Gibson Brands Forums

New Slightly Strange Strap day

Rabs

So a friend of mine came over tonight....

His father runs some really big buildings in central London so is always finding things left behind when companies move and being given stuff.. The most amazing was a real Platinum Record award for Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction which I had hanging on my wall for several years...

Anyway.. Today his dad gave me a free guitar strap that he was given or was found....

And its pretty decent...

DSC_0116_zpsyphow5mx.jpg

Nice leather back

DSC_0117_zpsej7mxctf.jpg

BUT it has something on it ive never seen before... under each peg hole is another hole with a metal ring inside it... Anyone know what that would be for..??? Kinda odd

DSC_0118_zpszbesxpoj.jpg

Still who cares... nice free strap... im not complaining :)

You know how annoying it is to play guitar with keys in your pocket??

Do you place your keys on top of your amp during a show only to find they vibrated off and now you are wasting valuable break down time finding your keys??

Let me introduce to you the strap key ring!

Seriously though, happy NS^3 day

You know how annoying it is to play guitar with keys in your pocket??

Do you place your keys on top of your amp during a show only to find they vibrated off and now you are wasting valuable break down time finding your keys??

Let me introduce to you the strap key ring!

haha...

maybe the previous owner also used it as a belt when they wernt playing :)

I'm thinking there used to be a guitar connected to that strap and as it was left behind in a building where someone had rented space, that guitar was probably mounted on the wall as a decoration. The extra rings could have been used to attach to nails in the wall to hang the guitar on….

BTW I have a couple of those straps one I got from someone who used to play bass back in the 80's, the other came with a new Fender Strat I bought a few years ago. The one you have looks to be even older, 60's or 70's… My 80's strap has a metal ring that attaches the part that fastens to the guitar to the strap:

Like this:

Photo%20on%208-31-15%20at%202.46%20PM_zpsoxaijkn9.jpg

The other modern one has a plastic ring that attaches the part that fastens to the guitar to the strap:

Like this:

Photo%20on%208-31-15%20at%202.46%20PM%202_zpsuvq0b96z.jpg

Note that on both of my straps there are no rivets like on yours, mine are both stitched… That's why I'd say your strap is older...

I'm thinking there used to be a guitar connected to that strap and as it was left behind in a building where someone had rented space, that guitar was probably mounted on the wall as a decoration. The extra rings could have been used to attach to nails in the wall to hang the guitar on….

Hmm.. interesting idea..

And that could very well be.. I know that my friends father manages buildings for several recording companies and music magazines etc (general multi media companies)...

And thanks for that info on the strap (about it being older)... All very interesting :)

Archived