Gibson Brands Forums

How to (Joe Pass Epiphone)

Sunfist

I am looking to get a new guitar to primarily be a blues machine with a touch of jazz and I was in the local GC the other day looking at guitars. I noticed that on several of the electric hollow bodies, for example, the Joe Pass the bridge isn't really attached to the body of the guitar but could easily be moved around once the strings were loosened a bit. My question is, how do you determine where to place that. I am assuming it could easily move while, for example, changing strings and at that point, how do you get it back where it is supposed to go? I could just see someone outlining it with felt tip <g> I was also told by one of the store employee's that it was a good idea to replace that bridge, why is that? I would think Epiphone would start selling it (especially the new Pro model) with a different one if it really needed one. I also saw the (I assume new) ES-175 they had just got in, my oh my that is a fine looking guitar. Has anybody gotten one who can let me know how it sounds?

Yes, you are right. On virtually all jazz box archtops (I can't think of any that are different) the bridge is not attached to the guitar and can easily move. It is designed that way so that the bridge can resonate with the arch top.

When changing strings the procedure to adopt is change one at a time thus keeping the bridge firmly located. I have heard of owners either marking the top or placing tape over the bridge to keep it located if they have to take all the strings off.

As to your question of placement...

Generally if your floating bridge needs to be reset you would roughly measure the distance from your nut to the twelfth fret, then using that distance measure again from the twelfth fret towards the lower bout, or bottom of your guitar. the distance from the nut to the twelfth should be the distance from the twelfth to where the bridge is set.

It is not usually perfect that way, so you need to make minute adjustments to get your intonation set just right. This is a process the requires a bit of patience and practice, but after having played guitars with floating bridges for over 40 years you get used to it.

I am looking to get a new guitar to primarily be a blues machine with a touch of jazz and I was in the local GC the other day looking at guitars. I noticed that on several of the electric hollow bodies, for example, the Joe Pass the bridge isn't really attached to the body of the guitar but could easily be moved around once the strings were loosened a bit. My question is, how do you determine where to place that. I am assuming it could easily move while, for example, changing strings and at that point, how do you get it back where it is supposed to go? I could just see someone outlining it with felt tip <g> I was also told by one of the store employee's that it was a good idea to replace that bridge, why is that? I would think Epiphone would start selling it (especially the new Pro model) with a different one if it really needed one. I also saw the (I assume new) ES-175 they had just got in, my oh my that is a fine looking guitar. Has anybody gotten one who can let me know how it sounds?

the ES-175 Premium is sweet! sounds great as it's loaded with Gibson '57 Classics. I recommend checking it out. it's not much more than the Joe Pass.

I just got my ES-175 a couple of months ago. It is a joy to play.

ES-175_zpsnspppj2c.jpg

Archived