Gibson Brands Forums

Batwing for J-45/50 of appropriate era does not fit J-15?

Jesse_Dylan

Got a smoking deal on a J-15 (new old stock). I had a Batwing pickguard sent to them, and they were going to put it on for me while they did some other stuff. However, they wrote me saying it does not quite fit and sent some photos.

Anyone know why it wouldn't fit? I figured exact same body size, it should fit, right? Or does the J-15 had a different soundhole radius than a J-45/50 from the era of the batwing?

They also said it leaves tanlines, but I'm not too worried about that. Should fade in less than a year I'd imagine as the whole top darkens.

2015-08-31%2011.11.34.jpg

2015-08-31%2011.11.21.jpg

2015-08-31%2011.11.06.jpg

2015-08-31%2011.10.51.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does not fit because the arc of the rosette/soundhole differs from the arc of the pickguard. Only solution is to have one cut to same arc as the original. Or move it to match the arc. This I think may leave a gap between neck and pickguard. If it were me I don't think I would replace that perfect teardrop.

It's easy enough to enlarge the arc on the new pickguard to fit anywhere you like. You may also have to modify the area that sits up against the neck, but.......

Your biggest and main problem is the tan lines that will be left at the bottom area (and the associated glue residue).

IF.... the area under the original guard is already a shade lighter than the exposed top, it will ALWAYS be a shade lighter, it will not catch up. The top will continue to darken evenly, and the differential between various shades will remain the same.

It looks to me like the radius of your new pickguard is too large. If it was too small you could easily increase it by cutting a little more away, but you can't make it smaller.

I don't know, but I would guess that the sound hole diameter is probably no different in size between the 2 guitars. There's nothing to say that the J-15 rosette is located the same distance away as the original J-45. It's probably a closer to the sound hole so it has a smaller radius.

It does not fit because the arc of the rosette/soundhole differs from the arc of the pickguard. Only solution is to have one cut to same arc as the original. Or move it to match the arc. This I think may leave a gap between neck and pickguard. If it were me I don't think I would replace that perfect teardrop.

Me either!

steve

I'm pretty bummed about this! I don't understand why a pickguard made for a J-45 would not fit correctly on a J-15. I suppose it is just that the rosette is a different distance from the soundhole than on a J-45, as was said. I didn't consider that.

I don't trust myself to alter the pickguard, so I guess that is that. I think they'll probably take a return and can probably make me a custom, so no big deal.

As far as the tan lines, I am not too worried. It's a fairly new guitar, so it shouldn't be too dark yet. If all else fails, I can make some kind of paper to cover the whole guitar except the part that needs to darken, and then carefully expose it to direct sunlight. Or maybe indirect outdoor sunlight... Until it is all roughly the same color.

Or, maybe I will end up saying the heck with it and keeping the stock pickguard. The stock pickguard looks like a million bucks. I just desperately want a Batwing. :)

You due it's not a j50 you're wanting?

You talked yourself into a j15 because it's affordable?

Nope, I'm not really interested in a J-50. I'd probably have gotten a J-45 rather than a J-50, but I think I'll like a J-15 as much or more, and I'm pretty psyched about the walnut. Haven't actually played it yet (!), so we'll see, but I think I'd find a J-45 or J-50 too similar to my Hummingbird, and I think a J-15 will be just similar enough and just different enough. Would have been nice to play my Bird alongside both a J-15 and a J-45 to be sure, but I think I'll be just as happy or happier. And there was quite a price difference, true.

I guess because I paid $1000 for the guitar instead of 2 or 3 or 4 times that, I just feel free to fiddle with it. I don't know if it reminds me of my dad's 1970s Gibson or what. Batwing pickguard and chrome "keystone" buttons to stick on the Mini Grover Rotomatics...!

I swear this was not on sweetwater's site a few weeks ago? But it has your name on It.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS50ANNH

Very nice, but whoo diggy look at that price. Almost 3x what I'm paying for a J-15--I could get an SJ-100 Walnut for that. :) I think I'd probably go with a J-45 over a J-50, truth be told; I am a sucker for sunburst. I'm thinking I should be covered for mahogany with the Hummingbird, though, and I'm thinking I should be covered for J-45 with the J-15.

In the next-to-last photo above it looks to me as if it would be very close to working if the edge resting against the fretboard was shortened.........looks like that would slide it right in there where it need to be...........no?

Looking very closely... maybe... Still seems like the radius would be wrong. I swear I'd mess it up anyway if I tried to modify it.

Guitar is on the way, presumably with failed Batwing in the case. :) The guy who sold me the Batwing replied fast initially, but now he is ignoring me, perhaps out of abject shock at my stupidity.

Wow, they brought back the J-50! [thumbup] That's just like my 2008. But $2800 (list $3500)? That seems really expensive.

But this is strange, if you do a google search for J-50 Modern Classic, this is what it says

Gibson Acoustic J-50 Modern Classic - Antique Natural ...

www.sweetwater.com/.../RS50ANNH?...

