Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young's Amp Used For BIB and FTATR(WSY) Albums

capmaster

For years I didn't dare to write this, but now, unsure how much time is left for me to live, I think I post about a personal suspicion of mine caused by my expriences.

To my knowledge Angus Young officially used to blow his SGs via a Schaffer Vega wireless system either through several makes of Marshall stacks, or sometimes through a Marshall JTM 45 for recording. However, no matter how I try with - admittedly - several emulations of these, there's no way to get the tone of the "Back In Black" and "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" albums.

I found out that both Angus and Malcolm Young's sounds on these studio recordings can be obtained easily when using VOX AC30 non-top boost emulations.

Please don't throw rocks at me... [unsure] What do you think: Is it possible that they used VOX AC30 amps for recording then? Perhaps it was a secret re-amping move of Bob "Mutt" Lange? Could it be at last that they later fired him for doing this?

Would be a "bomb" if it was.

Know what you mean, i can not seem to get those tones either with my Marshall.

But you know the gear they used was best of Marshall head's and speakers, top recording studios and mic's.

And most important, the skills to the band.

Since you mention Back in Black i tried it a bit to day, with my 1987x marshall, sg and gretsch. Tried to set it up pretty clean, volume 5 on high treble channel.

But it was a bit to much, maybe turn down the guitar mic's a bit more. Had it on 8,5-9

Here's a tast, if anyone play it just stop it when the solo start. NOT VERY GOOD, it was a just a practice

Anyway one day.....

https://soundcloud.com/sellen/01-back-in

Archived