Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups and Bridge relationship

tokairic

Has anyone measured the distance between the pickups and the bridge and neck pickup on the 24 fret LP Prophecy?

I have one and swapped the pickups for a well known boutique brand, and ended up with a very, vey bright (not what I wanted) bridge pickup. Not good.

After a bit of head scratching and no constructive help forthcoming I measured the distances between the bridge and the bridge pickup. I found the pickup was very close to the bridge compared to a 22 fret LP Standard - hence the brightness. In fitting the extra frets and lengthening the fretboard Epiphone have made the pickups closer together and the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

This wouldn't be a problem if you were to leave the guitar standard, but I bought it specifically to mod with upmarket pickups etc.

The p/up supplier (Bare Knuckle) was very good and exchanged the bridge pickup for me once I had seen the cause of the problem. I ended up fitting a hotter pickup mounted lower in the body to improve the tone, this worked.

So if you are looking to mod an Epiphone guitar get your ruler out and check the spacing p/up and bridge, before choosing your p/ups.

The space between pickup and bridge is closer compared to most Les Paul models and similar to some - not all! - SG models. Swapping the 498T for a three-magnets ceramic-loaded 500T might get out more low end of your guitar in the original bridge position.

Archived