Gibson Brands Forums

Tony P checks torrefaction

E-minor7

There is something about this version of the J45 that has me GASing. I already have 2 J45s, but would be content with one if I could find something halfway in between my J45 TV and my J45 1942 Banner reissue (JT project reissue similar to Legend). I love them both and they are very different. The 42 has a direct presence and is very dry and punchy, whereas the TV is more eveloping in sound. I find i have a hard time going back and forth between fat necks (42 Banner reissue) and thin necks (TV)....looking for something right in the middle. I bought the 42 with the thought that it would replace the TV, but they are so different, that i have been unable to part with either.

I am really interested in hearing more about the C-profile neck and the rounded fretboard edges.....Dan you have a legend, a J45TV and have played the new 2016 vintage....whats your take on the necks? I know the specs on the Vintage say C profile and thinkness about the same as the TV....

anyone know what bracing pattern is used on the Vintage?

There is something about this version of the J45 that has me GASing. I already have 2 J45s, but would be content with one if I could find something halfway in between my J45 TV and my J45 1942 Banner reissue (JT project reissue similar to Legend). I love them both and they are very different. The 42 has a direct presence and is very dry and punchy, whereas the TV is more eveloping in sound. I find i have a hard time going back and forth between fat necks (42 Banner reissue) and thin necks (TV)....looking for something right in the middle. I bought the 42 with the thought that it would replace the TV, but they are so different, that i have been unable to part with either.

I am really interested in hearing more about the C-profile neck and the rounded fretboard edges.....Dan you have a legend, a J45TV and have played the new 2016 vintage....whats your take on the necks? I know the specs on the Vintage say C profile and thinkness about the same as the TV....

anyone know what bracing pattern is used on the Vintage?

Bram - I loved this new J-45. Had it been for sale I may have traded both my TV and the Legend for it. I have experienced a little bit of disappointment with the Legend because the bridge plate is not wide enough to allow the installation of a Trance. Minor thing. Its a wonderful; guitar, and the one I always bring to jam with friends, and I have 'electrified' the TV, the J-50, and soon the D-35, so I will talk myself into being content, at the moment.

Beautiful guitar. Sounds real good. But, does it sound better than other J45s (old or new)? How is an old/Vintage guitar supposed to sound? Also, to my ears this particular guitar seemed to be a little short in the bass department. Not trying to start a war, but I just don't "hear" why this model cost so much. Not talking about marketing. I hope it's a huge winner for Gibson. Just logically, why does it cost so much more?

RE: Vintage C neck. It took me about a week or ten days to get comfortable with the feel, but now I really don't even think about it when I go to the J-45 from another guitar. The rounded edges on the board are a key to comfort in playing and probably something I remain more aware of than the C neck shape. X scalloped pattern bracing, super light guitar that is really comfortable to play once you accept that little bit more substance to the neck. Dry, sharp and punchy tone that prefers the 80/20 strings with which Gibson loaded it. It's a no frills guitar. As I said, I'm sure pleased with it.

edit to MissouriPicker: It just sounds like a well played in Gibson J-45 to me. The bass is there to the fingertips on mine. If anything is worth an extra word on it, might be clarity and separation when fingerpicking. I noticed the tone as distinct and pleasing enough to buy it and I'm not that easily impressed anymore. It won't change the world, but it's a sweet sounding J-45 for sure. And heck, they all cost way too much, but it didn't cost as much (by today's standards) as everyone seems to be hearing.

steve

Yes, this 45 has a thermally cured adirondack red spruce top - and it IS a bit as if it doesn't make Polecastro fly.

Lack of bass - perhaps - I'll listen again.

Regarding the price, one should think the torrefaction eats a bit of the electricity budget - plus working the oven itself.

MissouriP - It might be that T.P. underplays the bass department a little, but listen to 1:59 - there are plenty beneath the hood.

In these ears the bluegrass runs between 2:42 and 3:01 really show a wonderfully even and loose guitar.

Take this horse to the fields or into the circus ring - I bet it will perform for you. .

I don't know if it's their mic or Tony's playing or what, but everything he plays just sounds about the same to me... Sometimes I wish he would just strum some simple chords.

As to why this guitar is so expensive, that is a good and fair question. The thermal curing process adds some man-hours, and the Adirondack red spruce adds some price over sitka. I think this one is also 100% hide glue. Maybe they have to pay the employees a little more to do the hide glue or something. :P There is definitely a mark-up for it; whether there should be or not is open to debate.They also build these Vintage models differently, like the True Vintage models, but how/why does that add to cost? I'm not sure. It could simply be that these are considered more desirable and really do just have a mark-up on the price. Or maybe there's something I'm missing. They're not making a huge profit on the standard J-45, and they're making even less profit on the J-15.

