Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul 7-string : Tuner Issues

Penumbra

Hey everyone -

New user here, long time Epiphone owner - first time needing support..

I was restringing my Epiphnone Les Paul 7-string guitar, and as I was winding up one of the strings, the post on the tuner cracked the housing and needed replacement.

I went to Guitar Center, bought a set of Gibson tuners (PMMH-015) - and installed the one broken tuner at first - just trying to get my guitar back to gig-ready. I did notice the new tuners had a 6 o'clock screw vs. the old tuners which had a more 7:30 angle. The new tuner fit with a new screw hole (gah!!) but it seated and wound up properly.

As I then tuned up the rest of the guitar, another tuner cracked ... GOOD TIMES.. Luckily I had bought a full 6 piece replacement set so I went to install another replacement, and this time the 6 o'clock screw position was a REAL problem. The 2 broken tuners were next to each other (A and D strings) - and attempting to install the 2nd replacement jammed against the 1st one, and wouldn't seat.

So ...

What tuners ARE the correct replacements, and where can I find them?

I miss my 7-string!!

Pen.

Hey everyone -

I was restringing my Epiphnone Les Paul 7-string guitar, and as I was winding up one of the strings, the post on the tuner cracked the housing and needed replacement.

I went to Guitar Center, bought a set of Gibson tuners (PMMH-015) - and installed the one broken tuner at first - just trying to get my guitar back to gig-ready. I did notice the new tuners had a 6 o'clock screw vs. the old tuners which had a more 7:30 angle. The new tuner fit with a new screw hole (gah!!) but it seated and wound up properly.

As I then tuned up the rest of the guitar, another tuner cracked ... GOOD TIMES.. Luckily I had bought a full 6 piece replacement set so I went to install another replacement, and this time the 6 o'clock screw position was a REAL problem. The 2 broken tuners were next to each other (A and D strings) - and attempting to install the 2nd replacement jammed against the 1st one, and wouldn't seat.

So ...

I miss my 7-string!!

Pen.

can you post a picture of the original tuners?

Hey everyone -

So ...

I miss my 7-string!!

Pen.

What a PITA Pen. I'm sure you'll have it sorted quickly. I've not had any tuner issues on my Epis, both have Grovers. I wonder what occurred with yours? How old are they? Are they branded?

Hey guys -- thanks for the replies!

I finally was able to figure out that these are JIN-HO 04 tuners, from Korea.

http://www.jinhomusic.com/standard/j_04.html

The 45 deg angle is the key here.

Given that the Jin-Ho's cracked on me, and even though I do like to stay original - should I even consider replacing them with new Jin-Ho's?

Pen.

Hey guys -- thanks for the replies!

I finally was able to figure out that these are JIN-HO 04 tuners, from Korea.

http://www.jinhomusic.com/standard/j_04.html

The 45 deg angle is the key here.

Given that the Jin-Ho's cracked on me, and even though I do like to stay original - should I even consider replacing them with new Jin-Ho's?

Pen.

I would go with a better quality tuner. maybe Gotoh or Grover. you can get the same style. I wouldn't be to concerned with keeping parts like this original. after all, you'd be making improvements to the guitar.

I would go with a better quality tuner. maybe Gotoh or Grover. you can get the same style. I wouldn't be to concerned with keeping parts like this original. after all, you'd be making improvements to the guitar.

This, ^ ^ ^ ^, go with better tuners, you won't be disappointed.

This, ^ ^ ^ ^, go with better tuners, you won't be disappointed.

Sounds good to me. Just need to find proper replacements. They seem to be smaller than standard. I see mid sized and minis on Grover site.

I have the specs for the JH ones now, do I'll just match that up.

Thanks everyone!

P

Sounds good to me. Just need to find proper replacements. They seem to be smaller than standard. I see mid sized and minis on Grover site.

I have the specs for the JH ones now, do I'll just match that up.

Thanks everyone!

P

check out this place too... http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm

they usually have pretty good prices

Archived