Gibson Brands Forums

Olympic 16295 Iheritnence

Painted-Lady

I have recently inherited an Epiphone Olympic model 19295 from my father. I have found that it was made in Philadelphia in 1941, but have been unable to estimate what it is worth. Where would I find that out?

Also, what kind of care do I do to a vintage guitar? I want to it to be well cared for, but I don't want to do anything that would compromise it's value and sound.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

...have been unable to estimate what it is worth. Where would I find that out?

Google. :) This site has a lot of very old Epiphones for sale, at some fairly hefty prices, but no Olympics. It depends on the model. A 1937 Epiphone Deluxe is being offered at 5 grand on that site. The 1939 Zenith I've got is likely worth less than $1,000, maybe a lot less. The Epiwiki site has info on the Olympic. What's the condition of yours? Photos would help. You'll have to host them elsewhere, then link to here using the 'insert image' button.

Also, what kind of care do I do to a vintage guitar? I want to it to be well cared for, but I don't want to do anything that would compromise it's value and sound.

Apparently you're not into guitars, so I'd advise not to do anything yourself. Of course, it depends on what you want to do with the guitar. If you want to play it or put it in good playing condition, you'll want to find a local luthier or guitar tech with good reviews, and get his or her advice. It may need a setup, which includes new strings. If you just want to keep it, not play it, just keep it in its case. If it's an old chipboard case, get a new case for it and throw that cardboard thing away.

Sorry for the confusion. It's an Olympic 16295, not a 19295.

My father was a player, but I'm not. I inherited it because it has good memories for me. I have thought about learning, but haven't really decided.

It's in pretty good condition for a 70yr old guitar, however the neck has some issues so I would have to get it restored if I want to play it.

I'll look at the sites listed and see if I can get more information. Thanks guys.

Archived