Gibson Brands Forums

Why IS it....SG's are the "most popular" Gibson...

charlie brown

The SG part of the Gibson Forum, seems to be the least "active," a lot of the time. [confused]

That's Odd, to me...as Gibson advertises the SG to be their most popular model! Yet,

the Les Paul's are discussed, far and away more often, than our beloved SG's! WHY?!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Les Paul's and other Gibson's, as well. BUT, since getting

my SG's, they are what I seem to play the most, anymore! The other's are (too often)

hibernating, in their cases. Not because I don't "Love them, anymore," but just because

the SG's are so totally "playable," and HOT! [thumbup][biggrin]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SG's are 1000% more comforatble to play sitting down than any LP ive ever owned or played. Here is a fresh arrival:The Firebird mini humbucker is a treat and with coil tap it can be mighty sharp like a tele, almost. The 57 classic with no pole pieces is quite nice too and it has coil tap for unique tones.

100_6426_zpslahba9ve.jpg

Hello!

What I think, is that SG is being the best seller and not necessarily the most popular Gibson guitar.

For kids, garage band players and semi-pros, SGs are much more affordable instruments than Les Pauls. Most of the SGs sold are played in the bedrooms rather than onstage.

Arena stars, celebrities can buy Les Pauls much easier and they prefer to be seen with them in spotlight. Probably, that's why the focus is more on Les Pauls.

Cheers... Bence

Well, the forum in general, seems pretty quiet these days! But the SG section seems especially so! :unsure:

There's no arguing with the popularity of Les Paul's! They are, 2nd only to the Fender Strat, the most popular

electric guitars ever produced! As to their being more versions of the Les Paul...that's true! TOO MANY versions,

IMHO. But, that's just me! [biggrin]

I just thought it a bit odd, that SG's don't get much press, or discussion, at all, by comparison. Yet SG owners,

seem pretty loyal and enthusiastic, about their beloved devilish looking "axe!" Maybe, they're too busy playing them,

to bother posting about them? [biggrin] And, often...some of us who own great examples of both SG's and Les Paul's,

seem to end up playing the SG more often. Weight, upper fret access, a more cutting TONE, etc.

But, it's all good! SG or LP! [thumbup]

CB

I just read this and of course I had to pick up both my SGs and give them some love. Thanks for the inspiration! They sounded sweet through a model of an Orange Rockerverb 50 on my PC. Don't know why the Les Pauls get talked about so much. I guess they're more of a "premium" guitar with all the different models and fancy tops. If I ever play in a gigging band again, my #1 guitar will be an SG just like in college.

An example

In my living room i have 3 Guitar hanging on the wall (why not show 'em, i'm proud of them)

Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Desert Burst

012_zps44f3ca42.jpg

Gretsch Firebird

002-4_zps8c16e401.jpg

Gibson Sg Cs Standard - Heritage Cherry

SGcS14_zps98e5357d.jpg

And friends or family always comment on the Les Paul and Gretsch, not my Sg

Almost irritating as my passion is the Sg

I like the SG, but I don't have a great feel with them: to skinny and thin for me. But I like their shape, and I'll get another one, sooner or later [biggrin] (I had a 2008 SG Standard in Black).

I suppose that this part of the forum is less active due to the smaller amount of modifications that Gibson makes to the SG line, rather than the Les Paul one. (same thing for the "all other Gibsons")

In my guess the main reason is that SGs are mostly loved by experienced and seasoned players. These typically have less questions, less excitement, less complaints, and thus less to share and post about. They know what they want and why.

Therefore they also know how to handle an SG. Balance of guitars is a critical point, and SGs frankly have a problem here. I never found any beginner who liked an SG. Experienced players know how to keep the neck from diving with the striking hand's forearm without significantly limiting picking abilities, or sometimes through supporting the neck with the fretting hand what I don't like.

Anyway, seasoned and less seasoned players usually like the neck sightly sloping upwards. This isn't a problem with SGs having their upper strap button mounted sideways to the upper horn like the Tony Iommi Signature. Although basically allowing for a convenient neck slope, the typical button position at the neck joint's back shifts the upper strap end towards the center of gravity - the neck will dive. Even my 1978 S-G shows this despite of the 1970's S-Gs' shorter neck and bridge pickup, bridge and tailpiece shifted towards the lower bout. The bigger SP-2 headstock and the neck volute counteract the advances of design and heavier harmonica bridge which I particularly love. Moreover, the usual button location eats up the advances of both slim design and second cutaway.

Then there's the neck which except on 1970's SGs stands farther out on the fretting hand's side. This calls - at least for me - for a slightly increased slope upwards to allow for precise fretting. My wide fingers make that harder, too, and the farther left, the more. The nut position of an SG - again except for the 1970's ones - is close to that of a long-scale bass.

Honestly, if not for their irreplaceable tone, I don't think I would ever play an SG. Les Paul guitars with strap locks, Fender Telecasters and Stratocasters are much easier to handle for me. Although less critical than SGs, similar is valid for the 2011 L6S with strap locks. The 1970's L6-Ses have a smaller and lighter headstock making them nicely balanced. The also elctrically very different remakes have a more traditional peghead making them neck-heavy. There's a neck volute (sic!) on the 2011 L6S silverburst model which also adds to the weight on the far left end. Wherever this difference may come from - the antique natural 2011 L6S hasn't a volute.

as a guy with 2 of both (SG, LP) I can only say that I will choose a les paul at a gig, or jam about 70% of the time.

