Gibson Brands Forums

Help with nitro polish

58 Relic

Good Morning I am looking for some good recommendations for guitar polish for Gibson nitro finishes . It the moment I use Gibson Luthiers Choice but the bottle is so small and does not last too long combating the sticky feel of the finish of the guitar during use ie forearm and neck any help would be great .Thanks

Until the nitro cures fully then it's a bit of 'nature of the beast'i think.

It's very annoying. Sing play in long sleeves and others , believe it or not, have cut the toes out of socks and pulled then over arm.

I may be wrong, but would polishing not add a layer on top , like polishing a car? Hence adding to the time needed to cure the nitro?

I'd just use a damp cloth for now.

While discussing this topic, I was wondering if there's a way to professionally sand down the polish on the back of the neck so it's easier to slide up and down the neck without stickiness?

And +1 for Virtuoso polish and cleaner. for buffing out marks and smudges. In prior discussions on the board, Virtuoso always gets many positive mentions.

All points covered well.... [thumbup]

The alternative approach is to allow more or less natural ageing into the equation

Personally I would not be applying polish too often

There are some very expensive top end guitars around with poly finishes which have a deep lustrous gloss requiring a light buff to retain the 'as new' appearance....

It's all down to personal taste

V

:-({|=

While discussing this topic, I was wondering if there's a way to professionally sand down the polish on the back of the neck so it's easier to slide up and down the neck without stickiness?

Yep. 0000 steel wool pad from the hardware store will safely knock the gloss off the neck, if that's what you want to do. Wipe it down afterwards to pice up the residue and you're good to go.

And another [thumbup] for Virtuoso products!

Smurf- haven't you tried the Virtuoso on the back of the guitar's neck? It's ability to add a smooth feel back there is a big upgrade to the feel of the guitar for the fretting hand.

Virtuoso is the bomb..

for a good quick cleaner tho.. Gerlitz Smudge Off is pretty good stuff.... especially on this soft nitro gibby necks until the nitro finally fully cures.

it's not a polish, but it's a great cleaner, I use that regularly, saving the virutoso products for a deeper cleaning sessions (maybe once a year?)

It took my J45 about 8 months to get past that new finish hastle. I cleaned it with Virtuoso and Gibson pump polish both. The Virtuoso is great on the arm rash.

I love the smell of nitro, but I am always scared the finish will get messed up with sunscreen or bugspray or something. I'm not particularly worried about it getting dinged or road worn, but I'd rather it not have some big obvious blemish on it either.

Thanks for the info. I've always been miserly with the Virtuoso stuff. Maybe a little more on the back of the neck will give me the desired feel. I also always check the internet before using cleaner or polish, forgetting which is the stronger of the two and settling for the less intense choice. (My memory is terrible with important little details like this. However, if you wish for me to name the people in 9th grade homeroom I can do THAT without thinking twice.)

Yep. 0000 steel wool pad from the hardware store will safely knock the gloss off the neck, if that's what you want to do. Wipe it down afterwards to pice up the residue and you're good to go.

And another [thumbup] for Virtuoso products!

Hi Buc,

Any other tips on how to take the gloss off the neck? ie. piece of tape at the nut and heel? Will I know if I am taking it too deep? I don't want to take the finish off completely, just the gloss. I don't want to screw up my guitar, so any useful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Buc,

Any other tips on how to take the gloss off the neck? ie. piece of tape at the nut and heel? Will I know if I am taking it too deep? I don't want to take the finish off completely, just the gloss. I don't want to screw up my guitar, so any useful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

I used a car buffing compound (paste) to knock the poly finish down off my $99 Great Divide guitar - worked pretty well. YMMV.

You could try some 5000 grit sandpaper, it should be available at auto parts stores. I got some 5000 3M TRIZACT PERFORANCE SANPAPER at AutoZone. It has a foam backing and if you run your finger over it, it doesn't feel like sandpaper at all because the grit is so fine. You need to moisten it for use. Experiment on a little spot using very little pressure. If you don't like the effect, you can buff it back to a shine easily.

I also always check the internet before using cleaner or polish, forgetting which is the stronger of the two and settling for the less intense choice.

Oh, that's simple. The bottle on the left side of my shelf is the stronger one.[rolleyes]

Do the same here, Fullmental, on the left side; that's because in true OCD fashion, they're in alphabetical order- cleaner... polish. Right ? ; ).

And what's all this about sanding &/or steel wool? If it's a gloss neck, the Virtuoso polish will give a smooth glide to the neck. Never had experienced the new lacquer stickies reported by some. Just grab the polish; it's formulated to work with nitro.

And what's all this about sanding &/or steel wool? If it's a gloss neck, the Virtuoso polish will give a smooth glide to the neck.

Beats me, I never felt the need to sand down a neck. I have used these really fine sandpapers when re-finishing damage. But he said he wanted to "take the gloss off", it should work for that.

Do the same here, Fullmental, on the left side; that's because in true OCD fashion, they're in alphabetical order- cleaner... polish. Right ? ; ).

Oh, OCD, now that explains why I do it that way. Thanks 62burst!

I must admit every time I go to use this stuff I have to stop for a minute and consider the difference between cleaner and polish.

I have kind of a similar but probably unrelated issue.

My Martin M-36--I got it with a satin back/sides/neck and gloss top. Why I did this, I don't know (I think it took some money off the final tab).

It's funny, because after five years, it has shiny spots. It has them in the usual places, of course, like where my arm rests on top, but there are also shiny spots where it rests on my leg, and on back I guess where my clothing has "buffed" it to a shine?? No idea. I do play topless sometimes, so... could be that...

Good thing I never want to sell it!

I guess the shine spots are kind of neat, but sometimes I wonder if there is some way to just make the whole thing shiny instead of just the spots.

1440999821[/url]' post='1689640']

I do play topless sometimes, so... could be that...

I guess the shine spots are kind of neat, but sometimes I wonder if there is some way to just make the whole thing shiny instead of just the spots.

msp_biggrin.gif It's probably just me and my editing but there are some really good jokes here! Take 'er away boys!msp_biggrin.gif

Until the nitro cures fully then it's a bit of 'nature of the beast'i think.

It's very annoying. Sing play in long sleeves and others , believe it or not, have cut the toes out of socks and pulled then over arm.

I may be wrong, but would polishing not add a layer on top , like polishing a car? Hence adding to the time needed to cure the nitro?

I'd just use a damp cloth for now.

I know for myself a damp cloth wouldn't cut it, all it would do on my Advanced Jumbo is smear the reaction from my skin and leave a haze. I found what worked best for me was a little bit of lighter fluid on a clean cloth.

Nope, always got something covering the lower torso area. :)

Which makes me think, I guess the shiny spots must come from clothing. I don't think I ever have it against a bare leg... would not be comfy...

So I guess that mean everyone can play topless with confidence!!!!!!!!

Archived