Gibson Brands Forums

What is a Gibson Nouveau?

vw1300

Nouveau necks and bodies were made in Japan and then assembled and finished in Nashville, USA in 1986 (Bozeman did not open 'til 1989). I think there were six and twelve string models. In 1987, Gibson shifted production entirely to Japan, and sold the Nouveaus as Epiphone models. There were both flattops and electrics in the Nouveau by Gibson and Nouveau by Epiphone line. The line was discontinued in 1989.

Red 333

Thanks! I suspected it was some kind of stopgap production scheme until they figured out how they were really going to do flattops. I wonder how they sound?

At the acoustic jams I run, one of the jammers owns one in his collection and sometimes brings it. I believe it's a "by Gibson" one. It's a natural finish one and the sides and back are also light natural finished. He's let me play it. It plays, looks, and sounds pretty good. Kinda Gibson boomy...

It's owner iis kinda proud of it as it is so unique. One doesn't see them too often. He also owns a bunch of actual Gibsons.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 5 months later...

I've got one and I love it! They sound nice and boomy, but with a pretty fat midrange. Not for everybody, though.

Archived