Gibson Brands Forums

Less than stellar experience at Gibson 5 Star dealer

sbpark

I've been lusting over the J35 for quite a while now, and figured since I've been working my butt off I decided to treat myself and pull the trigger. I'm currently in northern California on assignment for work and noted there were two Gibson 5 star dealers each within an hour of where I am staying, but both in opposite directions. I decided on one shop based on reviews that were mixed, but mostly positive. I gave them a call first before making the hour long drive. The salesperson I spoke to said he had 3 J35's in stock and although he wouldn't quote me a price on the phone, and the fact that I don't really like haggling over the phone, he assured me they would take care of me and make it worth my while if I made the drive. Great! So I hooped in the car and made the trek!

I got there and they only have two, not three J35's. The salesperson I spoke to on the phone told me, "Oh, I guess we sold one of them last week." STRIKE ONE Both guitars had strings that were well past their prime. Despite that I really liked one of them, even though the nut slots needed some attention since the guitar noticeable pulled sharp in the first position. Despite this I was really to pull the trigger. Spoke to the salesperson who initially on the phone did tell me he'd at the very least match any advertised internet price. One rather large supplier that we all know of had new J35's advertised for $1549. Salesperson tells me he can't honor that because it's below what Gibson allows dealers to advertise at, since the guitar retails for $1699. I told him that wasn't what he told me on the phone. STRIKE TWO. HE said the best he could do was $1600 plus tax. I actually really liked this particular J35 and said OK, I'll do it for $1600, but they would have to address the poorly cut nut and set it up as part of the sale, and that It would have to be done today because I didn't want to drive another hour each way to pick the guitar up another day. Salesperson said no dice, and he wouldn't make his tech set it up today because his day was already full. Normally I'd be ok with that, but told him that if he wanted me to pay more than what pretty much any other shop would cost, he'd have to set it up today while I waited. If I was going to pay close to full retail, he'd have to make it worth my while, and in all honesty a good tech could easily adjust the nut slots, action and relief in a half hour. Sales person said no. STRIKE THREE. So I told him I was willing to wait a couple days, but he would have to give me a better deal than $99 off. He said that was the best he could do, so I respectfully said thanks but no thanks, and packed up my J45 I brought with me, and left.

All in all not a very stellar customer service experience, given the salesperson went against what he said on the phone, agreeing to match any advertised price, the guitars had dead strings on them, and then not agreeing to do a very simple and basic setup while I waited. Maybe I'm asking too much, but in all honesty I would expect something like this from the big box chain we all love to hate on, but I've actually received better customer service from said big box chain. Wont be going back to that shop.

a lot of shops won't haggle theses days. not with money at least, I had a similar experience at a Guitar Center up in New England, I was buying Two Guitars and Two amps, they would not budge on the price. they were not even new. finally i told the guy to forget it and started walking out so he said he would through in two packs of strings and two straps (yeah strings and cheap straps, i could not believe it, those cheap SOB's). So i said ok, since they were already a pretty good price and they were for my two son's. The thing is, when i walk in with cash, a lot of freaking cash, if these minimum wage sales guys want it, they need to start treating me, well all of us who buy high-end guitars, like we are the only person on the freaking planet . They also need to honor their "We will beat any price" which they all say, but always have a reason why they can't. I buy a lot through zzounds, just because I live so far in the mountains, the nearest Gibson dealer is is 140 miles away. they have been pretty decent as far as price, but on one occasion, they would not beat a price on a Hofner 500/1 German made bass, about a week after i bought it from them. sort of pissed me off, but it was only $100 difference.

I've been lusting over the J35 for quite a while now, and figured since I've been working my butt off I decided to treat myself and pull the trigger. I'm currently in northern California on assignment for work and noted there were two Gibson 5 star dealers each within an hour of where I am staying, but both in opposite directions. I decided on one shop based on reviews that were mixed, but mostly positive. I gave them a call first before making the hour long drive. The salesperson I spoke to said he had 3 J35's in stock and although he wouldn't quote me a price on the phone, and the fact that I don't really like haggling over the phone, he assured me they would take care of me and make it worth my while if I made the drive. Great! So I hooped in the car and made the trek!

