Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock Delamination Repair Update

Dick Couture

I recently had a headstock delamination issue with my 16 year old Legrand archtop. I received many replies from forum members and I sincerely appreciated their insight and suggestions. I decided to send the guitar to Gibson Repair and Restoration. I am pleased to say that Gibson did an excellent job bringing my guitar's headstock back to original condition. It looks as good as the day I purchased this guitar. I have attached a before and after photo for your review.

post-65080-086325400 1440121395_thumb.jpg

post-65080-028363400 1440121415_thumb.jpg

Did Gibson do the work under warranty?

Thanks John

John,

Unfortunately no. The custom shop said it was a cosmetic issue on a 16 year old guitar not covered under warranty. If you have a repair issue, I suggest you contact Garrett Hamilton in Gibson customer service or send an email to repair@gibson.com. Dion Edge will contact you from their repair dept to discuss cost.

[thumbup] Looks great. Did they give any indication what would cause this to happen in the first place?

Sleeko,

Gibson did not mention the cause of the delamination, however another forum member said that some years ago guitar manufacturers moved from oil to water based adhesives for environmental reasons and this could be the cause. It makes sense because my 50 year old ES175D headstock is rock solid with no delamination issues at all.

Original quote from Repair and Restoration = $450. Well worth it for an expensive custom shop guitar.

I am completely satisfied with this repair. Gibson Repair and Restoration does their job extremely well.

A serious bill, but they a same seriously fantastic work. [thumbup]

Archived