Gibson Brands Forums

Bad batch of headstock paint on sunburst Pro IV Classic Thunderbirds?

optofonik

Is there a problem with the Classic Pro IV sunburst versions? The Alpine White versions are in about every store but the sunburst T-Birds are difficult to find in what is arguably the largest music market in country, Southern California.

The few Classic Pro IV sunburst versions I've found do not have the trademark two-tone headstock pictured on the product page. This leads me to believe someone in Indonesia didn't read the finishing specs correctly and as a result there is a bad batch with all black headstocks - not what I want.

What leads me to wonder this is that all the lower end, non- Pro IV, sunburst models I've seen have the clearly defined, signature two-tone headstock. The Alpine White version's traditional two-tone headstock is very clearly quite obviously well defined. It would seem odd that only one version would have an all black headstock. The two-tone headstock is, after all, a signature design element of all T-Birds that I know of. The lack of availability also makes me wonder if, after a few were distributed, Gibson caught the mistake and paused distribution in order to fix the issue.

I wonder if anyone has ordered a sunburst Epi Classic Pro IV T-Bird directly from Gibson and seen different.

• 1 month later...

Is there a problem with the Classic Pro IV sunburst versions? The Alpine White versions are in about every store but the sunburst T-Birds are difficult to find in what is arguably the largest music market in country, Southern California.

The few Classic Pro IV sunburst versions I've found do not have the trademark two-tone headstock pictured on the product page. This leads me to believe someone in Indonesia didn't read the finishing specs correctly and as a result there is a bad batch with all black headstocks - not what I want.

What leads me to wonder this is that all the lower end, non- Pro IV, sunburst models I've seen have the clearly defined, signature two-tone headstock. The Alpine White version's traditional two-tone headstock is very clearly quite obviously well defined. It would seem odd that only one version would have an all black headstock. The two-tone headstock is, after all, a signature design element of all T-Birds that I know of. The lack of availability also makes me wonder if, after a few were distributed, Gibson caught the mistake and paused distribution in order to fix the issue.

I wonder if anyone has ordered a sunburst Epi Classic Pro IV T-Bird directly from Gibson and seen different.

another thing to take into consideration is that the pics on the product page are usually prototypes which may differ slightly from the production model. also, the difference between the lower end t-bird color and the Classic Pro could be a result of different factories building the two. knowing how Epiphone produces thousands of guitars and basses a month; I wouldn't think they would stop production on something as minimal as a darker color of the headstock. especially on a model that has a burst where they can let it go.

Archived