Gibson Brands Forums

2015 nick lucas koa (Tony P review)

JuanCarlosVejar

Wow. Always loved these Nick Lucas models. I think they need a bare bones model, though. How about one without the bling with walnut back and sides?

Love how they have the deep body. They sound fantastic. I have a Martin 7-28 which is a really small guitar but with a deep body. It's smaller than the Lucas, so not a fair comparison, but I just love small guitars with deep bodies.

Love that honeyburst finish, too. I thought it was iced tea?? I can't keep all their finishes straight. The SJ-100 Walnut I'm gassing over has honeyburst, too, but it looks different!

Anyway, the Nick Lucas is a knock-out model that I wish they'd do more with besides blingy versions with fancy koa (koa might look nice, but I think mahogany sounds better). The Adirondack top can stay though maybe... :)

I feel bad saying this, but I think I actually might prefer Brian's videos to Tony's. I know the Acoustic Letter videos are scientifically engineered to the point that they use the exact same mic, exact same mic position, and play the exact same stuff every time, but it has the effect for me of making the guitars all sound really similar. Then again maybe if I listened to as many of Brian's videos as I have Tony's, I'd say the same thing!

I am not usually a fan of koa. it just sounds too stiff to me. I DO like the smaller Gibsons though. I have to say, the one example of this model that I have played sounds really good. It is much more open and has a nicer ring and overall sound that just about any koa I have played. it doesn't sound stiff at all. maybe it's the small body? adi top? depth of body? the mixture? I'm not sure why, but it works. a bit too flashy looking for my tastes, but of course everyone is different.

Keith

Archived