Gibson Brands Forums

Hello...Any J-35 fan out there?

jimmyboy

I don't own one but I'm a big fan of this model. I love the appointments like the logo and golden banner as well as the firestripe guard. The ones I have tried have been bright guitars which I like. You could easily pay three times as much and not get a guitar as good.

Lars

I haven't bonded with any of the natural top (recent edition) J35s that I've tried.

But my FVG J35 was the best Gibson that I've owned.

And a custom "Collector's Edition" I played at Fuller's in January was it's equal.

People seems to talk about J-15 and J-45 a lot these day.Wondering if everybody have forgotten about the J-35.I love mine no doubt.Just want to hear if there are any J-35 fan out there.Have a nice day, folk.

Not only have I not forgotten about the J-35, I've got one headed my way! =D>

I was going back-and-forth between a J-15 and a J-35. But in the end, I liked the sound of the J-35 best—and the shorter-scale neck was also an attractive selling point for me.

I will be posting a "NGD" thread with pics in the very-near future!

[thumbup]

A trifecta? Whoa. I think you should post pics of the three on your very own thread. It's important for the folks with GAS to be encouraged to follow your lead.

Maybe even a context to see who can the first to purchase a J200, J45 and Hummingbird all at one time!

Or a Southern Jumbo, Dove and J-35?

Or a J-45, LG-2, Hummingbird?

Or...the possibilities are endless. It's up to you, sir, to get us started!

Damn, rockorick. I am impressed and now re-intrigued about the J35. Already have a J15. Not real interested in the J29, but the J35 is something I've had a continuous casual interest in. I guess we'll see....and hey, good to have you on the forum........And Darlings67, we're real interested to see your pics and hear a review. [thumbup]

Not only have I not forgotten about the J-35, I've got one headed my way! =D>

I was going back-and-forth between a J-15 and a J-35. But in the end, I liked the sound of the J-35 best—and the shorter-scale neck was also an attractive selling point for me.

I will be posting a "NGD" thread with pics in the very-near future!

[thumbup]

The J-15 and J-35 both have the 24.75" scale length though, right? (not that there's anything wrong with that--love it!)

And here I was thinking no one talks about the J-15 anymore! :P

• 2 weeks later...

My J-35 is loud and it is an excellent finger style guitar. I installed a bone saddle/pins and got a professional set up. The playability, balance, tone and volume are spot on! But it's not my favorite for hard strumming with a pick. It sounds a bit harsh when driven hard but with a soft hand it is fantastic!

When I found my J-35 I had been looking for a Martin D-18, but after comparing the two, I fell for the Gibson sound and my adventure with my J-35 started. I am still learning how to play guitar, (rhythm playing is okay, but am trying to figure out more picking), but over the last year and a half that I have had the Gibson, I have detected a change in it's sound. It is opening up beautifully. I baby it, so it is not taken out of my house very often, but twice a year my brother in law and I play gigs at our local music fest and town celebration. It is by far, the best sounding acoustic at those gigs. My nephew (Taylor owner and professional musician) loves it when I show up, because he gets to play the J-35 plugged in to their amps. I think that he probably will buy one when he thinks his Taylor is ready to move on to one of his sons. I have never compared it to a J-45, J-15 or J-29, but my J-35 changed my GAS from Martin to Gibson, and I think that says a lot for maybe the whole line of "J" Gibson Acoustics. [thumbup]

I have a J-35 and absolutely love it. It has that full woody, thumpy sound people look for in a Gibson. It's not my loudest guitar, but it may be my favorite player. It is very lightly built and has a round neck profile that feels a little better to me than the slimmer necks on my J-45's. I probably spend more time with the J-35 in my hands than any of my other guitars.

One recommendation I would have for prospective J-35 buyers is to get a mirror and check out the mounting holes in the bridgeplate. Gibson drills them really close to the bridge pin holes. In the case of mine, the roughly cut edges of the holes actually touch each other and it looks a little sloppy. The mounting holes are filled with glue during construction, so it's not an open hole. But I've had a bent pin at this location (G string) which I suspect was the result of the pin hole being less than clean. Take a peek and make sure you are comfortable with how it looks in there before you walk out of the store with one.

I posted this pic in another thread, but I'll post it again here to show people what I am talking about.

002%202_zpssd3xtmel.jpg

Archived