Gibson Brands Forums

Info on guitar

Painted-Lady

I have recently inherited an Epiphone Olympic model 19295 from my father. I have found that it was made in Philadelphia in 1941, but have been unable to estimate what it is worth. Where would I find that out?

Also, what kind of care do I do to a vintage guitar? I want to it to be well cared for, but I don't want to do anything that would compromise it's value and sound.

I have also posted this in the Epiphone forum. Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Your guitar was made in New York City in either 1940 or 1943 depending on whether the serial number is in the 16000s or 19000s (you give both). These later larger body versions of the Olympic are not as sought after as the early 1930s smaller body guitars because of their association with Dave Rawlings. Generally though, I see 1940s Olympics in nice condition go in the $800 range so close to the price the VPG gives.

As to care, if the guitar has been sitting the first thing you should do is have it checked over by a good repair guy. After that the best way to keep it alive is to make sure it is properly humidified.

Best thing would be for it to be played regularly after a pro setup. Keep it strung with lighter gauge strings maybe just below standard pitch. Regardless, unless someone occasionally runs their fingers up and down the neck it will be hard to keep track of any changes in playability.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also try posting your query on the Gibson Gibson Vintage Instruments Forum. One rule of thumb is to leave it as original as possible and retain every item you might still have that was issued with it - hang tags, etc. And remember the finish would have been whatever they were using back then - not modern finishes like nitrocellulose - so be careful what you put on it. Usually, violin polish is safe - but Research it first. The intrinsic value might be to you - it was your father's. G'Luck.

Archived