Gibson Brands Forums

Specific Help with Strings needed badly!

RockyMtnAirShow

Hi,

I need help with strings. I can't afford to buy 20 packs of different strings to try, I can only afford to try like four or five different kinds, and I need some advice from the pros on this site.

I have a Gibson Song Writer Deluxe Edition Small Dreadnot Guitar with the L.R. Baggs pick up in it, the kind where the sound hole is empty, and the transducers are set with a 9 volt battery inside.

I love the sound of this Guitar, and I love the pickup of this Guitar when I hook it up to my Fender Acoustic Amp and DigiTech RP 255 Effects Petal.

The string that were on it were too heavy, had a lot of squeak, and was hard to play especially with chords. I do some picking with a pick, and strumming, but I stay mostly basic with some fast picking in between chords.

I changed the strings to a Elixir PolyWeb .11 to 52, and at the same time I changed the Tusq pins to Ebony pins, and while I thought it sounded a little warmer, and it certainly was easier to play and the sustain was better, but overall

the sound quality on the bass end was worse, and the high end was a little tinner than I would like.

So, I am thinking I would need to either go back to the Tusq pins or try bone which I have a set of, and a thicker set of strings, but not so thick, I can't play for hours and play chords higher on the neck. Maybe a 12 or 13 to 52.

So, I am looking for some advice from folks that are familiar with this Guitar, or builds like mine, and the best strings I can buy for it that will give me better bass back, and not so tinny on the high end, good sustain, and quality overall sound no matter if it plugged in or not.

I can only afford to get about four or five packs of strings to try, and I have a set of bone pins that I can try too, along with the ebony, and Tusq pins. So any help would be appreciated. I know it is hard to as everyone hears sound differently and everyone knows what they

like that can be quite a bit different from what another person likes. But overall, It would be great to have some good opinions from some Gibson Acoustic Guitar players that have experienced a lot with strings and pin, and those that are familiar with the Gibson Song Writer Deluxe Edition Guitar.

Here is what the Guitar looks like that are attached:

post-73656-096844300 1441262771_thumb.png

post-73656-017761700 1441263283_thumb.png

post-73656-031661900 1441263448_thumb.png

post-73656-076628900 1441263481_thumb.png

I'm not a great believer in pins making any discernable difference.

You should let the elixirs settle for a while before making a full judgement.

If you're looking more bass then next set should maybe be 12's , I tried 11's on my j45 a year or two ago and couldn't like them.

Also have you considered a heavier pick? Thumb picks? Growing/cutting your thumb nail?

It's kinda pointless asking anyone , especially as anonymous as a forum, what strings you should use because it's a personal thing.

Buying the same trainers as usain bolt wouldn't make you run 100 metres any quicker

I can agree with the above, and also add, what you are asking is really a tall order.

Basically, it sounds like (pun intended), you want a guitar that plays like butter, but yet also want a guitar that has glorious sound, loud punchy sound (fat strings, lots of tension), but with light strings. EVERYBODY wants that.

First advice I will give (spew) is to say perhaps address the action. IF you were to lower the nut, you could have it playing as nicely as an electric. Trade off would be if you even wanted to play slide, it wouldn't be easy. I won't go on and on about it (unless you wish), but basically just to give the idea that if you want the guitar to be easier to play, you can make it so by addressing the set-up.

It's real hard to guess what you are interpreting what you are hearing from the guitar and liking/not liking from this chair on the computer screen. So with a grain of salt, I would point out that Phosphor bronze strings generally sound darker than 80/20 strings. Most string makers have both types available. You might keep that in mind if and when you decide which is giving you the sound you like.

Coated strings also have a certain "sound" as opposed to uncoated, some like, some don't mind, and some hate. Besides the tonality of it, and which you prefer, the finger noise issue is one that has as much to do with technique than what strings you use. Nothing wrong with choosing a string that makes it easier, but you can be making your own trade-off as far as that goes. You wouldn't be alone in that, just don't ask the impossible of your own expectations.

From what Im hearing the biggest impact that will thicken the tone on the bass and trebles's is to go back to the thicker strings. In other words 12's rather than 11's, that in itself will give you the depth you talk about that.

Then once you go that gage right what I found that worked on my old Songwriter were 80/20 strings for that extra sparkle that goes well with the rosewood band and sides. Specifically Martin SP's Longlife 80/20 12's, however I recall Elixirs sounded half decent on it also, even though I generally cant stand those strings.

