Gibson Brands Forums

This is good news

vacamartin

It seems the higher-ups at Gibson USA have finally heard the outcry of the guitar playing public over the 2015 model line-up. According to information recently made available, the classic American builder detailed a general lowering of prices for the 2016 models as well as an abandonment of 2015 design changes including the controversial G-Force automatic tuning systems.

The price points on the 2016 models will be roughly 20-25% lower than 2015, and comparable to the 2014 catalog.

https://reverb.com/blog/breaking-gibson-to-revert-prices-and-specs-on-2016-models

How 'bout that!

Well, it does sound like the company will be treading far more lightly in terms of pushing customers into the future. After such a fiasco with electric customers, I can't imagine the company trying the same thing with acoustic players, who are even more traditionally-minded than electric players. There might be a model or two made to test the waters and for those folks who like new technology. But it would be pure insanity to pull the same move on the acoustic market that's been deemed a failure in the electric market.

Wouldn't mind seeing prices drop 25% though!!

I think the Min-Etune one must be from last year. It's called G-Force or whatever now (like on the Progressive).

I wouldn't mind a G-Force on a J-100 or something, where I've got a long scale and potentially medium strings to hold down alternate tunings. I'm not sure a J-45 would be my first choice for alternate tunings, though, and if I'm just going to be in standard, I don't see much point...

I can see the Progressive being really good for "modern" fingerstyle folks who like to slap the guitar/strings (it has a Lyric microphone instead of a pickup) and use a lot of alternate tunings, but I still wonder about the short scale. Guess a J-45 can wear medium strings as easily as a J-200, maybe more easily, but a J-45's top sure doesn't need them.

This only seems to apply to the electric guitar line, not the acoustic line. Looks like all the acoustics have had price increases.

Yes this is probably so...but someone has to pay for this, ie those who buy acoustics

Archived