Gibson Brands Forums

TC Electronics "Play Acoustic"

BluesKing777

Aside from a good weekend singing like the chipmunks and robots , wouldnt for example a baggs venue di box do the same as this thing ?

I'm looking forward to you two guys (ad anyone else's) reviews and samples of these thingies.

I know there are YouTube videos already but I don't trust them. And the little pretty girl in the promo didn't float my boat , musically speaking.

Grunt... Here is the thing... TC makes a single pedal for about $100 called Body Rezz. It takes your typical UST quacky sound and supposedly makes it a rich "natural" acoustic tone. I was thinking hard about getting that box for a year now, but figured for open mics it wasnt worth it.

This Play Acoustic has a bunch of stuff. It has the Body Rezz. Harmony. Vocal Tone... and heck I got it for "free" on Amazon (not really - I have Amex Points that I used). This may work and it may not.

In a few weeks after I get it I'll try to review it here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, seeing as I started the thing off, I will take one for the team and wear the black stockings......I mean load a test track or 2 I just did.

Boss is working late, dog is staring at me daggers for food and I suppose I should have some then tangle with the Soundcrowd and fight the internet in prime time while all the locals download their free tv show off Netflix and Presto and and and.

I will explain now so I can just load them here (the trax) later. Absolutely live no overdubs, I did the said Roadhouse Blues tamed down a whisker and revved up One Of These Nights a bit - Shure 58 into the gadget, Gibson J45 to my Fishman Aura then to the gadget. Headphones. 2 leads xlr to A&H mixer run dead flat then usb to Mac/garageband........so it will NOT have my acoustic mic'd....everything through gadgets like a gig...at home.....sounds like I may eat girls from the gadget demo for lunch!

Catch you on the flipside.

BluesKing777.

I recently picked up a Voicelive 3, basically a Play Acoustic on steroids but the same concept and if your not afraid to program it you can come up with some really nice patches for your songs and programming and it's pretty simple once you get your head around how the functions are layed out. I use it conservatively unlike the demos TC has online which the VL3 is way too effected but I love that I can have a patch set up for my J45/Element and a totally different one set up for my Larivee K&K guitar which requires a different Eq than the J45.

I was a skeptic and didn't want nothing to do with these kind of units until I took one home and tried it. I don't use my pedalboard anymore and I have way more options using the TC. The only thing I kept was my Aura Spectrum DI which I plug in front of the TC.

Does it not leave a di box unnecessary?

Forgive my ignorance in live gear

Correct weight.

The gadget has 2 xlr out plugs with various configs settings.....guitar left, vocal right ...or stereo....or plain old everything through one plug (left) for mono.

I have a stereo Genz Benz acoustic amp, so one lead to each channel for stereo.

Mono for the single channel amp. (Effects sound fairly sad in mono).

But...

If I turned up with guitar in one hand and gadget in the other, to a concert PA or house PA, the soundman would need some convincing to give you 2 channels stereo, so it could pay to speak to him/her a few days before and mention you have your acoustic guitar with pickup running to your gadget for voice and guitar pre-mixed by you with effects [thumbup] and could you please, pretty please have stereo? Otherwise it could be ...pffft pffft....1 mic lead for mono...... :unsure:

I did a quick search on what other people do for "outs" with the gadget, but couldn't find much.

BluesKing777.

Tell you what...

Here is my Reverb ad: . . .

If you are 62Burst, I'll pay you $50 to take it.

:)

Good one. :)

I will probably give the next generation or so of this pedal another shot in the future. The TC Harmony Singer is portable enough, but it still adds to set up/ tear down of an evening of otherwise acoustic endeavor. May be easier than getting other guitarists to learn their harmony parts, though.

Good one. :)

I will probably give the next generation or so of this pedal another shot in the future. The TC Harmony Singer is portable enough, but it still adds to set up/ tear down of an evening of otherwise acoustic endeavor. May be easier than getting other guitarists to learn their harmony parts, though.

Of course if you get a great PA and soundman for your gigs, you don't need any of this stuff - park the guitar in front of the mic and go. Wipe the guitar down after, pack it in the case and go home.

This is for the 'independent operator'.....

BluesKing777.

Ha

Will test the machine trying some Mick with the TC Helicon in charge of doing Keith's backing vokes! [confused] [confused] [confused]

I will have to take the gadget off my music stand where it has been for setup and to the floor......

Some TAB guitar books I ordered the other week from Amazon just arrived (week early too). I went to a local music book shop and came out with the Eagles Tab and Pink Floyd TAB but the rest of their wares were unknown to me!

So online I ordered TAB books for Stones '50 songs for 50 years' with appendix TAB of legendary guitar parts supposedly and Stones "Singles Collection" TAB and while I was at it, I got TAB "Some Girls".

I have an old book which is rubbish and a newer book also rubbish, but these look great!