I got there and they only have two, not three J35's. The salesperson I spoke to on the phone told me, "Oh, I guess we sold one of them last week." STRIKE ONE Both guitars had strings that were well past their prime. Despite that I really liked one of them, even though the nut slots needed some attention since the guitar noticeable pulled sharp in the first position. Despite this I was really to pull the trigger. Spoke to the salesperson who initially on the phone did tell me he'd at the very least match any advertised internet price. One rather large supplier that we all know of had new J35's advertised for $1549. Salesperson tells me he can't honor that because it's below what Gibson allows dealers to advertise at, since the guitar retails for $1699. I told him that wasn't what he told me on the phone. STRIKE TWO. HE said the best he could do was $1600 plus tax. I actually really liked this particular J35 and said OK, I'll do it for $1600, but they would have to address the poorly cut nut and set it up as part of the sale, and that It would have to be done today because I didn't want to drive another hour each way to pick the guitar up another day. Salesperson said no dice, and he wouldn't make his tech set it up today because his day was already full. Normally I'd be ok with that, but told him that if he wanted me to pay more than what pretty much any other shop would cost, he'd have to set it up today while I waited. If I was going to pay close to full retail, he'd have to make it worth my while, and in all honesty a good tech could easily adjust the nut slots, action and relief in a half hour. Sales person said no. STRIKE THREE. So I told him I was willing to wait a couple days, but he would have to give me a better deal than $99 off. He said that was the best he could do, so I respectfully said thanks but no thanks, and packed up my J45 I brought with me, and left.

All in all not a very stellar customer service experience, given the salesperson wet against what he said on the phone, agreeing to match any advertised price, the guitars had dead strings on them, and then not agreeing to do a very simple and basic setup while I waited. Maybe I'm asking too much, but in all honesty I would expect something like this from the big box chain we all love to hate on, but I've actually received better customer service from said big box chain. Wont be going back to that shop.

I've been through the same thing more times than I care to remember. About a month ago, my son came up with some simple advice. He said, "dad you have to remember these guys want to sell you guitars and gear just as much as you want to buy them". After I thought about this for a while, it started to really sink in and it gave me a whole new confidence level the next time I went to a shop to buy something. I didn't feel like I was at their mercy.

There's ALWAYS another guitar.

I've had some bad experiences with salesmen who were like that. I don't let a little extra money or someone I don't like come between me and something I want, but generally, almost always, if I don't like the guy, he not only doesn't get that extra little bit, he gets nothing.

There's something about knowing that my hard earned cash is going to someone I like, or maybe even believe in. I would rather overpay to someone I think deserves some of it than get a deal and have someone I don't think deserves it get any.

Everyone has their own style. I respect your determination to get a low price.

I expect to pay retail and do. This gives full commission to my salesman, that's how he pays his bills and dates his girlfriend. Plus it reflects on his sales charts, when management looks down the list and sees that he sold a 3699 guitar he gets credit for being someone who can toe the line.

I went back for another 1399 guitar, same guy, wanted no discounts. I wanted him to have the full credit, and any income from the sale. A month later I received my discount by way of a gift card at 5 or 10% of my purchase. Bought new mics.

Its my local store, which is phenominal. I want to support them, and their staff, in any way possible. I want to make sure that corporate looks at the spreadsheets and sees my store is safe, turning a profit. Send MORE beautiful guitar to this location, they'll sell.

This whole brick and mortar concept is definitely threatened. I can count out dozens of distributors that have gone out of business in the last 10 years... and I try to do my part. Its only money, I am on the downhill slope, I can't take it with me... etc.

I expect to pay retail and do. This gives full commission to my salesman, that's how he pays his bills and dates his girlfriend. Plus it reflects on his sales charts, when management looks down the list and sees that he sold a 3699 guitar he gets credit for being someone who can toe the line.

I went back for another 1399 guitar, same guy, wanted no discounts. I wanted him to have the full credit, and any income from the sale. A month later I received my discount by way of a gift card at 5 or 10% of my purchase. Bought new mics.

Its my local store, which is phenominal. I want to support them, and their staff, in any way possible. I want to make sure that corporate looks at the spreadsheets and sees my store is safe, turning a profit. Send MORE beautiful guitar to this location, they'll sell.

This whole brick and mortar concept is definitely threatened. I can count out dozens of distributors that have gone out of business in the last 10 years... and I try to do my part. Its only money, I am on the downhill slope, I can't take it with me... etc.

