Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a gimmick or does it actually work?

Kenan

I noticed very tiny scratches on the headstock (I never knew they were there but I guess I made them while changing strings), so I was wondering if I should give this a try or should I play it safe and leave those "character marks" as they are? [razz]

I never understood the waxing and polishing of a guitar to keep it looking new. Maybe a $7k plus special edition or limited run of something that will never be seen again or a collectors guitar like my '41 j-35......but a run of the mill lp like mine, I don't see the need. It's meant to be played and it will wear. It's not a shiny new lamorghini that sits in a garage and never moves.

Well,,, I'd say what good is it if you don't play it. It can be as shiney as you want but if you don't play it what good is it.. I have 2 les Paul customs,each limited runs of 25.. Each only 10 of that color.. Not the rarest but I got them cause everyone I know has a black beauty, so it's nice to see that not everyone has the same one.. I play them everyday.

Fender and Meguiars teamed up a while back to make a polishing kit that's pretty good.

The swirl and haze remover is kind of like a very light compound.

It might be enough to take out some of those light scratches you put in the back of your headstock. You could probably go with a heavier compound, but I would be super careful on the grit and how much pressure you applied.

Some folks are absolutely brutal on gear, and some folks are very gentle on gear. I'm pretty gentle, but I tell ya almost ever instrument I have has a few light scratches or something ding in it. If you don't play the thing and keep it in a safe place in the closet, it will be really good for a few lifetimes, but then you really ain't a guitar player, or your playing something else.

I try to keep all my guitars and amps in the same condition they were when I bought them. I won't purchase used gear that has not been taken care of. I clean off my guitars after I play them and put them back in their cases. I have several guitars I bought in the 60's that are still in beautiful condition. they do have play wear. Call me weird, but IMO, I believe that an instrument should be taken care of so it will last for more than a lifetime. There is a difference between wear usage and abuse. I am not trying to start any arguments, to each their own. If this products works, it's worth the money.

Kenny V

There are a lot of surface scratch removers out there. But these mostLy be most effective on the body's finish material. I have used Mcguire X on head stocks as well as virtuoso polish. You can minimize these but if they are deep, they may remain. This of course in my experience.

Hello!

I am one of those guys who keeps instruments in top condition. (In this corner of world, buying a Gibson takes a year's saving).

The finish on headstock veneer is very fragile. But, it's not the string change that does most of the damage. Rather, the care itself! It's worth not to attempt to polish it at all! Leave it as it from the beginning, and only remove the dust when necessary with genuine horse-fur brush (an expensive tool).

The problem with all polishes is that they work on larger surfaces, where You can work with wide circular motions. The headstock is small, and reach is obstructed by the posts. So, what people do there, is polishing in spots. That's when You add lots of scratches. To recover the clean, wet-looking appearance, You will need to remove the truss rod cover and the machine heads to be able to polish the entire surface at once.

If the scratches are too deep, Micro-Mesh is the solution, as shown here:

Good luck! Bence

A couple of words on the scratch remover in the original post...

To remove deep scratches (like the ones in the video caused by the sandpaper), You will have to remove lacquer just as deep as the scratches are!

This is the way these products works. But unlike sandpapers, they leave a very uniformly scratched surface (on the microscopic level), that the human eye can't see, due to superfine pattern.

When a scratch is too deep, You have to consider what is better: to remove lacquer that deep, or drop fill instead. Another option is to overspray with thin lacquer and buff the surface.

Cheers... Bence

I never understood the waxing and polishing of a guitar to keep it looking new. Maybe a $7k plus special edition or limited run of something that will never be seen again or a collectors guitar like my '41 j-35......but a run of the mill lp like mine, I don't see the need. It's meant to be played and it will wear. It's not a shiny new lamorghini that sits in a garage and never moves.

All this is true! BUT- if your '41 is in good or better condition, it's probably because SOMEONE took care of it during all the years in between then and now...

Today's shiney new, whiz-bang geetar will be (maybe) a collectors piece 40-50 years from now...just sayin'!

Brian

Archived