Yeah, I know I am asking for the impossible, but if I have a few opinions of Guitar players that are familiar with the Gibson I am playing, then I might be able to make some

better judgments on which ones I will buy and try first. It will save me time and money. Everyone has a certain sound that they like, but there is a lot of experience that have gone

through exactly what I am going through, so there is nothing like experience to learn from. Get some opinions, and go from there. I know I am getting each person's opinion and experience

in what they know and have experienced and the sound they like. And they may be completely different from what I like and hear, but I can still learn, I can still get some information, and

try to make better decisions. They are mine to make and my money to spend. I would never blame that on, "Yeah, this guy on the forum told me these were best, and they are crap"

I make my own responsibilities, and blame no one but myself, but I think you can always learn from others, especially others with experience, knowledge of this Guitar and sound,

and knowledge of pins, saddles, etc. I take what I get and then make my own mind. If I strike out on what I am wanting, then I strike out. I will step up to the plate to Bat again, and just maybe I will Homer. LOL

Well, it is a tough question, but I think one thing we can all agree on is that you gotta go with 12s, good one, standard light-gauge strings. Extra lights are too light, and mediums aren't going to necessarily be a whole lot of fun to play (and I doubt they're necessary--the Songwriters are not heavily braced).

Another thing I can tell you for sure is that the strings aren't going to matter much, if at all, when plugged in. The Baggs Element mostly just creates sound by feeling string pressure pushing down on the saddle. Supposedly it also "senses" the top. Either way, as long as the strings push the saddle down and move the top, they will basically all sound the same plugged in. It is not a microphone. Even extra lights should be fine plugged in unless they're not moving the top enough (which I frankly doubt).

Unplugged, well, then all we can do is give you our recommendations for strings.

I am of the opinion that bridge pins MIGHT make a difference... probably quite a small one. Don't worry too much about that. Strings, on the other hand, unplugged, make a huge difference.

You might want to try John Pearse strings. They're all great. I have different taste in strings than most folks. However, if you're looking for something that sounds great, and sounds broken-in right out of the box, you could try the light/med Phosphor Bronze and Silk. They are NOT a silk and steel set. Easy to play, mellow, sound great. I like the Pure Nickels a lot, too, basically the same deal, just different. But you can't go wrong with their regular old PB and 80/20. A Songwriter might like 80/20 more than PB. I've only played a rosewood Songwriter, no sure what yours is, but that rosewood one really seemed like it would enjoy 80/20 or Pure Nickel.

What you write, wanting bass and not such a tinny high end, makes me think you might like the same kinds of strings as me. Hard to know for sure, though.

Another thing I can tell you (boy I've told you a lot of things now! ha) is that just about any string will sound tinny and brash and horrible until they break in. That's one reason I like John Pearse so much, is because the strings don't seem to need to break in quite as much, especially the Silk and the Pure Nickels. Everything needs to break in, though, and Elixirs, holy cow, they take forever to break in.

So, here is what I have to put on my Gibson SongWriter Deluxe:

Martin Acoustic SP - Phosphor / Bronze - MSP4150 - .012 - .0550

DAddario - Coated 80/20 Bronze - EXP13 - .011 - .052

Gibson - MasterBuilt Premium Phosphor / Bronze - 12 - 53 - SAG-MB12

Elixir - PolyWeb - 11050 - 80/20 Bronze - .012 - .053

John Pearse Acoustic Guitar - Pure Nickel Wound, - .012 - .054, 960L

John Pearse Acoustic Guitar Strings Phosphor Bronze Slightly Light - 550SL - 11 - 50

John Pearse P200L Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light

John Pearse Strings John Pearse Silk Phos Bronze Acoustic Strings - Med-Light - 612LM - 12 - 53

I also have a set of bone pins, ebony pins, and Tusq pins, and I have a set of bone pins, saddle, and nut to try, all good quality.

So, what do you think, would be best to try out of all of these, as far as your own opinion and what you think? And Thanks!

Well, for me personally, of course I am going to be super interested in how you like the various JPs. :)

My preference would be for the 12-54 type strings. I usually find 11s to be a bit reedy and squirmy. But it'll be interesting to hear about the 11s, too, because it is entirely possible you guitar does not even "need" 12s. I began to find that while the initial punch and oomph of 13s is fun, most guitars really don't need them, and some even sound more open with 12s than 13s.

Hope you'll report back to us as you try them all out! The best way is to put something on and leave it on until it's totally dead. That can take months upon months, though, so of course I am terrible at it usually and take them off early, save them, and put something else on...

