Gibson Brands Forums

Question about 2015 model modifications

awel

I have bought a month ago a 2015 Les Paul Special.

I like the sound but the zero fret is not my cup of tea and I don't need the Gforce, so about the Gforce I already know that it is quite easy to switch back to 'normal' Kluson type, but first question, does that need any additional work, holes to drill or something?

Now my main point, about the Zero fret, I have noticed that strings are already marked on the zero fret, do you know if it is possible to go back to some 'normal' bone nut?

I was thinking to sell it but the wood and finished are so nice that I wonder if it will not deserve these updates?

Guest Farnsbarns

All simple. You may need a morse taper reamer, or similar, to enlarge the tuning peg holes. These could be drilled of course.

If you want to sell the tuning thing for a sensible price (reflecting the fact that very few people seem to want one) drop me a line. I don't think shipping would be too much across the channel.

you might be wise to keep it stock Al - original 2015's may well turn out to be rarities in a few years.

...kind of like the Delorean.

...but with a hologram.

More seriously, I am really afraid about the zero fret till now no issue caused by the prematured wear out but in one month I am afraid it will be something like a nut after the nut and I don't know the impact this will have on the sound [scared]

it is strange because the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen has a brass nut as well I've never read read about any wear out issue with it.

I wouldn't worry about the nut until there is an issue. Mine is still fine.

How to replace the robotuners with manual tuners.

Honestly Searcy, the robot tuners is not an issue for me, I likes a lot my 2015 but just thinking about a way to keep my guitar because if Gibson gets back to 'standard' tuning machines and nut, what will happened when Gibson discontinues the zero fret and gforce, will it still be possible to find replacement battery, replacement zero fret nut?

These are fears

More seriously, I am really afraid about the zero fret till now no issue caused by the prematured wear out but in one month I am afraid it will be something like a nut after the nut and I don't know the impact this will have on the sound [scared]

it is strange because the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen has a brass nut as well I've never read read about any wear out issue with it.

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. My Zero Fret Nut did the same thing within a month. The strings cut grooves into the nut. I e-mailed Gibson and they sent me some replacemant Prototype nuts. They are easy to change. Loosen the strings and it pulls right out and then you slip the new one in. Adjust the tiny screws to whatever you want your action set at and that's it. It only took about 3 days from my e-mail being recieved and the replacemat nuts ariving at my door..

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. My Zero Fret Nut did the same thing within a month. The strings cut grooves into the nut. I e-mailed Gibson and they sent me some replacemant Prototype nuts. They are easy to change. Loosen the strings and it pulls right out and then you slip the new one in. Adjust the tiny screws to whatever you want your action set at and that's it. It only took about 3 days from my e-mail being recieved and the replacemat nuts ariving at my door..

Does it solve the issue so far?

Does it solve the issue so far?

So far it's fixed the problem. when they sent them to me they were the same brass color. Then I had an issue with a tunning key and when they sent me the tunning key thay sent me another nut that was nickel plated and I put the nickel plated one on my guitar. So far there and no grooves cut into it and no metal shavings on my fret board. Searcy (another 2015 owner and on this forum) also replaced his.

So far it's fixed the problem. when they sent them to me they were the same brass color. Then I had an issue with a tunning key and when they sent me the tunning key thay sent me another nut that was nickel plated and I put the nickel plated one on my guitar. So far there and no grooves cut into it and no metal shavings on my fret board. Searcy (another 2015 owner and on this forum) also replaced his.

Ok thanks so perhaps I should ask for the nickel plated directly?

Ok thanks so perhaps I should ask for the nickel plated directly?

I just decided to use the nickel plated nut. I never tried the replacement brass proto-type nut. although I did try to slip a brass nut in at one time while changing strings and it didn't go in very well it was really tight. The nickel plated nut went in very easy. I think Searcy used the replacement brass nut so i would ask him how his is holding up. But from my experiance the nickel plated nut would be the one to go with..

Archived