Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage SG Body identification??

R8Finland

Hi! I have almost bought oldie SG. Im just looking it first. Now i wanna know what is the year of the body. Its walnut, little piece pickguard, neck number is 700209, made in the USA. So neck is 99% 70-72? I'm little confused because pots are 1377534. Is there any marks in the body that I can check the age of it?

If those pots are original then that SG was made after the 34th week of 1975. AFAIK, the pots and serial number on the neck is the only way to date unless the pups have date stamps. Mid 70's dates are funny, the pots may be the best way to date, probably a 75 or 76.

That bridge is original from the mid-70's. The pickups might be filled with black epoxy in the back if they are stock and are also from that era as is the volute and square inlays. The date on the neck was probably not there until it was joined to the body, bodies do not have their own number. Btw, the body and neck are most likely mahogany not walnut, walnut may be the color.

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

That form of serial number was last used in 1975. However, it is impossible to tell on which week they changed to the "99 XXXXXX" format. The pots are 1975 week 34. Everything seems to be period-correct on this SG.

Body is made from mahogany.

Congratulations, nice instrument!

Cheers... Bence

Congrats on your nice buy. [thumbup] Those 1970's S-Gs are great, I love mine, too.

I like the harmonica bridge and the tarback pickups, however, I replaced the 100 kOhms (!) tone pots with 500 kOhms ones for "opening up" the tone. Rolling them back to about 4 brings back the "original" sound which I rarely use. I also love the deeper neck set and thus the classic neck pickup position like on Les Paul guitars.

Sadly they never made a reissue of them. I think the S-G and L6-S guitars were among the best Gibson products during the Norlin era.

Have fun with her and keep her in shape. She's for sure worth it!

Archived