whatever... but, to be frank, it is still a solid build and I love the sound. So... even if isn't technically 'the best' I also don't much care about that. I only care that the end result is one that I like. :)

I guess my more detailed questions are new vs Peerless era:

Is the neck shape any different?

How acoustically 'alive' is it? (the E'Reg is plenty loud for what it is and will feedback rather quickly).

Thanks!

I have a '97 Peerless Broadway which is superb. I've played a couple of recent ones in stores, and they seemed to be very well-made. The pickups may even be better --- Epi seems to have made a step forward in that regard. The f-holes are a different shape, and not as aesthetically pleasing to me --- I suspect they made the holes bigger at the "f" to make for easier installation of electronics.

One thing I'm not sure about is the fingerboard radius, which on my '97 Broadway is 14" --- I'm not sure if they're still that way or if they've gone to a 12" radius like most of their other guitars.

I have a 2012 Korean Broadway (Natural) The build quality is quite exceptional action on it is tremendous, neck has been rail straight since it arrived from Musicians Friend in early January 2013.

I don't think I've done anything to this other than restring it, and clean it up once in a while. I have D'Addario XL 11s on it right now effortless to play, sounds great.

Perhaps the two major points of difference I can think of from imports from the era you're mentioning would be the USA Designed pickups, and the things like Grover tuners verses what ever import hardware they were using 20 years ago.

Archived