Gibson Brands Forums

a surprise for 2016 models

iluvcrap2000

Well what do I get in the email today? a Ad for the New Gibson 2016 models, Gone are the Robo-Tuners, the Zero fret nut and the stupid Holo-logo. Seems like they listened to all the bad comments and lack of sales to give what the customer wants. I thought the SR models were a response for that. But I guess they want to start fresh again. and What is "fireball"? Looks like bourbon Burst to me(Actually looks the same as Desert Burst), meh.

Looks like I'm on for one if the reviews are good.

Oh and no pickguard? Hopefully it comes with the removable one.

Well what do I get in the email today? a Ad for the New Gibson 2016 models, Gone are the Robo-Tuners, the Zero fret nut and the stupid Holo-logo. Seems like they listened to all the band comments and lack of sales to give what the customer wants. I thought the SR models were a response for that. But I guess they want to start fresh again. and What is "fireball"? Looks like bourbon Burst to me(Actually looks the same as Desert Burst), meh.

I think it's only natural that the Hologram and the autograph-logo will be gone, since they were specifically there for the 100 year anniversary of Les Paul.

As for the G-Force, Zero fret nut and the wider neck, perhaps they will have a "modern" series where they will keep the innovations? This way, both the the crowd that refuses any bold changes and the ones willing to go for something new will be happy. It's a win-win situation! :D

From memory the 'traditional' Les Paul went out of favour and the SG never did particularly well. It was only a later generation who turned these into classics. In years to come the 2015 will be re-assessed as innovative cool guitars....

Well what do I get in the email today? a Ad for the New Gibson 2016 models, Gone are the Robo-Tuners, the Zero fret nut and the stupid Holo-logo. Seems like they listened to all the bad comments and lack of sales to give what the customer wants. I thought the SR models were a response for that. But I guess they want to start fresh again. and What is "fireball"? Looks like bourbon Burst to me(Actually looks the same as Desert Burst), meh.

OP judging from your user name alone i figured you'd'of loved the 2015 models.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a couple 2016s in person and they seem nice. Glad to see Gibson getting back on track a bit.

For the 2015 models, I thought the wider neck and robotic tuners should have been options rather than forced. I'm neutral on the brass nut, I like the idea of another point to adjust the action but some of the comments on the how quickly they wear out have me concerned. Hopefully they can just switch to a more durable material.

I thought the removable pick guard was a great idea though.

I think a later generation is going to be removing the G-Force tuners as replacement batteries and parts won't be available.

I do like the idea of the adjustable nut, though. Perhaps they'll be able to implement something a bit more successful in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

You mean there was something on the 2015 that you liked?

Cheers,

Dr Golf

I have seen a couple 2016s in person and they seem nice. Glad to see Gibson getting back on track a bit.

For the 2015 models, I thought the wider neck and robotic tuners should have been options rather than forced. I'm neutral on the brass nut, I like the idea of another point to adjust the action but some of the comments on the how quickly they wear out have me concerned. Hopefully they can just switch to a more durable material.

I thought the removable pick guard was a great idea though.

The nut was supposed to be "cryogenically" treated so it would withstand a nuclear attack! Now people are saying they wear grooves and spoil the tuning!! The Les Paul signature and hologram effect the tone of the guitar so much that I might scrape mine off. He would only have been 100 once so it is not likely they will put them on again. No need to worry there then. Pleased that people like the detachable pick guard. Mine doesn't stay in tune for more than ten minutes - now that is a problem!

Dr Golf

From memory the 'traditional' Les Paul went out of favour and the SG never did particularly well. It was only a later generation who turned these into classics. In years to come the 2015 will be re-assessed as innovative cool guitars....

I think you are right. In 50 years people will be clamouring after them. Sadly, I will be 118 and too frail to use ebay. Even George Gruhn's shop will be reviewing them as classics although, sadly, not George himself. I am going to leave mine to my grandson, who is 15 months old at the moment, and I'm going to put a note on it telling him to hang on until the price recovers. I hope I will have solved the tuning problems by then. Thank goodness I didn't trade in my 2001 Les Paul Standard - I would have been in negative equity. Where did I put the straight jacket?

Go and have a look at the video on you tube where Lee Anderton of Anderton's and the 6'4" man from Guitarist interview the head "luthier" from Gibson USA. Then you will know why I bought into all the innovations! Whoosh! 2016 and they are all gone. There's no fool like and old fool.

I love the wide neck and the low frets and the balance (it sits so well on the lap) and the split coil controls and the Tobacco Sunburst Candy is beautiful. But it still doesn't stay in tune. Have I mentioned that before?

Cheers strummers!

I think you are right. In 50 years people will be clamouring after them. Sadly, I will be 118 and too frail to use ebay. Even George Gruhn's shop will be reviewing them as classics although, sadly, not George himself. I am going to leave mine to my grandson, who is 15 months old at the moment, and I'm going to put a note on it telling him to hang on until the price recovers. I hope I will have solved the tuning problems by then. Thank goodness I didn't trade in my 2001 Les Paul Standard - I would have been in negative equity. Where did I put the straight jacket?

Go and have a look at the video on you tube where Lee Anderton of Anderton's and the 6'4" man from Guitarist interview the head "luthier" from Gibson USA. Then you will know why I bought into all the innovations! Whoosh! 2016 and they are all gone. There's no fool like and old fool.

I love the wide neck and the low frets and the balance (it sits so well on the lap) and the split coil controls and the Tobacco Sunburst Candy is beautiful. But it still doesn't stay in tune. Have I mentioned that before?

Cheers strummers!

Ummm... yeah... no. [flapper]

Nice try though... =D>

Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome: [flapper]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

(J/K...if you like it that's all that matters)

Archived