Gibson Brands Forums

U.P.S. Damage again

brc

I had three guitars being shipped by UPS this week, and so far two have arrived and both cases were damaged.

Now I am worried about the vintage Guild I bought last week that is " due" to be delivered tomorrow could make it three out of three if it is damaged .

I know they don't read the tags and labels on the boxes that say FRAGILE and NOTHING ON TOP or THIS END END UP but damn, so far two out of three damaged packages is Bull - sh--

I actually have had better luck with USPS but these boxes were just over in size on what the U.S. mail would deliver.

Enough to piss some one off for sure.

I worked a short stint at UPS while attending college. The carnage is ridiculous.

Much of it is damaged on the rollers before ever being put in the trailer of the over-the-road trucks.

And one person is usually responsible for loading more than one truck.

One gets behind and they pull someone else, then the other gets behind and so on and so on.

It is often due to the fault of management's preference for speed over care rather than employee indifference.

There are, however, some who could care less as long as they collect that paycheck.

UPS is my LAST choice for shipping and I would never use it without getting insurance above what they include in the rate paid.

I'd prefer FedEx or DHL for anything beyond USPS limits.

Thanks Charlie, it really is a nut house around there.

I am surprised most of the packages are not lost or damaged.

If the third package being delivered tomorrow is damaged, it's going to look kind of strange having three damage claims turned in by the same person in the same week.

At least all three had insurance on them before they were shipped.

I tend to believe it's as much regional as anything.

I read about stories on the net about UPS being worse than FEDEX, but around here, UPS is a much better bet, with FEDEX having a much worse record. I used to work downtown, and would often share loading docks with both. UPS drivers treat the packages much better than the others guys. In fact, it almost seems it would be the policy for a Fedex driver to drop the packages from the back of the truck, whether it needed it or not.

One time I shipped a road case by UPS. It was boxed up and they busted 2 of the casters off the bottom. I told the guy to keep the thing and fix it if he wanted.

Filing a claim is like poking yourself in the eye every two seconds for like an hour. After an hour you know better than to try that again.

The two that were damaged are two that I shipped out.

The sturdy cardboard boxes were crushed and both guitar cases were damaged, but not the guitars.

I shipped one to my brother in Florida, and one to some one who bought one of my guitars.

My brother contacted UPS and it sounds like UPS is sending a rep to his house to inspect the damage.

He was told there are two options on how to deal with damage.

Send the damaged item into UPS for them to inspect it, or they will come to your home to inspect it.

I have never heard of that before.

The second one, the new owner of the guitar is filing a damage claim with UPS.

The guitar I was to receive on Tues. never arrived.

They said delivery between 11:30 am and 3:30 pm and I received an e-mail at 5:45 pm saying the delivery was rescheduled for the next day (today)

But all three guitar deliveries were late from 1 to 3 days.

If the vintage Guild I bought last week does arrive today, and there is damage, I will post photos and also be filing another damage claim.

The guy at the UPS store told me a claim could be filed from either party, the one who shipped the package, or the one who received the package.3

hey BRC,

I had an amp destroyed en-route to me about 12 years back, Since the store was actually the "customer".. I was not involved after I filed the claim. UPS picked it up and that was the last I saw of it.

for anything you ship, they should work with you, anything shipped to you, you will really not be part of the process, but in my case, the store was really good about communicating with me.

took a few weeks as I recall but UPS made good on it.

in the case of a damaged CASE not the Guitar... I guess they would take the CASE????

and then replace that? not sure how that works, but I'd be interested in knowing the outcome.

Good luck!

I tend to believe it's as much regional as anything.

I read about stories on the net about UPS being worse than FEDEX, but around here, UPS is a much better bet, with FEDEX having a much worse record. I used to work downtown, and would often share loading docks with both. UPS drivers treat the packages much better than the others guys. In fact, it almost seems it would be the policy for a Fedex driver to drop the packages from the back of the truck, whether it needed it or not.

Agreed. And, if it stays as ground freight and not air the odds are much better for decent care. I worked the UPS sort long ago in the 70ies and for sure things are big time different now. But, if the object avoids the jets as cargo it stands a better chance to avoid injury.

I had three guitars being shipped by UPS this week, and so far two have arrived and both cases were damaged.

Now I am worried about the vintage Guild I bought last week that is " due" to be delivered tomorrow could make it three out of three if it is damaged .

I know they don't read the tags and labels on the boxes that say FRAGILE and NOTHING ON TOP or THIS END END UP but damn, so far two out of three damaged packages is Bull - sh--

I actually have had better luck with USPS but these boxes were just over in size on what the U.S. mail would deliver.

