Gibson Brands Forums

2012 1930's SJ200 Maple

drathbun

HI have an opportunity to obtain a 2012 1930's SJ200 reissue. From what I can discover, there were 75 rosewood and 75 maple (vintage sunburst) units built. It come with a faux ostrich skin, green plush lined case with interior hygrometer and a certificate of authentication. I've played it for about five minutes and it sounds awesome.

I would have to sell my 2010 J200 Standard to get the SJ200. The give-ups for me would be, the SJ doesn't have a pickup (vintage reissue of course) and it doesn't have nearly the flame of my J200 which has a crazy amount of flame for a Standard (I got lucky). The pluses with the SJ are the tone (amazing), the pearl inlays and script logo, the classic engraved and hand painted pick guard and the case. Plus the fact that it is one of 75. I would probably put an LRBaggs iBeam or a K&K Pure Western pickup into it.

Anyone have experience of the 30's SJ200 model that was released in 2012?

Here is an image of one with the case. This is not the one that I have an opportunity to obtain. The one in the image is a rosewood B/S.

original.jpg

Doug,

Only you know your finances and how attached you are to the guitar you own, but if the tone on this Maple J200 captures your heart and mind and you believe it is superior enough to the guitar you own for the hassle, then by all means, go for it. But ONLY if the tone is better. I think the pearl inlays and limited edition stuff gets equalled out by the beauty of the figured wood on your standard. So tone alone (and $$$) should decide it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Cheers!

Those are tough choices. The one pictured is a 4 ribbon bridge. Is your 2010 a 4 ribbon or 2 ribbon? If you decide on the 2012 sounds better, and fits the bill - please reconsider instlltion of an I-Beam as the pickup. I do not think I am in the minority here, the I-Beam, in my experience, is a feedback prone, boomy out-dated pickup. Good luck in the coin-toss decision.

I am with Dan, but then again, I don't really like pickups in general. :) Might want to look into a Baggs Lyric, though.....!!!

This is a tough decision you have here... I wouldn't be persuaded by which is fancier or more limited; I'd go with which you like best.

If someone came along with a superior version of my M-36, I think I'd still have to stick with mine. There are even some things about mine I don't like (I think I'd prefer regular old sitka spruce instead of the Italian Alpine mine has), but I am too dang attached to it.

Hard decision...

I personally wouldn't sell the standard if it's that good , when I even think about selling a guitar I just think of all the gigs and times spent together and my mind is changed . Why is the other guitar being sold ? If it's that good I would want to keep it . But also think about the funds you could loose selling your standard . Having said all this if your minds made up good luck , one hell of a guitar .

Doug,

Those don't come up for sale often , if you like the tone get it .

Here's my lefty in rosewood :

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

JC

Holy crap that's gorgeous Juan Carlos, I'm beginning to think pictures like these can be harmful to my wallet.

J200s are awesome, regardless. I got quite enamored with one at the local shop here a few years ago. The sell point for me was the way the bass popped out and stood out against the treble line--a fingerpickers dream. The down side was that the dimensions of the thing are totally impractical for a guy like me. And that it took medium strings to get the best tone out of the thing, which made it a bear to play. Not that any of this helps you, Dan. But the good news is, you cant loose.

Here are a couple of photos of my J200 Standard. Thanks for all of your insights. I might have to go with tone but the difference in price between them after selling my J200 might trump the tone. We'll see and I'll let you know.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of my J200 Standard. Thanks for all of your insights. I might have to go with tone but the difference in price between them after selling my J200 might trump the tone. We'll see and I'll let you know.

That is a pretty piece of maple. What do you think you would sell it for?

1441162061[/url]' post='1690171']

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Good Morning That is one stunning looking and no doubt sounding guitar . The flame on the back of the neck is one of the best examples I've seen for a long time AAAAA ? . My Burns Drifter is very close but that's electric so it doesn't count Ha Ha .This is one example for me why Gibson acoustics are so iconic new and old , after looking at this example why would someone buy a bland looking wooden box msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

We had one in the shop back when they came out. It sold quickly. Amazing sounding guitar. Very cool vibe. like others have said, it comes down to whether or not YOU love it and the dollars work out for a deal. if it helps, they were tagged at $6699 when new. (not that it directly has an impact on today's value)

Keith

We had one in the shop back when they came out. It sold quickly. Amazing sounding guitar. Very cool vibe. like others have said, it comes down to whether or not YOU love it and the dollars work out for a deal. if it helps, they were tagged at $6699 when new. (not that it directly has an impact on today's value)

Keith

Thanks Modoc! Yeah, the owner said he paid about $7500 for it (Cdn) new in 2012. I won't know for a couple weeks whether I can get it or not.

I've heard rumors that it will be standard on the 2017 models along with E-tune.

Such a nice guitar.

Thanks! Yes it is a beautiful instrument. Don't knock the GForce tuners. They are really quite wonderful! It would just be nice if Gibson offered them as an option, not a requirement. I hear Gibson may be changing their minds about the GForce, Zero brass nut and the no-satin model policies as soon as the 2016 model year. (edit: I meant 2017 as in NEXT year not the current 2016 model year)

However, as long as Bozeman can continue to make such amazing guitars that glow as this one does, they won't need to resort to LED's and gizmos on the acoustic models.

Aren't we already in the 2016 model year? I'm confused, because I own a 2016 model (which is beyond confusing already since this is 2015--and it being 2015 is already confusing enough--swear it was 1995 last week...

I think if you look at the back of the headstock of your guitar, you'll find a 2015 date in the serial number code. That makes it a 2015. They won't put the 2016 code into a serial number until January 1, 2016.

The serial number code is like this:

YDDDYPPP

YY- Year

DDD - Day of the year

PPP - instrument rank and plant code (which plant and which number guitar stamped that day - Bozeman #'s are 001 to 299)

However, your point is well made. I guess guitars aren't unlike cars in a way. The next year's model here on the lot today but built last year.

So I should amend my previous comment about the "next model year" to say 2017.

Archived