BluesKing777.

Just had a proper listen BK.

Does sound for I have to say , if that's what was coming it at an audience I'd be delighted.

Of it tidies up the piezo on the j45 then it's alright in my book.

Sounded real good.

Thanks BBG.

Like I said earlier, live I would have it plainer sounding-treat it like a mixer for acoustic and vox. Use 1or 2 sounds and maybe press the big red button for the last song..... Plug in the in-ear monitors and forget the foldback wedge and feedback.

I think it improves the old sm58 sound more than the guitar, but it all makes a nice easy workable package.

A+ very impressed.

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG.

. Plug in the in-ear monitors and forget the foldback wedge and feedback.

BluesKing777.

I have no idea what that means.

Still impressed though. Sounded very good and only a step away from your au naturel normal mic'd recordings.

Is the DI box necessary ? What difference would it make without it ? Or am I asking stupid questions now?

Incidentally , when you said 'roadhouse blues' my first thought was ,'this is gonna be interesting'

How's he gonna pull off a solo version of that ?

But you did. Don't think there's many with the correct touch to get that right .

Bravo

Still impressed though. Sounded very good and only a step away from your au naturel normal mic'd recordings.

Is the DI box necessary ? What difference would it make without it ? Or am I asking stupid questions now?

Incidentally , when you said 'roadhouse blues' my first thought was ,'this is gonna be interesting'

How's he gonna pull off a solo version of that ?

But you did. Don't think there's many with the correct touch to get that right .

Bravo

It is NOT a D.I. - it is an effects box designed for singer songwriter type solo acoustic guitarist/vocalists. You plug your mic in and you plug your acoustic guitar with pickup in.

Not much use unless it comes out, so you have a headphone plug for practicing on the quiet and then 2 xlr plugs (like mic plugs) for running stereo mix of your selected sound, as you play and sing, to a PA mixer or acoustic amp so others can hear you!

In-Ear Monitors are earphones used to hear a mix of a PA stage sound instead of floor wedge monitors. You could wear big fat headphones instead. (avoids feedback from vocal mic and acoustic guitar cycling through the foldback.)

I really should have learned Roadhouse years ago for when hecklers yelled out to play The Doors - why would they go to a purist blues gig to see a purist blues band? I notice I forgot the riff at the end of each vocal line. Oh well, I did it live - the bassline is played by my thumb ala blues picking, not a loop - so a fair bit going on and I had the lyrics on the mic stand but the mic was in the way!

And I think I need to buy some new guitar leads......one is crackling today, might be the Baggs too? Will try a different guitar later..

BluesKing777.

He means there's a headphone jack on it that can be used with an In ear monitor instead of using monitors. If you were playing with a band you can also feed the bands mix into the aux in which is sent to the headphone out

At the risk of being thrown out here ,

'J45 into my fishman aura then into the new gadget '

Is the aura not a di box ?

I'm gonna go and lie in a dark room for a while

The Aura box is another multi- function unit with Aura images and selection, EQ, compression, volume and master volume and a D.I. included so you could plug acoustic to the Aura and then straight to mixer, wherever that may be....cafe, pub, concert, cruise liner....ha, not sure about cruise liner might need a leveller.... :mellow:

In this case, I plug my guitar with pickup into the Aura to use the sound image I loaded from the website for my J45 and some others, and then into the Helicon because I prefer that Aura sound than the Helicon for lead notes. The Helicon guitar sound is great for strumming like the players in the demo videos.....

BluesKing777.

BK,

Is it easy for right out of the box creating and using a simple Rezz-improved guitar tone, with one simple smart harmony when I "hit"?

If so, I may want to use it Friday night (I get it Thursday), as the piezo quack and sound of my LG2-AE is something I wish sounded better. I could use my D35 with K&K, but it is way heavier for a 4 hour gig.

BK,

Is it easy for right out of the box creating and using a simple Rezz-improved guitar tone, with one simple smart harmony when I "hit"?

If so, I may want to use it Friday night (I get it Thursday), as the piezo quack and sound of my LG2-AE is something I wish sounded better. I could use my D35 with K&K, but it is way heavier for a 4 hour gig.

Did you ever see the old English show 'Yes Minister'? Whenever the Minister had a plan, the public servant guy would put him off by saying something like: 'That would be a brave plan, Minister!'

If the gadget arrives, you could do it and you could also cook that new Masterchef recipe for the whole place and offer to update all their phones.......

One - your duo mate would be livid if it works and also livid if it fails because you might sound too good...or no sound at all.

Two - I am still mucking about finding my way. It took a long while to download the updates and firmware - might be able to get away with simple presets if I played Friday after diddling for a week. Maybe I should go instead of you?

There are so many options, it should tell you what NOT to do!

Plan for using the D35 and if you can get it happening, well....

BluesKing777.

Archived