Enough to piss some one off for sure.

where do you live? I live in rhode island, so far ive never had ups hurt any packages but ive been lucky i suppose. Especially since my daughter and gf order everything under the sun from amazon and eflay lol..

The third guitar finally arrived , UPS delivery ( late)

Happy to say no damage on this one.

The seller did me me they had a UPS store pack it., and boy did they ever pack it.

Bubble wrap the guitar case with three layers of bubble wrap.filled all the empty void in the cardboard box with packing peanuts., and then on top of the guitar case laid 2 layers of flat cardboard.

The guitar is a 1978 Guild D35 that I bought Very cheap ( cost wise) and will post some pics of it later on.

UPS delivered my new Epiphone case which my wife has bought me for my Birthday. When I say delivered I actually mean chucked over a side gate. No big issue its a sturdy item... but he put it over the fence but left NO NOTE. Had my wife not looked out of a side window it would have stayed there for days laying on the ground where it had fallen over. And tge weather is RUBBISH here.

Regards

What I found out last night is now UPS will not send some one to my brothers house to inspect the damage, but now they want him to send in pics of the damaged case and they will go off of the pictures.

They have changed their mind at least three times with in a week on how they want to handle it.

But now they also told him that the UPS store I shipped it from will be responsible for the damage

That just absurd, as the damage could have happen any where during transit.

I feel bad for the UPS store as I know him fairly well and do not think the damaged happen while it was in his care.

I am sure they have insurance for this but that just does not seem right.

On another note, the Guild I had delivered had a spot on the back of the neck where the finish was rubbed off

I was aware of this and was not too concerned because I have been refinishing guitars for well over 45 years now.

But what really disappointed me was how thin the finish on the neck was.

I would be surprised if there is two top costs of clear on the neck it is that thin

The finish on the body of the guitar being thin is of course understandable, but being that thin on the back if the neck really surprised me.

I am a huge Gibson, Guild fan and have quite a few of each , but I have never seen a finish like the one on this Guild D35.

But it's repaired now, so what ya gonna do?

What I found out last night is now UPS will not send some one to my brothers house to inspect the damage, but now they want him to send in pics of the damaged case and they will go off of the pictures.

They have changed their mind at least three times with in a week on how they want to handle it.

But now they also told him that the UPS store I shipped it from will be responsible for the damage

That just absurd, as the damage could have happen any where during transit.

I feel bad for the UPS store as I know him fairly well and do not think the damaged happen while it was in his care.

I am sure they have insurance for this but that just does not seem right.

I think it's a double-edged sword. I think that while it's cool and sometimes more convenience that the "receiver" can file a claim, it may make more problems than it solves.

I think some of it comes from the fact that "doing business" has certain ethics that many don't understand or agree on, or have different ideas about. And it seems to be changing.

Case in point: I bought a pair of amps from a guy (long ago, when Fed-EX had just begum the policy of letting the recipient file a claim), in which one of the pair became damaged. After getting really poor service from Fed-Ex on handling the problem, I felt I had to turn it back to the seller, for 2 reasons: one, I paid HIM to ship it to me, and he hired whoever, and he paid them. I kinda have a had time holding someone responsible to me when I didn't hire them or pay them. Also, the seller insured each one for half the total cost, and like a pair of speakers, one without the other is useless. I can't fault Fed-Ex for that. Not to mention, he packed the things.

So, it's kinda between the shipper and the shipping company, ain't it?

Another point, what if you buy a guitar from me, pay me for shipping, you get it damaged and I say, "not my fault?". Maybe it ain't my fault, but you sure are going to be pissed I took your money without taking responsibility for making sure you got what you paid me for.

Personally, I wouldn't feel bad that the UPS store would end up taking the responsibility. They take your money, and they ship it. It's their JOB to do so. It's likely their pleasure to ultimately take care of issues on your behalf, and to take responsibility. As for THEM being held responsible by UPS and visa-versa, that's a different story that is between them, and hopefully, shouldn't be your problem.

I don't know how the UPS store deal works but my first thought - it is probably a franchise situation where you have to buy into the corporate giant for your whatever-size piece of the pie. If that is the way it works it's just another case of big business taking advantage of the little guy. There may also be a lot of accounting wizardry where it evens out in the end. I know the stores bring UPS a great deal of business. They probably get all their supplies from the "company store" which is mentioned in at least one classic old tune.

I dunno. I just know that if it comes to me through UPS there will be extra insurance.

Two weeks ago Sweetwater messed up my order and shipping bad..to make a long story short they shipped UPS to my work (first time UPS always FedEx)....

I was on pins and needles waiting for delivery and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of shipping box...

Everything was great....no issues at all.......

Archived