They just fit "me" better.

That said, I do appreciate the SG's upper fret access as well as the reduced weight on my shoulder, especially during 1 hour plus sets.

SG's are very comfortable all around. however, tone wise, IMHO the LP's have a bit more complex voice, there's just a bit more there for me, but the SGs definitely do the job.

Should say one of my SG's is loaded with Gibson P0s (SG Sepcial) and that axe has it's own unique sound.

Balance, or neck dive, isn't a problem with the proper strap. the "Seat belt" material just wont work for me. Suede straps do.

and I think the "most popular" could be getting skewed with "more affordable". SG's are half the cost, but hey are not "half the axe"

Balance, or neck dive, isn't a problem with the proper strap. the "Seat belt" material just wont work for me. Suede straps do.

There are only suede straps in my arsenal. They help ease the neck heaviness, but none of them solves the problem completely.

I sorted out the "seat belt" materials decades ago already. They offer less wearing comfort with any guitar or bass. I also never understood those leather front/textile back designs.

I must confess to being SG-less for the past year or two.

I do need to fix that but the problem I find is that the feel of the necks are all over the place.

I really don't care for the "round SG" profile as it feels too much like a Lucille neck on a too small body.

What I'm looking for is the slim 60s Les Paul profile on an SG. An ebony fret board would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

I do need to fix that but the problem I find is that the feel of the necks are all over the place.

I really don't care for the "round SG" profile as it feels too much like a Lucille neck on a too small body.

What I'm looking for is the slim 60s Les Paul profile on an SG. An ebony fret board would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

Hi Steve,

Any of the current '61 versions, will have the thinner '60's neck profile. All (4) of mine are like

that, and very comfortable to play!

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

DSC_95401_zps10a2006f.jpg

They're ALL well balanced, as well=NO "neck dive" at all! And, they all have those wonderful

(and essential, to me) wider bevels (deeper into the horns) and horn tapering, as well! Just

doesn't get any better, or more true SG, for me! But, that's just ME! [biggrin]

As to an ebony board, probably a CS SG Custom (new or "used, but not abused?), or used (pre "Richlite") SG Supreme? Just some ideas...

CB

Any suggestions?

The Angus Young signature model has the smaller neck profile. They also released an SG Xtra Slim model this year with the 1961 profile. Good luck finding one though. They seem to have produced about 5 of them and shipped them all overseas.

I've played LPs since 76, among others. I finally bought an SG Standard in 2013. My LP has been in its' case ever since. Same reasons as the rest, lightness, upper access, slightly wider fret board which is great for soloing for me. Since then I've purchased a Firebird and a Midtown Custom. I play them a little but the SG is my go to axe. I recently auditioned for a group and brought the SG. It was very well received.

I love the comment that SG owners are busy playing their guitars while LP owners are busy polishing.

I will say this about pros using LPs instead of SGs, I recently saw Tedeschi Trucks and Derek was using an SG standard non batwing like mine. I was surprised to see he wasn't using his signature model. Jim

As a child I was told that Gibson put the horns on the SG because it was the devils guitar.

So, being a church going son of a bible thumper, I bought a Les Paul.

Yet many others say they are angel wings. With it's superior upper fret access, the SG let's you reach for the heavens.

Gibson_SG_by_Manu_TSA_zpsrhvgyttk.jpg

This is why I think the Les Paul Double Cut is the perfect guitar.. Great balance and roars just like a LP should but the upper fret access of an SG..... :)

They are close but still not quite the upper fret access of the SG, especially the first SG style neck joint models like a 61 reissue has. And ANY electric can roar regardless of model, that mainly boils down to pickups and amps.

They are close but still not quite the upper fret access of the SG, especially the first SG style neck joint models like a 61 reissue has. And ANY electric can roar regardless of model, that mainly boils down to pickups and amps.

Well actually I should have been more specific.. The one I have and am referring to is the double cut special (rather than the DC Standard or Classic)...

That has the fret access right up there... One of these (this isn't my one).. and an amazing [silm 60s neck profile)

l_zpseg23uwoe.jpg

Its made very much like an SG but obviously a different shape... I prefer the balance on these...

But hey... its all down to personal preference anyway which is why I said "I think"..

Well actually I should have been more specific.. The one I have and am referring to is the double cut special (rather than the DC Standard or Classic)...

That has the fret access right up there... One of these (this isn't my one).. and an amazing [silm 60s neck profile)

l_zpseg23uwoe.jpg

Its made very much like an SG but obviously a different shape... I prefer the balance on these...

But hey... its all down to personal preference anyway which is why I said "I think"..

Yeah, Rabs...another one of my favorite guitars is my DC Les Paul Special (Faded) with the P-90's!

DSC_0027.jpg

Love the look, feel/playability, and TONE! [thumbup]

CB

Love the look, feel/playability, and TONE! [thumbup]

CB

Of all Gibsons I think they are the most underrated compared to how good they are to play....

And PRS made a whole business out of that shape ;)

Also, out of interest.. I know you are a huge SG nut.. so how do you think the upper fret access and balance compare between a DC special and an SG?

Archived