I agree

hybrid version here.

I'll buy on-line to get the best price if I don't mind the wait or the discrepancy is large enough, but if I want convenience and quick purchase then I'm happy to pay full price at the local store and would never ask for a discount as I'm sure they are doing well just to keep afloat as it is and keep a handful of people employed on the floor and several others giving lessons upstairs.

Well, I was willing to pay full retail, or VERY close to it if he could go the (rather small) extra mile and have the shop guy take 20-30 minutes to address the nut slots while I went and had lunch. I really don't think that was too much to ask, but he flat out refused. Basically gave off the impression, whether he meant it or not, that he really didn't care about this particular transaction, or making/keeping a future customer who would come back down the line. As a result I didn't purchase the guitar, and would never go back. Sucks for them, no real loss for me.

I get the whole mom and pop thing, which is why I went to this shop int he first place, but I'm not going to give my hard-earned cash to someone who simply rests of the laurels of being a mom and pop shop. It's competitive out there, and I really have no problem paying full retail, but they have to do something to differentiate themselves from the next shop to make the customer feel valued/appreciated. I guess that's just me, but as a buyer I can go anywhere. Why go to a shop that really could care less, or at least gives off the impression of caring less? Customer service is a big thing with me, and I am very inclined to pay full retail if I am treated well during the buying experience. There si something to be said for, and a premium to be paid that comes with excellent customer service.

I bought my J45 from Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado. I'm sure many of you have heard about this shop and seen their videos. I was hesitant to even step foot in that place, thinking if I wasn't famous, or didn't show up with a briefcase full of cash, I'd be ignored and treated like garbage. Couldn't have been farther from the truth. The most amazing guitar buying experience I've ever had, best customer service, hands down. I also got a nice deal, but after the way I was treated by the staff there, i was expecting to, and 100% fine with paying full retail because of the whole experience. If the guy at the shop I went to yesterday would have even shown any kind of interest that he cared, or worked with me to come up with something that worked for both of us, I would have been more inclined to meet him halfway.

Stories like this, make me even more appreciative of my Gibson dealer,

as in one case, a couple of years ago, they mistakenly quoted their

selling price, as about 125.00 dollars less (in my favor) than they

should/would have normally. It was just a comedy of errors, in house,

but they had quoted me that, over the phone, and absolutely honored it,

without me even having to question it. And, that came from the owner

himself.

So, having a great, and long term relationship, with one's dealer is

much preferred, IMHO.

CB

It's a guitar, not My Little Pony. Buck up ferkrissakes, he's in it to make money not boost your self esteem. Go into the store, know what you are there for, make it clear, I'll buy it, you fix the nut. No? k, have a good one, and off you go to the place that will. Does anyone really think that buying guitars was ever some picnic everyone went off on and just had a hoot? It's the same as buying a lawnmower or a cart of groceries, they are all there for the same thing.

Strengthen yourself, know what you want or need, go and try to get it and if they don't give you the deal you think then go somewhere else!

rct

It's a guitar, not My Little Pony. Buck up ferkrissakes, he's in it to make money not boost your self esteem. Go into the store, know what you are there for, make it clear, I'll buy it, you fix the nut. No? k, have a good one, and off you go to the place that will. Does anyone really think that buying guitars was ever some picnic everyone went off on and just had a hoot? It's the same as buying a lawnmower or a cart of groceries, they are all there for the same thing.

Strengthen yourself, know what you want or need, go and try to get it and if they don't give you the deal you think then go somewhere else!

rct

Thats basically what happened. I packed up the guitar I had also brought with me, told him I'm sorry we couldn't come to an agreement, and walked out.

Thats basically what happened. I packed up the guitar I had also brought with me, told him I'm sorry we couldn't come to an agreement, and walked out.

Good! That's all anyone should do. They absolutely need every sale they can get, whether they powder my knutz or not. I don't care if the guy mfs me the whole time, if I get the price and the guitar he gets the business. If not, he don't.

rct

Sorry for your bad experience. We get pumped up about buying a guitar we really want- then the deal goes south and seemingly, the salesperson could give a rat's butt (no offense to the rats!). (They are great pets, BTW)

I think I understand the economy pretty well. And I KNOW brick and mortar places are going banannas trying to match and compete with the internet superpowers.

