Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard

cs orange widow

I was bored at work, soooo I had a idea that I'd weigh my options on buying a new guitar.. I would like a les Paul that I can play an drag around an if it gets Afew bumps an bruises along the way an it only adds character yet still sounds awesome!! Sooo I made a decision, I wanna getta les Paul standard, I really like the lemon, honey, iced tea an tobacco burst.. It's not overly expensive an it's a great guitar!!! Soooo I called the local dealer,,,,, $4100 for a Les Paul standard!!!!! I'm notta fan of the gforce, or the brass nut, especially for that kinda dough!!!!! But they have a traditional for $2300.. I've never played one so I'm gunna have to go try it!!! If I don't like it I'll have to find a older standard in a lemon burst without coil taps an brass nut an all that' fancy stuff haha.. What's your thoughts on the standard compared to a traditional.. I know I have to get out an play it an see how it feels for myself, I just wanna know your thoughts on a older standard and a newer traditional..

Soooo I called the local dealer,,,,, $4100 for a Les Paul standard!!!!! I'm notta fan of the gforce, or the brass nut, ... But they have a traditional for $2300.. I've never played one so I'm gunna have to go try it!!! If I don't like it I'll have to find a older standard in a lemon burst without coil taps an bras but an all that' fancy stuff haha.. What's your thoughts on the standard compared to a traditional.. I know I have to get out an play it an see how it feels for myself, I just wanna know your thoughts on a older standard and a newer traditional..

You can get a 2015 Standard for less than that. Particularly the SR series that GC now has in stock, which is $2799. The normal standards you can get for $3299 and at a few places for less than that. I'd go with the SR if I were you because those are back to the standard neck width and no g-force. Seems like the best thing for you. A Traditional model is also excellent and that's what I would probably lean toward personally.

Normal Standard: Asymmetric neck, out-of-phase option, coil tap option, boost. Burstbucker pro pickups. Brass nut, extra-wide neck, g-force.

SR: Take away extra-wide neck and g-force, all else the same I think.

Traditional: 50s style neck and built just like LPs before 2012 but with new pickups, called "59 Traditional Tributes." No coil-split, no out-of-phase, no boost, no g-force, no brass nut.

I like the sound of the Traditional just a hair better than the Standard, but that is a very personal thing and you should listen to some youtube clips and play a few yourself in person.

You are absolutely right!!!!! After Afew reviews I rather enjoy the traditional over the standard!! Now I'm on the hunt for one!!!

The used 2013's and 2014's Trads can probably be found in the $1600 to $1800 range. They also have solid bodies with no weight relief. The 13's have the 57/57+ pups and have more roar and are darker sounding than the 59 Tributes that are in the 2014 Trads. I prefer the 59's as they sound more vintage to me. Your choice will depend somewhat on the types of music you play.

The used 2013's and 2014's Trads can probably be found in the $1600 to $1800 range. They also have solid bodies with no weight relief. The 13's have the 57/57+ pups and have more roar and are darker sounding than the 59 Tributes that are in the 2014 Trads. I prefer the 59's as they sound more vintage to me. Your choice will depend somewhat on the types of music you play.

I play a lot of everything, started out playing metallica, megadeth, Mötley Crüe,, but thankfully I was only narrow minded for the last 10 years!!!! I play most anythin nowadays, oldies, rock, blues.. Anything but country really... I'm super excited about gettin my hands on a honey burst traditional... Any an all Info on traditionals is greatly appreciated!!!

I play a lot of everything, started out playing metallica, megadeth, Mötley Crüe,, but thankfully I was only narrow minded for the last 10 years!!!! I play most anythin nowadays, oldies, rock, blues.. Anything but country really... I'm super excited about gettin my hands on a honey burst traditional... Any an all Info on traditionals is greatly appreciated!!!

Well, the 2013 has a 57+ in the bridge and really roars. The problem with the 57's in those LP's is that they don't clean up well when you turn down and the neck pup is a little muddy. The 59 tribute pups sound brighter, and have more chime and sound more like a LP from the 50's. Try them both. Also, I think the 2013's have 300k pots and the 2014's have 500k pots which does contribute to the tonal differences. I have both. I ended up putting 59's in my 2013 Trad and left the 300k pots. It now has more chime than it did but is not as bright as the 2014 Trad. You could say that the 59's sound a little more like P90's without the hum than the 57's. I personally like single coils, Strats, Teles, LP Jrs so I gravitate towards lower output buckers.

Guitar Center has a online list of used gear with prices that you might wanna look at..

You can get the instrument shipped free to your local GC so you can give it a test drive before buying too..

