Gibson Brands Forums

2015 SGS3 Locking Lyre ?

Rocket Jay

I was able to get a new 2015 SGS3 Black & Gold Hardware Deco Vibrola. I can push the Vibrola Lyre plate - body down and it locks the Vibrola into place.

I Retune and it functions as a locking Vibrola. To unlock I just have to push the Vibrola arm and it unlocks, But I have to retune. Has anyone else noticed this ?

I'm wondering if this is by design. Gibson says the Vibrola Lyre system is redesigned, But they do not say what was changed or improved. Any help would be

great. Thanks.

I was able to get a new 2015 SGS3 Black & Gold Hardware Deco Vibrola. I can push the Vibrola Lyre plate - body down and it locks the Vibrola into place.

I Retune and it functions as a locking Vibrola. To unlock I just have to push the Vibrola arm and it unlocks, But I have to retune. Has anyone else noticed this ?

I'm wondering if this is by design. Gibson says the Vibrola Lyre system is redesigned, But they do not say what was changed or improved. Any help would be

great. Thanks.

I have the new Vibrola on the 61 LP SG. I don't believe that it is designed to lock. Gibson redesigned it to be smoother and cause less tuning problems AFAIK.

image.jpg1_zpsyruzkbbt.jpg

Your vibrola is designated "Sideways Vibrola" as was common on the original '61 Les Paul (SG).

They were used on both the Standard model, and White Custom versions. Your SGS3 guitar has the

newer version, with improved (smoother) mechanism movement. The '61 Les Paul Tribute (below),

has this new improved side vibrola, as well

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/1961-Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

If you SGS3 is still fairly new, the strings may still need some stretching, to return to pitch

accurately. This is NOT a "Dive Bomb" vibrola Think more of a mild (Surf Style) Shimmer! IF

your strings are properly stretched, and wound on the posts correctly, then the other culprit

in tuning issues, is most likely the Nut! It's a very common issue! Easily fixed, with proper

cutting, and/or some "nut sauce" or graphite lubricant, in the nut slots.

Enjoy!

CB

Archived