Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl Crow SJ 'Supreme'

J-1854Me

So I've been keeping my eyes open for one of the Sheryl Crow SJ models, since they came out some time ago, and hearing a lot of good things about them. Our own Lars68 on this board has one, too, I believe.

I had not been actively looking recently until one popped up on a dealer's website, and after speaking to them, a deal was struck, and I picked it up just over a week ago. The 'Supreme' version of the Sheryl Crow SJ sports a red spruce top, the Amulet pickup system, the rectangular bridge, and a delightful tri-burst finish. It sounds very nice, good deep bass, lots of volume and and nice balanced sound.

Don Ruffatto at the factory explained that the guitar was 'plekked' on one of their new plek rigs, and it certainly does seem to play very nicely.

Obligatory pics:

P1120963_zps3ytjclep.jpg

P1120974_zpsgtio1ne6.jpg

Overall, a very nice 'modern' Southern Jumbo model. Now I need to get Sheryl to sign it!

Fred

Which Trance Audio Amulet system? The stereo or the mono? A few years ago I spec-ed out an SJ using just this recipe, along with the wider luthiers Choice neck. Was a wonderful guitar, but I sold it to fund the acquisition of the 2006 Legend. Wonderful guitar J-1854me.

Which Trance Audio Amulet system? The stereo or the mono? A few years ago I spec-ed out an SJ using just this recipe, along with the wider luthiers Choice neck. Was a wonderful guitar, but I sold it to fund the acquisition of the 2006 Legend. Wonderful guitar J-1854me.

It's called an Amulet 'M'. Y'know, Dan, I have not even plugged it in yet, so I have no idea what it sounds like plugged in. I just know it sounds real good unplugged.

Fred

It's called an Amulet 'M'. Y'know, Dan, I have not even plugged it in yet, so I have no idea what it sounds like plugged in. I just know it sounds real good unplugged.

Fred

That's the mono system. It will sound great. Keep all the tone/base/treble controls flat on your amp, the pickup will sound flipping fabulous I expect.

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations!

Yes, you are correct. I also have one of these. I said it when I got it in 2012, and I'll say it again, it's the best new guitar I have ever played. Also, it is the most beautiful one.

Here is mine:

DSC_0184_zpse2d817d8.jpg

image_zps78a64a5a.jpg

As is obvious from the pictures, I changed the pickguard and removed the label (I love to tinker and also slotted the bridge adding unslotted bone pins, and glued the saddle in)

Wonderful guitars and perfect appointments, at least in my book.

Just realized that your guitar has the more modern Gibson headstock logo/inlay, compared to the Banner style one on mine. Typical Gibson to change specs like that...

Congratulations again!

Lars

By the way, the burst on the Sheryl SJ is very close to the burst on my 1942 J-45. They are almost identical and have a little more red in them than most contemporary Gibson bursts. Here is the oldie as a comparison.

DSC_0186_zps85228b7a.jpg

I believe Gibson calls it "sunset" burst.

Lars

So I've been keeping my eyes open for one of the Sheryl Crow SJ models, since they came out some time ago ....

I looked for one for quite a while and eventually purchased a very nice SJ TV a coupla years ago. Now once again my eye has turned to the Crow SJ.

Beautiful burst - love it all. Congrats and enjoy. . B)

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations!

Yes, you are correct. I also have one of these. I said it when I got it in 2012, and I'll say it again, it's the best new guitar I have ever played. Also, it is the most beautiful one.

Here is mine:

DSC_0184_zpse2d817d8.jpg

As is obvious from the pictures, I changed the pickguard and removed the label (I love to tinker and also slotted the bridge adding unslotted bone pins, and glued the saddle in)

Wonderful guitars and perfect appointments, at least in my book.

Just realized that your guitar has the more modern Gibson headstock logo/inlay, compared to the Banner style one on mine. Typical Gibson to change specs like that...

Congratulations again!

Lars

Lars

I figured that you would notice that headstock 'anomaly'!

P1120975_zpskwecvefq.jpg

Interestingly, I had the opportunity to audition another example of the same model (2015 Sheryl Crow SJ Supreme) and it had the silkscreen script logo and banner, per the spec on Gibson's website:

Gibson SC SJ Supreme specs

RSSCSCSJNH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

C'est la Gibson....

Fred

Lars

I figured that you would notice that headstock 'anomaly'!

Interestingly, I had the opportunity to audition another example of the same model (2015 Sheryl Crow SJ Supreme) and it had the silkscreen script logo and banner, per the spec on Gibson's website:

C'est la Gibson....

Fred

So true...but equally beautiful!

I find Gibson's marketing more than a little misleading on the specs page you linked. It implies that the pickup, tuners, and the top wood are new for 2016. As far as I know this model has always had the Amulet pickup (mine is the model without pickup), Waverly tuners, and an adirondack top.

Future Gibson collectors will scratch their heads trying to figure out what the difference is between the Sheryl Crow SJ Special Edition and the new 2016 Sheryl Crow SJ Supreme. They are really identical guitars (apart perhaps from your headstock anomaly...) so why change the branding?

Lars

Lars

So true...but equally beautiful!

I find Gibson's marketing more than a little misleading on the specs page you linked. It implies that the pickup, tuners, and the top wood are new for 2016. As far as I know this model has always had the Amulet pickup (mine is the model without pickup), Waverly tuners, and an adirondack top.

Future Gibson collectors will scratch their heads trying to figure out what the difference is between the Sheryl Crow SJ Special Edition and the new 2016 Sheryl Crow SJ Supreme. They are really identical guitars (apart perhaps from your headstock anomaly...) so why change the branding?

Lars

Lars

Lars

Why don't let's get together with our SJs and have a nice little comparison party? [biggrin] I think it would be fun!

As to the headstock treatment on my SC SJ 'S', I don't believe there was any year of SJ that had both the small pickguard AND the inlaid block logo and crown. But it is a striking instrument, and the inlay adds a bit of 'pretty bling'.

Fred

Here is the headstock on the one I had built - nice simple MOP logo, and nothing else.

Lars - I am stealing that photo of your 42 for my Screen Saver. It makes me drool.

CustomShopSJHeadstock.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on my J-45. I hope to some day be a good enough player to deserve such a fine instrument.

I like simplicity, and that headstock is very classy.

Lars

Archived