Here's one I found but there are MANY MANY more..

Used Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II Honey Burst Solid Body Electric Guitar $1499.99

Good Luck in your quest for Tone

Gary/Hk

whats the difference between a tradition,, and the traditional pro ll???

Push/Pull (or was it push/push?) knobs that activate coil splits and I think one is a boost switch... or sommin

and theres a trad pro iii now too

I have such a itchy trigger finger!!! I'm shopping like crazy for a traditional, I wanna honey burst, a lemon, tobacco burst,, blue is nice too.. I've called many guitar shops in the surrounding area just to find one an to no avail!!! The best part, my wife is completely fine with me gettin another guitar when normally she says you can only play 1 at a time..... I'm sure she has somethin up her sleeve hahaha..

I started off wanting a Standard too. Got one and really didn't care for the Burstbucker Pros to be frank. Returned it and eventually ended up with 2 Traditionals...a 2012 in Light Burst (w/ 57/57+) and a 2014 in Heritage Cherry Sunburst (w/ 59 Tribs).

Both look great (see avatar), both feel great (the 12 is a bit lighter because it has traditional weight relief), necks are chunkier 50s profile which I prefer (14 is chunkiest which I actually like better)...and while both sound great---to my ear the 59 Tribs are tops! Simply awesome! Very articulate, very defined, lots of string separation. Best Gibson USA pups yet IMO (and before I got my 14 I was a 57/57+ guy big time!).

Get a Traditional! You won't be sorry!!! :)

Get the Traditional, you likely will love it. I have a Standard with Traditional pickups and electronics in it and I like them better than the stock stuff. The 2014 Traditional is certainly one of the better sounding guitars out there, easily keeping pace with LPs that cost twice as much.

You are absolutely right!!!!! After Afew reviews I rather enjoy the traditional over the standard!! Now I'm on the hunt for one!!!

Damnation, I bought my first electric in January this year. It came down to a decision between the Standard and a Traditional. I bought the wrong guitar.

Damnation, I bought my first electric in January this year. It came down to a decision between the Standard and a Traditional. I bought the wrong guitar.

And here goes another vote for the 14 Trad!

Mine feels and play's like a dream, and I even found it in Tobacco burst.

I love the sound of the 57 Classic but to me the 59 Tribute is superior.

Skilsaw all you have to do is wait and hit it when a set of 59's pop's up.

There where some set's on ebay and reverb but they are all gone now.msp_thumbdn.gif

Maybe your lucky and a Zakk Wylde fan rips them ot to replace them with some EMG's.tongue.gif

And here goes another vote for the 14 Trad!

Mine feels and play's like a dream, and I even found it in Tobacco burst.

I love the sound of the 57 Classic but to me the 59 Tribute is superior.

Skilsaw all you have to do is wait and hit it when a set of 59's pop's up.

There where some set's on ebay and reverb but they are all gone now.msp_thumbdn.gif

Maybe your lucky and a Zakk Wylde fan rips them ot to replace them with some EMG's.tongue.gif

That's what I did, I was lucky enough to find two sets of 59's on the Bay. I put a set of the 59's in my 2013 Trad but left in the 300k pots. It does make a difference. It is still darker than the 2014 but it lost the mud. They are great pups.

Sooo does the 2014 have the brass nut or the 2015?? I don't wish to have this!!! I do wish to find a honey burst but would take a tobacco burst!!

No brass nuts until 2015. [thumbup]

This was my 2014 the day I got it. It has nibs and no G-Force or brass, only has the 12th fret inlay.

image.jpg1_zpsdsrffhqq.jpg

Sooo does the 2014 have the brass nut or the 2015?? I don't wish to have this!!! I do wish to find a honey burst but would take a tobacco burst!!

Tobacco is always my first choice. But I have to admit the Tobacco Sunburst on the 14 isn't really that dark.

If you like they honey I think you wouldn't have a big problem with TBS.

I guess I would have taken any of the finish options if the TSB wouldn't have been available.

The pickups are just crazy, and the specs are exactly what I was looking for.

And you could swap the trussrod cover for one with the Standard inscription, or a blank one like I did.msp_flapper.gif

Found this afew hours away, just teasing me, it has the brass nut and Ive stressed that I don't want the brass nut.. I Know the owner an he said 'don't worry ill find you a honey or tobacco burst in a 2014.. So im pretty pumped!!! My reasoning behind this is id like to stuff my customs in a corner an only use them once in a while, they are rare an Id like to keep em in good shape... A Traditional is just the answer, I can play it everyday an not be afraid of any wear an tear!!!

Archived