Gibson Brands Forums

oh bloody hell

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I had an ache in my shoulder yesterday evening. Thought absolutely nothing of it. Went to bed and it was a little worse, couldn't sleep. Then it started to spread down into my chest. I bricked it and after a couple of hours of it getting steadily worse ans getting short of breath I decided hospital was a good idea and called an ambulance. As soon as I'd made that decision I really started to panic. Apparently I was seriously hyperventilating when the ambulance arrived. ECG and blood tests quickly made them very confident I wasn't having a heart attack and that it's unlikely there's any heart issue so a chest xray was next. Just waiting for that but they seem to think it's probably just muscular or nerves.

I feel like a right tit. Or a left one. It's all the same really. What a tit.

Hope its nothing serious. I have heard severe anxiety attacks can present symptoms similar to a heart attack.

Have you had any dental or other issues lately?

Maybe you should feel some tit, instead of like one, the other, or even a pair. [tongue]

Lets hope it's a one-off event or something very simple like muscle strain.

I feel like a right tit...

Not half-as-much as you would done had you NOT called an ambulance and it DID turn out to have been a heart-attack.

Keep us posted and look after yourself, Farns.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's all turned out a bit weird. After the chest xray was clear they just discharged me, still in agony and still unable to breath properly. I really think they came to the conclusion that I was a pain killer addict. They didn't even ask Mr how I was getting home.

Luckily I called my GP and they had an appointment for today. Apparently likely causes are pluracy, some other condition of the gristle where ribs meet sternum I can't remember the name of or a spine problem.

I just don't understand why they would discharge me and refuse me any pain killers. I could barely walk out of the place.

I even said that I have codene at home from the past brain injury and they never mentioned that I can't take that after the morphine they gave me. I only found out by calling the NHS advice line which my wife insisted I do before taking anything.

Hopefully the GP will have a sensible course of action.

Back in 2011 I had a bout of epididymitis, which means you feel like you walk around all day feeling like you got kicked in the nads within the last 60 seconds. I tried to get in to my regular Doctor and she was on vacation so I saw someone else. He basically accused me of wanting pain pills because my nad sack wasn't the size of a grapefruit and black.

I ate lots of Advil and Tylenol until my regular doctor got back and she gave me some hella hardcore 'one dose' anitbiotic.

Lots of pill freaks looking for some yummy opiates in doctor's offices and emergency rooms and us regular folk are tarred with the same brush unless we can prove otherwise.

Farns, you made the right decision about the ambulance and getting checked out at the hospital. When I was on my hometown's volunteer ambulance service back in the '80s there were several people that we were called to pick up and they had been fighting chest pain, shoulder ache and shortness of breath all night, thinking that the pain would stop and it did, because they called too late and ended up kicking the bucket. Doug

Guest Farnsbarns

By the time I got to the GP I'd taken ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time. I told him that had made far more difference than the morphine. He told me that the hospital, having done an ECG, blood test and chest xray, knew it was muscular skeletal when I told them morphine hadn't worked. He prescribed something like Diplofenac (can't remember exactly what it's called and I just got comfortable) which is a powerful anti-inflamatory and says in 2-3 days I'll be fine.

I can't work out why the hospital didn't give me that before discharging me. Never mind, all's well that ends well. Now I just have to deal with work who I sense will give me some jip for the day off.

I'm still kind of high on the elation of finding out I wasn't having a heart attack. I'm also very happy to have had a chest xray that was all clear after 20+ years of smoking. I know one thing. I'm stopping. A scare like that, as harmless as the situation was, will frighten most people into a healthier life style I suspect.

I had an ache in my shoulder yesterday evening. Thought absolutely nothing of it. Went to bed and it was a little worse, couldn't sleep. Then it started to spread down into my chest....

