Gibson Brands Forums

In Praise of the LP Studio

SteveFord

There are so many threads just beating the snot out of Gibson for finish flaws or wholesale changes to the models and prices through the roof and what not so...

Every time I pick up my 2005 Wine Red Les Paul Studio I'm amazed at how much guitar it is for the money. It has a great 50s profile neck, great pick ups, gold plated hardware, good tuners, it's a handsome instrument and it just plays and sounds as good as anything I've ever owned. I tried around 6 or 8 Les Pauls at Guitar Center when I was looking for one and this was just right.

The previous owner took real good care of it and while it's missing the fancy schmancy bits, I bought it to be a guitar to play and enjoy and for that, it's just perfect.

As one fellow put it, it's the best 40 pounds of guitar money can buy!

lpstudio1_zpspp8y5j6s.jpg

lpstudio2_zpshprrn1re.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys...guys! Everybody knows Gibson has perfected the aging process for plastics, as they are vital to the tone! That's why they rent space at area 52 (right next to 51..)

+1000 re: Gibson Studio!

Glad you are happy! I'd not trade my Studio for a Traditional! I love it that much!

OK...maybe IF the traditional played, looked, felt and sounded just like my Studio AND it had 'Tea Burst' finish!

VIVA the Studio!

Brian

Yup.. Studios are great value for what they are...

I bought my LP 60s Tribute Goldtop for £750 brand new... At that time a Standard was £1900 and a Trad or Classic about £1500.. So that's half the price for no binding or shiny finish.. madness.. (it even has trapezoid inlays)

And yet they can play and sound just as good as any guitar in the world if you find the right one for you...

(same with my Double Cut faded which was even cheaper).

Thanks to Silvercrow, I guess I can put away the barbecue fluid for the time being. God bless the boffins at Gibson's Tone Plastics Division! I wonder if adding pointers would be detrimental to the tone of the speed knobs?

When I went shopping one thing I remember was picking up a LP double cutaway with the gloss finish and humbuckers and it was around $1800 or thereabouts and I tried out a couple that were in the $2000-2400 range. None of them did it for me except for this Studio was only $600 with case. I bought this one basically with my eyes closed because looks weren't a factor, it was how it felt to me.

I've since purchased fancier and more expensive Les Pauls but they're long gone - the Studio remains.

I hear ya!!

My $450 Studio isn't going anywhere..

Just too darn sweet & tone for weeks!!

I figure every time I'm at GC & try them overpriced new guitars that don't feel as good or sound as good & think of how good a deal I got on this Studio LP..

I've had a Custom, Classic & a Standard & sold them & the Studio remains..

Beautiful Studio. One of my favorite combinations; wine red and gold.

My Studio is a '14 Pro model with speed knobs. I added pointers and the tone quality went thru the roof! A must add for true tone hounds [thumbup]

I love my 2014, no binding, no auto tune and it has awesome color....I bought a second one too same year, a little different in the electronics one is a Pro the 1st is a deluxe II. The deluxe has the 60's profile neck and the other the 50's...I like them both. I have to know "what are pointers?"

I love my 2014, no binding, no auto tune and it has awesome color....I bought a second one too same year, a little different in the electronics one is a Pro the 1st is a deluxe II. The deluxe has the 60's profile neck and the other the 50's...I like them both. I have to know "what are pointers?"

The little metal pointy things you sometimes find under the volume and tone knobs to indicate what the number is...

196871311_o_zpsaounk9zi.jpg

Studio's are simply awesome.

Good quality, good price, play great, sound great, tons of available options over the years.....one of the best values in guitars ever.

Love my 97 Gem

101_0189_zps3580f332.jpg

NHTom

I love your '97 Gem too. The pickup combo looks perfect to boot!

If you ever want to sell it ...

That is a nice looking combo with the P90 and humbucker.

Now I'm confused - I read on the internet that pointers were known "tone suckers" but here I'm being told that there's some variation???

Binding and beautiful tops are great but these really are Gibson's best bang for the buck guitars. They weigh a ton and there's that killer plastic tone vibe thing going on (let's not forget the tuners, gen-u-wine plastic buttons!) - a stroke of genius!

Take that, Fender!

My Studio is a '14 Pro model with speed knobs. I added pointers and the tone quality went thru the roof! A must add for true tone hounds [thumbup]

Lots of speed knobs here, but pointers only are on my Traditional, my L6-S, my L6S and - my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus [scared] I guess I have to try them on some other guitars, too [rolleyes]

Lots of speed knobs here, but pointers only are on my Traditional, my L6-S, my L6S and - my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus [scared] I guess I have to try them on some other guitars, too [rolleyes]

Hello Capmaster!

It's an often overlooked factor of TONE.

I have reflector knobs on all my Les Pauls. It enhances the sustain, as they reflect and project the tone.

My L6S has black speed knobs. They, - being black - absorb the waves, thus making the instrument darker sounding. But it's OK on an all-maple guitar.

[wink]

Best wishes... Bence

BobF,

You are an evil man.

We need to do a spoof article: Speed Knobs: The Cult of TONE (it's all about the plastic).

Looking at that beautiful Alpine White with the ebony board, it's just astonishing how you can get such a great instrument for not a whole lot of money. Whoever came up with the LP Studio idea deserves a raise.

Archived