Sweetwater Sound, Inc.

Sorry, the Gibson Acoustic J-50 Modern Classic - Antique Natural is no longer available. We've left this page up for reference only.

But you can add it to your cart, so it really seems to be there. Not listed anywhere on Gibson's site though, and I don't see it at other stores.

Got the J-15 and pickguard in-hand (J-15 is fantastic, by the way). I have some new photos, but maybe they don't provide any new information.

2015-09-04%2017.13.29.jpg

2015-09-04%2017.13.14.jpg

2015-09-04%2017.13.44.jpg

2015-09-04%2017.14.07.jpg

I think it could be altered to fit. However, if I move it so that it covers the tan line best and fits the rosette, and then sand it down a little so it fits the rosette perfectly, then there is a gap where it meets the fretboard. If I move it so there is no gap at the fretboard, then it is all awry at the soundhole (gap between pickguard and rosette), and either method would need altering of the pickguard with sandpaper, which I might mess up. (I should have just asked E.M. Shorts if they could alter the pickguard for me to make it fit as best as possible.)

So I think the best plan is probably to send the pickguard back with some kind of tracing of the top, and hopefully they can make a custom. I don't think they're very thrilled with me, but I just figured if it's meant to fit a J-45, surely it will fit a J-15...

The stock pickguard is gorgeous. It's just not as cool as a Batwing.

JD - the 2nd and 4th picture look good to me. You are not building a church here... its just a guitar. Oh lord I can't believe I just said "just a guitar". [biggrin]

Yeah, maybe you're right actually...

I guess the only downside of that placement is there will be a wood gap between pickguard and rosette, and it will be very white. And there will be a white spot sort of above the bridge end.

I will re-examine. Maybe I don't care about the gap or white spots now that I think about it. (I do think the white spots will even out eventually... If not, I can try to find some way to cover the guitar and leave the white spots exposed and tan it a little.)

2015-09-04%2020.06.49.jpg

2015-09-04%2020.08.28.jpg

I'm not sure... I think maybe it looks worse in person than in photos. I had the stock guard almost all the way off, then I thought, naw, better check one last time... I'm not sure. I think it would bug me.

I'm trying to picture what a J-45/50 rosette would look like, and I don't know. It seems like the pickguard is just cut wrong. I can't picture it matching up perfectly with anything.

I guess you'd better trust the "Force" on this one. If there is any doubt, I guaranty it will bug you. Changing guards on and off and on and off is not something I would do. I once bought a pretty expensive Martin - The CSN logo on it and everything, Engelman top, 1 3/4 width, it was ideal and sounded great. But I noticed when I bought it that it had some sort of purple pixalted PG on it, told myself that did not matter. Everytime I picked up that guitar, I thought about the pick guard, and it led to me picking that guitar up less and less, and finally, out the door it went.

The secret to happiness, is being content with what you have...

Smile Fierce !!!

Yeah, I had one of those pixelated pickguards on my 00-18V. :) Didn't bother me a whole lot unless I got up close. I always meant to change the pickguard on that one, but I never did.

I think I am going to take the plunge, remove the stock pickguard, and see how the Batwing looks where there's no pickguard in the way. Maybe I'm just being picky.

The maker wrote me back and thinks a custom would not be any better fit than this one. I swear, I'm not normally very picky...

Sure am loving the guitar!

The walnut on this one is not spectacular, I will freely admit, which is probably why I was able to get it new old stock for $1000. I could have paid $1500 for one with fancy-looking walnut, or I could have waited longer for EM Shorts to get a 2016 that had fancy walnut and paid more like $1300, but I figured heck. This one is like the "runt" of the litter, and I can tell you, it's sure not anything to do with the tone or playability. Has both in spades! I think it just has less fascinating walnut grain and some fit/finish issues. All cosmetic. Not that it's bad-looking by any means...

Figured I'd wait and take photos once I had the pickguard situation figured out. :) Maybe I will give up and keep the stock, though. Hopefully will sort it out before the end of the weekend.

Nope, I'm not really interested in a J-50. I'd probably have gotten a J-45 rather than a J-50, but I think I'll like a J-15 as much or more, and I'm pretty psyched about the walnut. Haven't actually played it yet (!), so we'll see, but I think I'd find a J-45 or J-50 too similar to my Hummingbird, and I think a J-15 will be just similar enough and just different enough. Would have been nice to play my Bird alongside both a J-15 and a J-45 to be sure, but I think I'll be just as happy or happier. And there was quite a price difference, true.

I guess because I paid $1000 for the guitar instead of 2 or 3 or 4 times that, I just feel free to fiddle with it. I don't know if it reminds me of my dad's 1970s Gibson or what. Batwing pickguard and chrome "keystone" buttons to stick on the Mini Grover Rotomatics...!

Good question here.. whats the difference with J50 and a J45?

Btw.. the large guard would be covering a nice Rosette..

Archived