Well, for me personally, of course I am going to be super interested in how you like the various JPs. :)

My preference would be for the 12-54 type strings. I usually find 11s to be a bit reedy and squirmy. But it'll be interesting to hear about the 11s, too, because it is entirely possible you guitar does not even "need" 12s. I began to find that while the initial punch and oomph of 13s is fun, most guitars really don't need them, and some even sound more open with 12s than 13s.

Hope you'll report back to us as you try them all out! The best way is to put something on and leave it on until it's totally dead. That can take months upon months, though, so of course I am terrible at it usually and take them off early, save them, and put something else on...

Thanks, and do the JP's squeak a lot? Like the Pure Nickels, or the silks?

I too don't leave them on until they are dead. I will change them, and try a new set, and keep the ones I take off to reuse them. I just don't clip them as close as normal and use a drop of super glue and a small piece of electrical tape at the end of the string when I take them off to stay on the used strings only at the end where I clipped them until I reuse them.

Thanks, and do the JP's squeak a lot? Like the Pure Nickels, or the silks?

I too don't leave them on until they are dead. I will change them, and try a new set, and keep the ones I take off to reuse them. I just don't clip them as close as normal and use a drop of super glue and a small piece of electrical tape at the end of the string when I take them off to stay on the used strings only at the end where I clipped them until I reuse them.

That's clever!! My solution is to just not clip them at all. However, I now have some JP Pure Nickel mediums on my 23" scale Martin 7-28 that came from a 25.5" scale D-18, and I think they are a little stretched out!

I think the Pure Nickels squeak a little less than typical strings, but I'm not totally sure on that. One type of string I tried is called a "flat-top" (D'Addario), and it's supposed to minimize squeak and be easier to play. I personally found it really a lot stiffer and thought it squeaked even more, but I am used to the JP Pure Nickels. (I liked the tone of the Flattops a lot, broken-in sounding, but they don't last as long I don't think.)

I could be wrong about any/all of this, too, disclaimer. :)

I also have to admit that I think I might be getting tired of the JP Pure Nickels. I feel guilty saying that, as I have recommended them all over the internet. At the moment, I am really enjoying my J-15 (obsessively so), and it has the Gibson 80/20 on it. The J-15 is a fantastic guitar, but I think part of it is that maybe I just really like those 80/20 Gibson strings. Meanwhile, my Hummingbird has the Pure Nickels, and I find it lacking a certain warmth that it had with the stock 80/20s. My M-36, which is loud as heck with everything (so I tried Pure Nickels to calm it down some) is starting to sound a little strident to me still, and it has me thinking about trying the Phosphor Bronze and Silk or maybe even 80/20s. And finally, my 7-28 with the stretched Pure Nickels has got a super-strident G string.

Basically the opposite of what I want. If only those Gibson 80/20s didn't die so quickly. I guess my string experimentation continues, too... I'm hoping that the JP Phozphor Bronze Silk really are like broken-in 80/20s out of the box, and that they last as long as the Pure Nickels (which last forever for me).

Sorry to confuse the issue even further. :)

That's clever!! My solution is to just not clip them at all. However, I now have some JP Pure Nickel mediums on my 23" scale Martin 7-28 that came from a 25.5" scale D-18, and I think they are a little stretched out!

I think the Pure Nickels squeak a little less than typical strings, but I'm not totally sure on that. One type of string I tried is called a "flat-top" (D'Addario), and it's supposed to minimize squeak and be easier to play. I personally found it really a lot stiffer and thought it squeaked even more, but I am used to the JP Pure Nickels. (I liked the tone of the Flattops a lot, broken-in sounding, but they don't last as long I don't think.)

I could be wrong about any/all of this, too, disclaimer. :)

I also have to admit that I think I might be getting tired of the JP Pure Nickels. I feel guilty saying that, as I have recommended them all over the internet. At the moment, I am really enjoying my J-15 (obsessively so), and it has the Gibson 80/20 on it. The J-15 is a fantastic guitar, but I think part of it is that maybe I just really like those 80/20 Gibson strings. Meanwhile, my Hummingbird has the Pure Nickels, and I find it lacking a certain warmth that it had with the stock 80/20s. My M-36, which is loud as heck with everything (so I tried Pure Nickels to calm it down some) is starting to sound a little strident to me still, and it has me thinking about trying the Phosphor Bronze and Silk or maybe even 80/20s. And finally, my 7-28 with the stretched Pure Nickels has got a super-strident G string.

Basically the opposite of what I want. If only those Gibson 80/20s didn't die so quickly. I guess my string experimentation continues, too... I'm hoping that the JP Phozphor Bronze Silk really are like broken-in 80/20s out of the box, and that they last as long as the Pure Nickels (which last forever for me).

