Gibson Brands Forums

Warranty?

nid2007

I'm wondering how many of us ever use the Gibson Warranty. I don't think I've bought a "new" Gibson since 2005, and have been perfectly content catching and releasing used guitars ever since. I have an opportunity to by nice sounding J-29 new old stock from my local GC. They are selling it for 1600, and I know sooner or later a used one will pop up for less--Ive see them for about 1300. Is having the warranty worth a couple of hundred bucks?

Opinions?

Thanks!

totally agree.[

quote name=Boyd' timestamp='1441133240' post='1690034]

Well Guitar Center gives you one month to return/exchange a new guitar or 3 days with a used guitar. That is definitely worth something when compared to purchasing from an individual. :)

I had a 2013 Les Paul that I bought from Sweetwater in May of 2013....In February of 2014 the guitar body started developing milky colored spots..I sent a letter to Sweetwater with pics...they told me to send it back immediately while its still under warranty.

A few weeks later I received a brand new replacement from Gibson...

3 weeks ago I bought a new Midtown Standard from Sam Ash...The guitar was good right out of the box....after recording with it I wasn't getting the sound I was hoping for listening to the play back...I took it back to Sam Ash and told them that...my money was refunded with out question...new guitars have their benefits....

Please tell me truthfully, "How how many times may a guitar be sold as new, and how many hands do they go through before they are considered used"? The folks that use a guitar for the "return" period or think they've gotten a scqueaky new one, I kinda wonder just, or if'n they may wonder just maybe if'n those strings may have been possibly been played before, where might the fingers that played them have been. A true inquisitive question. I know I've been considered a troll. Can the "users of policy" truly answer this question. Should this question offend you, it's meant to!

Well, really… why does that matter? My only point was that if you purchase from Guitar Center

1) You can play the guitar in the store and decide whether you like it before purchasing

2) If you do purchase it and are not happy (for any reason) you can return it within 30 days (3 days for Vintage) and get your money back

Typically, you can't do either of these things if you purchase a used guitar from an individual seller on the internet. So, at least for me, that justifies a higher price.

Please tell me truthfully, "How how many times may a guitar be sold as new, and how many hands do they go through before they are considered used"? The folks that use a guitar for the "return" period or think they've gotten a scqueaky new one, I kinda wonder just, or if'n they may wonder just maybe if'n those strings may have been possibly been played before, where might the fingers that played them have been. A true inquisitive question. I know I've been considered a troll. Can the "users of policy" truly answer this question. Should this question offend you, it's meant to!

My take is that if you buy from a store it might have been played a few times...online dealer (Sweetwater) played much less...

The chain store that I go to has all their guitars on the wall...

As far as the returns this same chain store will sell as new even though someone took it home for 3 weeks before returning...

the next buyer has to accept as new at time of purchase or make a deal if they don't like something...

Thanks for the opinions. Ended up being a non-issue as I opted for a different guitar entirely. A 2001 Koa Songbird was being sold by a GC in North Carolina and is now on its way to me. Same guitar as the one pictured here: http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-Songbird-Deluxe-Custom-Shop-Acoustic-Guitar--2001/4104

This brings me kind of full circle back to my first Gibson--a custom SWD purchased through Stan Jay. It has been a long time and many Gibsons caught and released between then and now. I'm looking forward to this guitar al lot as it will be the "Ren" guitar in my collection. One of my best memories from a Gibson Homecoming many years ago was splitting a six-pack with Ren and listening to the history of the Songwriter and its development. I have not looked forward to an incoming guitar this much in a long time!

Thanks for the opinions. Ended up being a non-issue as I opted for a different guitar entirely. A 2001 Koa Songbird was being sold by a GC in North Carolina and is now on its way to me. Same guitar as the one pictured here: http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-Songbird-Deluxe-Custom-Shop-Acoustic-Guitar--2001/4104

This brings me kind of full circle back to my first Gibson--a custom SWD purchased through Stan Jay. It has been a long time and many Gibsons caught and released between then and now. I'm looking forward to this guitar al lot as it will be the "Ren" guitar in my collection. One of my best memories from a Gibson Homecoming many years ago was splitting a six-pack with Ren and listening to the history of the Songwriter and its development. I have not looked forward to an incoming guitar this much in a long time!

That will be special. Perfect !

Archived