I have no doubt, however, that this guitar would be a total knock-out in person, and it probably does need to be played-in some. If I were getting a J-45, I would go this route, but that's partly based just on my experience with my Hummingbird, which is of the same series (but sitka top) and is phenomenal. (Edit: except--1-11/16" nut on the J-45 V, ick!)

I don't know if it's their mic or Tony's playing or what, but everything he plays just sounds about the same to me... Sometimes I wish he would just strum some simple chords.

But isn't ordinary Salvation Army chords what he always ends on - very straight G's C's and D's. .

Apart from that, I - without being a psychologist - have the idea T.P. isn't too keen on the torrefied concept.

I tend to believe he - as the genuine purist and real-rider he is - dislikes the pseudo-vintage attempts, and don't think he tested many torrefied guitars before.

Not even the fried anniversary Martin D-35 - correct if wrong.

Jesse , no offence , but how do you know how much profit they make ?

I don't know, but let's do some simple, very general and broad theorizing.

Think about a J-15-- How many man-hours does a J-15 take? 20? 30? And they are probably making at least $15 an hour, I hope! Hopefully they make more like $20. (Cost of living in Bozeman is not cheap.) Then you factor in the cost of materials (even spruce, maple and walnut are not exactly cheap), the cost of getting the materials to Montana, the cost of getting the guitars to the dealers, the price the dealer pays (which is lower than $1000 for sure).

Even if the dealer did pay $1000 for each J-15, which I really don't think they do (I bought mine for $1070--there's no way they only make $70 profit)... and if labor only cost $400 for each guitar... and materials only cost $200... So what I'm saying is that I don't think the profit margin is real high on the J-15. $200? $300 at the most?

Thinking about a J-45 Vintage, however, I expect it goes the other direction and the profit margin is higher. But the savings with the J-15 comes from less labor hours and from less expensive materials that don't have to travel as far as Honduran mahogany or East Indian rosewood. With a J-45 V, you've got more man-hours, more expensive materials... but not enough to account for the entire mark-up obviously.

We'd need to do better detective work to know for sure on any of this.

But isn't ordinary Salvation Army chords what he always ends on - very straight G's C's and D's. .

Apart from that, I - without being a psychologist - have the idea T.P. isn't too keen on the torrefied concept.

I tend to believe he - as the genuine purist and real-rider he is - dislikes the pseudo-vintage attempts, and don't think he tested many torrefied guitars before.

Not even the fried anniversary Martin D-35 - correct if wrong.

Well, the rest of the Music Villa crew sure seemed excited about the torrefied top on my Hummingbird. Tony was on vacation that day, though.

Yes--but I need more than 15 seconds of G, C and D! :P And the speedy kind of strum thing he does at the end is nice, but it doesn't make much use of the low E.

Edit: Okay, I went back out of curiosity and watched/listened again. :) I had watched this a day or two ago on my TV. Maybe my mood is different now, but I like the guitar and his playing more than before. Guitar sounds great!

Psychologically speaking, he has a lot of high praise for the guitar at the beginning. No, he does not look enthused, but he also has dark circles under his eyes. Late night? Early morning? No coffee? No one downloading his acoustic guitar buyers' guide? We will never know. I don't think the source of his malcontent (if he has any) is the guitar, though. Generally speaking, he doesn't commentate much about guitars if he doesn't like what he's commentating about. He will just run through the features without extra input it seems to me. Here, he had a lot to say about it looking and sounding old. Dno much about Tony P other than watching these videos though!

So that's what I think anyway. I'm not one of those US government lie detector people.

One thing I re-heard and forgot about (and was mentioned in this thread above) is... 1-11/16" nut width?? I guess that's what the nut width was back then, but that would be a deal-breaker for me, truly. 1.725" is already a little thin for me, being used to 1-3/4".

Well, the rest of the Music Villa crew sure seemed excited about the torrefied top on my Hummingbird. Tony was on vacation that day, though.

Wouldn't doubt it - they sound terrific and I still can't wait to try one - Bird or 45.

What others think doesn't matter a millimetre as long as you sense what you sense - Let's be our own men and meet each other like that.

What do I btw. know about T.P. and torrefaction : z e r o

Wouldn't doubt it - they sound terrific and I still can't wait to try one - Bird or 45.

What others think doesn't matter a millimetre as long as you sense what you sense - Let's be our own men and meet each other like that.

What do I btw. know about T.P and torrefaction : z e r o

They are both mysteries to me, too! All I can do is theorize--sums up life for me :)

Archived