Sorry to confuse the issue even further. :)

No problem, I understand, and I appreciate your opinion too. I bought a couple more of the JP silk strings, and a couple more Martin's, and couple more coated from DAddario, and Heritage.

I think I am going to try a couple of the coated strings first, as when I am playing, it is just me and my Guitar on stage, so I want to keep the squeaks down. In our small building the squeaks can be heard.

After that I will try the JP Pure Nickels and the JP Silk strings.

I don't have a Songwriter, only a J45. I like the DR Rare strings. They seem to bring out more low end than any other set of strings I've tried; very full and balanced, with a slight cut in the treble. I would;t call them mellow, and would say they are more "warm" than other sets. My second favorite set would be Martin SP's, but they lack just a slight bit in the low end compared to the DR Rares. A classic go to set would be D'Addario EJ16's. Classic strings that pretty much sound good on any guitar. I've tried John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings and contrary to popular opinion, I really am NOT impressed. They sound way too metallic when new, but then die out and sound ridiculously dull way too soon. The couple of sets I have tried on my J45 died within a day, leaving the low E string sounding super dead, dull and muted/flabby, and I wasn't the only one who thought this. Granted, I've only tried these strings on my J45 and never put them on any other guitar, but I will never be buying these strings ever again.

I'd say if you are on a budget, you can't really go wrong with D'Addario strings. They seem to work well on pretty much every guitar. They may not be the "best" for every guitar, but in my limited experience they work well on everything, and are a good choice if you're not willing/unable to try out a bunch of different strings.

I don't have a Songwriter, only a J45. I like the DR Rare strings. They seem to bring out more low end than any other set of strings I've tried; very full and balanced, with a slight cut in the treble. I would;t call them mellow, and would say they are more "warm" than other sets. My second favorite set would be Martin SP's, but they lack just a slight bit in the low end compared to the DR Rares. A classic go to set would be D'Addario EJ16's. Classic strings that pretty much sound good on any guitar. I've tried John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings and contrary to popular opinion, I really am NOT impressed. They sound way too metallic when new, but then die out and sound ridiculously dull way too soon. The couple of sets I have tried on my J45 died within a day, leaving the low E string sounding super dead, dull and muted/flabby, and I wasn't the only one who thought this. Granted, I've only tried these strings on my J45 and never put them on any other guitar, but I will never be buying these strings ever again.

I'd say if you are on a budget, you can't really go wrong with D'Addario strings. They seem to work well on pretty much every guitar. They may not be the "best" for every guitar, but in my limited experience they work well on everything, and are a good choice if you're not willing/unable to try out a bunch of different strings.

How do the DR Rares compare to DR Sunbeams, if you've tried those? I did not care for the Sunbeams, but I might have tried them on the "wrong" guitar...

I agree that D'Addarios, whether regular old J16s or the coated EJ16s, are pretty darn good. EJ16s used to be my go-to. However, with both, I had the same experience as sbpark had with the Pearse strings, that they would just be way too chatty and loud at first, then become thuddy. The EJ16s seemed to stay in the sweet spot much longer, but they also stayed in the chatty, loud, break-in phase, and at this phase in my own life, I just don't have time to break-in strings. :) I want them to sound good out of the box.

Anyway, really interested in any and all string opinions! These threads are great.

Strings and Beyond is doing free shipping on all orders right now, too, I believe... Going to grab a pack of DR Rares to try.

Rocky, let us know what you think of the various strings when you get the chance to finally try them!

How do the DR Rares compare to DR Sunbeams, if you've tried those? I did not care for the Sunbeams, but I might have tried them on the "wrong" guitar...

I agree that D'Addarios, whether regular old J16s or the coated EJ16s, are pretty darn good. EJ16s used to be my go-to. However, with both, I had the same experience as sbpark had with the Pearse strings, that they would just be way too chatty and loud at first, then become thuddy. The EJ16s seemed to stay in the sweet spot much longer, but they also stayed in the chatty, loud, break-in phase, and at this phase in my own life, I just don't have time to break-in strings. :) I want them to sound good out of the box.

Anyway, really interested in any and all string opinions! These threads are great.

Strings and Beyond is doing free shipping on all orders right now, too, I believe... Going to grab a pack of DR Rares to try.

Rocky, let us know what you think of the various strings when you get the chance to finally try them!