There was a time in our lives when cash-in-hand meant something. But with credit companies kicking back monetarily and otherwise to retailers, it really doesn't mean much anymore. (Recent experience buying a used car brought this to reality for me).

STILL- if you, as a B&M store want to compete and stay viable in this market, IMO you have to do something to earn it. The whole customer / salesman relationship, on both sides, is askew IMO.

I like buying used. I know if I'm buying anything other than a real vintage or otherwise specialized guitar, used, there is some wiggle room. I've been told by management at both my local G.C. and Sam Ash that AT THE ULTIMATE MOST they will pay only 50% of current value, then only if it is a piece they know they can move VERY quickly. Knowing that, plus understanding that there is significant overhead in running a B&M store, and having the fortitude to "walk" as you did in your situation, is to me, the key to a good and fair relationship between seller and buyer.

Decades ago I'd go in to buy a car and the salesperson would skate around; "Whew! Let me talk to my manager about that..." I'd come back "If you can't make the sale yourself, I'll come along with you and talk to him too!" Even the older sales guys with "feathers" blanched at that! Of course I had good credit, there are a plethora of auto dealers in my area, etc, etc.

Sincerely wishing you a better experience next stop and hoping you get that guitar you're longing for!

Brian

Well, I was willing to pay full retail, or VERY close to it if he could go the (rather small) extra mile and have the shop guy take 20-30 minutes to address the nut slots while I went and had lunch. I really don't think that was too much to ask, but he flat out refused. Basically gave off the impression, whether he meant it or not, that he really didn't care about this particular transaction, or making/keeping a future customer who would come back down the line. As a result I didn't purchase the guitar, and would never go back. Sucks for them, no real loss for me.

I get the whole mom and pop thing, which is why I went to this shop int he first place, but I'm not going to give my hard-earned cash to someone who simply rests of the laurels of being a mom and pop shop. It's competitive out there, and I really have no problem paying full retail, but they have to do something to differentiate themselves from the next shop to make the customer feel valued/appreciated. I guess that's just me, but as a buyer I can go anywhere. Why go to a shop that really could care less, or at least gives off the impression of caring less? Customer service is a big thing with me, and I am very inclined to pay full retail if I am treated well during the buying experience. There si something to be said for, and a premium to be paid that comes with excellent customer service.

I bought my J45 from Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado. I'm sure many of you have heard about this shop and seen their videos. I was hesitant to even step foot in that place, thinking if I wasn't famous, or didn't show up with a briefcase full of cash, I'd be ignored and treated like garbage. Couldn't have been farther from the truth. The most amazing guitar buying experience I've ever had, best customer service, hands down. I also got a nice deal, but after the way I was treated by the staff there, i was expecting to, and 100% fine with paying full retail because of the whole experience. If the guy at the shop I went to yesterday would have even shown any kind of interest that he cared, or worked with me to come up with something that worked for both of us, I would have been more inclined to meet him halfway.

Wildwood is certainly a destination. They're professionals. If I was going to purchase over the net, Wildwood was where I was headed. But I found what I wanted thru my local salesman. We talked about it two weeks in advance and I left without making a commitment but when I returned we set the deal in motion. Felt like I was making good on my word to him. It is nice to hear what an 'In Person' experience is like at Wildwood. Enjoy your guitar. Love to see pictures and sound clips anytime. Congrats.

Decades ago I'd go in to buy a car and the salesperson would skate around; "Whew! Let me talk to my manager about that..." I'd come back "If you can't make the sale yourself, I'll come along with you and talk to him too!" Even the older sales guys with "feathers" blanched at that!

Brian

I like that. I might use that at some point.

What store do you go to cause I want to get my cajones powdered when purchasing and axe.

There was a time when that's what made us WANT to play the guitar.

Come to think of it, I think the "affordable care act" should require Gibson to provide a free trip to the clinic for all it's purchasers.

There was a time when that's what made us WANT to play the guitar.

Come to think of it, I think the "affordable care act" should require Gibson to provide a free trip to the clinic for all it's purchasers.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Thanks for the "daily guffaw"!

Do you think you could get that with a squirt of "Big Bends Nut Sauce"?

Brian

Archived