Gibson Brands Forums

SG Extra Slim

omni43

Well, I WAS intrigued, UNTIL I noticed the chamfer between the bottom horn, and the neck was much less pronounced,

and they've removed the horn tapering, as well! WTH??? [cursing] Gibson is too "Schizophrenic" (for me) when it comes to SG spec's. :rolleyes:

IF they ever decide to go back the the "early '60's" spec's, and keep the dot fret marker inlays (on this model)

I'd be very tempted! Until then...Sorry! [tongue][unsure]

CB

I'd need to try it before passing judgement, but for numeric comparison, I compared it to the Trucks SG with its slim taper profile.

Derek Trucks SG / XSlim:

neck width at 1st fret: .8" / .775"

neck width at 12th fret: .895" / .85"

fingerboard width at 1st fret: 1.695" / 1.55"

fingerboard width at highest fret: 2.26" / 2.14"

The fingerboard width at the nut is about 1/8" less, that might make for something, but the rest of the differences seem small -- hundredths of inches.

PS "chamfer."

I'd need to try it before passing judgement, but for numeric comparison, I compared it to the Trucks SG with its slim taper profile.

Derek Trucks SG / XSlim:

neck width at 1st fret: .8" / .775"

neck width at 12th fret: .895" / .85"

fingerboard width at 1st fret: 1.695" / 1.55"

fingerboard width at highest fret: 2.26" / 2.14"

The fingerboard width at the nut is about 1/8" less, that might make for something, but the rest of the differences seem small -- hundredths of inches.

PS "chamfer."

Thanks, I used the wrong spelling, which (of course) refers to the waxy, aromatic solid, of an essential oil! LOL

So, yeah...that SG doesn't have that, either! [biggrin]

It's been corrected!

CB

• 1 month later...

Archived