Agreed, the D'Addario EJ16's can be a bit "chatty" as you described (I descrbe it as a metallic "zing" that annoys me when they are new), but they do mellow out and maintain a rather nice sound once this "zing" disappears, compared to the Pearse strings that go from 'zing' to dull thud super quick.

I've never tried the DR Sunbeams, so unfortunately I cannot compare them to the DR Rares. I guess the only way I can explain the DR Rares to other strings is the Rares sound broken in from the get go compared to other strings, and lack the "chatter" you describe. I personally am not a fan of super bright, sing strings, so the Rares are where it's at for my J45 Standard. I'm hoping to have a used J35 I recently bought sight unseen delivered next week, and am curious which strings will pair well with that guitar.

I've never tried the DR Sunbeams, so unfortunately I cannot compare them to the DR Rares. I guess the only way I can explain the DR Rares to other strings is the Rares sound broken in from the get go compared to other strings, and lack the "chatter" you describe.

That is good enough for me! I'm sold! I hope reality matches up to expectation for me, because that is precisely the string of my dreams that I am looking for. Maybe I should have ordered more than one pack. $7 is not bad.

I noticed they call their 12-54 gauge medium. That is light for other manufacturers. Likewise they call their 11-52 lights, but that's extra light elsewhere. So, I went for the "mediums". They are apparently low-tension, too, so I'd hate to get light expecting light--it would be what I'd call extra-light, plus low tension besides. Automatic blues playing on a short-scale, even when not intended!

That is good enough for me! I'm sold! I hope reality matches up to expectation for me, because that is precisely the string of my dreams that I am looking for. Maybe I should have ordered more than one pack. $7 is not bad.

I noticed they call their 12-54 gauge medium. That is light for other manufacturers. Likewise they call their 11-52 lights, but that's extra light elsewhere. So, I went for the "mediums". They are apparently low-tension, too, so I'd hate to get light expecting light--it would be what I'd call extra-light, plus low tension besides. Automatic blues playing on a short-scale, even when not intended!

Yeah, the way they describe them can be a little misleading. They call 12-54 light, which made me initially buy the 13-56 "mediums". The 13-56 did offer a little bit more low end, but I just seemed to enjoy the 12-54's better regarding feel. Yes, they are lower tension, but in all honesty, I really couldn't tell a HUGE difference between the "light" Rares and D'Addario EJ16 12-53, or at least to the point where it caused any problems or differences in playability. Then again, I'm not a super picky player, usually play with an average to slightly higher action because I can hear a difference in tone, and feel like I can play with a slight higher action if it means an improvement in tone (I also play banjo, and banjo players are notorious for having high action. It results in better tone and a louder instrument!). Also, I've never had an issue with tuning the Rares down a half step on a short scale Gibson, or dropped C#, even though they are touted as lower tension.

I picked up a pack of the DR Rares - 12's, and a couple more different kinds. So I have about a dozen different kinds of strings to try out on my Songwriter Deluxe.

I went from the pins on the guitar to ebony pins, and 11's Polyweb Elixir strings. They did settle down after a couple of days and were okay, But I went to the

bone pins, and the Elixir Nano 12's, and it is much better. Wow do the bone pins make a difference to me and my grandfather in what we hear in tone.

He did not like the ebony pins either, or maybe it's because I jumped right from plastic to ebony. It really warmed tone and good sustain, but it tamped down the high and low end quite a bit with the ebony pins.

With the bone pins, you still got some great sustain, and it is much bolder of a sound, louder, and not as warm, but full high and low end tones coming out. If I could get somewhere in between the ebony and bone, it would be great. Some warmth, sustain, clear high and low tones.

The Gibson 80/20 strings - 12's, are very good, I like them, they do squeak a little more than the coated strings, but that is more me than anything. I just have to not slide on them so much. I use a bone pick, but with a medium nylon pick with the Elixir nano 12's, and Gibson 80/20, I like it better on tone to add some warmth to the sound.

We put a combination of Elixir Nanoweb's 12's and Polyweb's 11's on the Guitar, and went back to the original pins. I sanded down the end of the pins

and put a small slop on the end of the pins, and checked it with a mirror to make sure the strings were in right. This combo works really well. The really nice

sound that I like is back now. It is easier to play, I get great highs and lows, warmth, and a nice blend of sound when it is not plugged in. Plugged in, it sounds

amazing through my Fender Acoustic Amp, and even though my little Crate, it sounds good. After the strings have broken in some. I like this for now. With what we

have tried so far, the Tusq pins that Gibson uses are great. The bone pins are good, and we didn't like the ebony pins with this guitar anyway.

Archived