I had something similar a few weeks ago. Pain started in my right jaw, then right chest. Nothing excruciating, but definitely there. Very scary. Then it went away in about 10 minutes. I took a couple ibuprofen and kept my cell phone handy. I'd also been having some occasional left hand pain for months (hey, guitar, keyboards, no real surprise there). Over the next week I kept feeling a little jaw pain now and then, probably just being over-sensitive. I finally called my GP, and she said to go up to the ER right now for a chest xray and blood work. Well, OK.

Apparently if it's a heart attack (blockage), the blood will test positive for troponin. ["A troponin test measures the levels troponin T or troponin I proteins in the blood. These proteins are released when the heart muscle has been damaged, such as occurs with a heart attack."] Well, I was diagnosed with a little carpal tunnel, but like you, Farns, no heart attack. Whew.

They said to get an appointment for a treadmill stress test, which is coming up later today. I've been feeling fine since the ER and would rather go play golf instead, but.... might as well go through the whole rigamarole.

In your case, Farns, I think it was definitely a good idea to call an ambulance and go get checked out. No (sh)tit. Glad to hear you're going to make it!

Better safe than sorry.

The symptoms you describe almost exactly match what happens to me when my back goes out. Pain starts under right shoulder and gets worse, soon bent over almost double and can't take a full breath without agonising pain.

I have to lie down, take ibuprofen and paracetamol and it eventually goes back in. Might take a few days or a couple of weeks. But much better in last few years since I've been swimming regularly.

A heart attack is a lot more sudden.

Take care!

Your health is the most important thing you have. Without it, nothing else matters.

IMHO If all this is a 'wake up call' to get you to quit smoking and take better care of yourself, you should be glad it happened.

I'm glad it turned out OK, and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Notes

That are some good news man!

Nice to hear that everything is ok with your heart.

And don't worry about quitting smoking, first it's a pain in the arse.

But it won't be long and you will be really happy with your new life as a non-smoker.

I think one of the most important things I did in my life was to quit.

And I was one of those persons who really enjoyed it to smoke, I loved everything about it.

Exept of the price

Now I saving health and cash.

You can do it!

Best wishes and good recovery.

Glad its nothing serious Farns!

Costochondritis is the condition that was probably mentioned. I suffer from it. Its caused by a viral infection in the cartilage between the sternum and Rib cage. Its bloody painful and gives symptoms similar to a heart attack.

Its refered to as Tietze syndrome.

I'll give you a call later.

Regards

Geeze!

I'd be a little concerned at the hospitals process too.

take care of yerself Farns.

Yeah well that's the British national health service for you in 2015...

Don't get me wrong, we have a system where you can walk into a hospital and get free treatment you don't need any insurance or anything which is amazing.. BUT they are at such a breaking point due to spending cuts and an increasing population (and some REALLY bad management), the service you get these days is slightly dodgy at best.... its kind of a crap shoot if you will actually get someone who knows what they are even talking about or not.....

I had an ache in my shoulder yesterday evening. Thought absolutely nothing of it. Went to bed and it was a little worse, couldn't sleep. Then it started to spread down into my chest. I bricked it and after a couple of hours of it getting steadily worse ans getting short of breath I decided hospital was a good idea and called an ambulance. As soon as I'd made that decision I really started to panic. Apparently I was seriously hyperventilating when the ambulance arrived. ECG and blood tests quickly made them very confident I wasn't having a heart attack and that it's unlikely there's any heart issue so a chest xray was next. Just waiting for that but they seem to think it's probably just muscular or nerves.

I feel like a right tit. Or a left one. It's all the same really. What a tit.

FARNS! You DID THE RIGHT THING!

Two years ago I had chest pains while shoveling snow- they went away when I stopped. That repeated a few times. Long story short- went to the Dr's then the hospital. My LDA (Left descending aeorta) was 95% blocked. Dr. told me they call it the "Widow Maker"- IF a piece of placque would have broken free I'd have been a dead guy! I have a stent now and am doing fine!

Best wishes and prayers to you, our friend!

Brian

PS- What's wrong with a tit??!!

Archived