Gibson Brands Forums

Never thought it should come to this

Bent Olav Olsen

I have my 335, my telecaster and my MIM HSS strat. And I have been on the lookout for a standard goldtop. But now They're selling the dere Derek Teucks signature SG for 2000 $ (a 1500$ discount). And I definitely feel some lust for this guitar. Anything I should know about this particular model? Pros and cons?

IMO, that guitar is basically a 61 reissue with the added chrome plate and no pickguard. It used to have the same specs as the 61. They both were priced in the $2800 range right before the 61 was discontinued. Buy a used 61 and save even more.

Surely that will also help with any neck dive issues?

You know, Rabs, I've never had "neck dive" issues, with any of my SG's!

Now, I have played some, that had that issue...but, they were usually the

older "Faded" series "Specials," with the fatter necks. And, not ALL of

them, did that, even so. ??? [confused]

CB

Ok ok... message received... I will stop saying SGs neck dive... O:)

LOL...Well, I've been lucky (I guess?), in that ALL my SG purchases were of

models that don't have that "problem." They've all been very well balanced,

overall. So much so, that I've really never even thought about it, while

playing one.

But, I do hear about it, now and then...mostly on this forum. [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I happen to really like the faux tailpiece on the Derek Trucks model. Not being a whammy bar guy, this gives you the added bling AND the advantages of the stoptail.

I can't tell you anything about the production models, as the only one I've played was Derek's prototype, and it was a really cool guitar. Was that my opinion because it was a great guitar, or because it was Derek's? Probably a little of both!

I want to address the neck dive issue. When I decided to start guitar this year, I chose an Epiphone ST 400 pro in Pelham blue. Sounded great when trying it out, but I was sitting. When I strapped it on when I got home, WHAM-it was like a bomber. I bought the thickest strap possible, but still I was supporting it. Luckily I took it back and got a LPGA trad pro, which worked fine. I have always loved SG's, so when I went for my Gibson, I was nervous, but it had no neck dive and was supremely balanced. It's a 60's tribute and I have loved every moment.

Archived