Gibson Brands Forums

So. The New Annoying Trend Is To........

Murph

Start EVERY FREAKING SENTENCE with the word SO.

I really didn't mind it so much until it took over the news and sports on T.V. It's one thing when kids follow idiotic trends, but when News anchors and announcers pick it up and beat it to death it gets annoying.

Just when we were almost over "Yea, I know right?"....................................

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really didn't mind it so much until it took over the news and sports on T.V. It's one thing when kids follow idiotic trends, but when News anchors and announcers pick it up and beat it to death it gets annoying.

Just when we were almost over "Yea, I know right?"....................................

So, I wuz readin' yer post Murph...

Agreed! I've caught myself doing it, when posting recently. I hate it when an annoying habit creeps into MY vocabulary! (I have enough of MY OWN annoying habits...like parenthetical statements...)

Question; Have the young folks in your area adopted the "Every sentence sounds like a question when I'm speaking" habit? My grandson, 9, just visited for a whole week. Literally every sentence he speaks sounds like that. He was beginning to lessen it by the time he left... Hard to explain when typing, but it's similar to "I was going to Susie's house the other day? She's my friend from school? We played Minecraft? on her Galaxy 6 iPhone?" The voice / tonal inflection goes up in pitch at the end of each sentence...

Spoke to my daughter about it- seems he is getting made fun of in school for it. She says she has no idea how it got started, but said lots of young folks, particularly girls, speak that way where she lives. Poor little guy's Dad (loose term) abandonned him when he was three and he's struggled somewhat. All he needs is another thing to set him apart, in a negative way.

I digress- where does this stuff get started?

Maybe start a post "Colloquialisms through the 60s, 70s 80s.." Might be fun!

Brian

This reminds me of some fun my then boss and my then co-workers had with a female colleague in the late 1980s.

Nobody of us knew why but she disliked people saying "hey" regardless of context. One fine day we agreed to finish every sentence adding "hey" when talking to her or when she was present. We had done that already for a while until she uttered there was something different with us today but couldn't tell exactly what it was. She finally found out, and we had a loud, jolly laugh together.

From that day on she always smiled when somebody said "hey" [biggrin]

So I'm not the only one! Another gaining widespread usage that gets my goat is using "kiddos" instead of the shorter, simpler, kids. [cursing] Ya know what I mean?

Question; Have the young folks in your area adopted the "Every sentence sounds like a question when I'm speaking" habit? My grandson, 9, just visited for a whole week. Literally every sentence he speaks sounds like that. He was beginning to lessen it by the time he left... Hard to explain when typing, but it's similar to "I was going to Susie's house the other day? She's my friend from school? We played Minecraft? on her Galaxy 6 iPhone?" The voice / tonal inflection goes up in pitch at the end of each sentence...

I digress- where does this stuff get started?

Brian

It's called "up-talking" and it started in the world of business - supposed to make people hang on your every word. I vaguely remember a commercial making fun of it many years ago. It's almost as annoying as the exact opposite. A local reporter here would be very good if each and every sentence didn't fall an octave at the same pace like clockwork.

I just change the channel - frequently. Some newscasters I can't listen to because they're airheads or use grammar that would give their Elementary School teachers fits. One weather girl prattles on and on so much that by the time she's finished you can't recall most of what she just said. One smiles like she's on double extra Prozac even when she's broadcasting tornado warnings. A couple more are just too plain damn goofy. Then there are those with voices that make you wonder if the ones doing the hiring are tone deaf - LIKE NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD!

Hope that makes you feel better instead of worse, Murph!

leg up

inroads

take home message

at the end of the day

needless to say

it is what it is

basically

see what I'm saying?

The list is endless...because the list is forever appended. I catch myself using the buzz word or phrase and fight it off as best I can.

I'm happy this thread exists. I thought I was being a richard. Nice to know there are other richards around with the same buttons as me.

This is the most important thread on the forum.... [biggrin]

There is an insidious dis-respect for language as spoken and written(texted).... :blink:

The novelty/joy of computers and internet has encouraged playful 'toying' with language by young folks wishing to appear 'cool'...

And not forgetting the laziness inherent in abbreviating everything to facilitate speed of communication.... :blink:

I am sad :-({|= to note the complete disregard for punctuation...

Well written and spoken language is a precious thing

There are even groups/clubs in existence to preserve/promote the use of 'Good English'.. [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

So I'm not the only one! Another gaining widespread usage that gets my goat is using "kiddos" instead of the shorter, simpler, kids. [cursing] Ya know what I mean?

It's called "up-talking" and it started in the world of business - supposed to make people hang on your every word. I vaguely remember a commercial making fun of it many years ago. It's almost as annoying as the exact opposite. A local reporter here would be very good if each and every sentence didn't fall an octave at the same pace like clockwork.

I just change the channel - frequently. Some newscasters I can't listen to because they're airheads or use grammar that would give their Elementary School teachers fits. One weather girl prattles on and on so much that by the time she's finished you can't recall most of what she just said. One smiles like she's on double extra Prozac even when she's broadcasting tornado warnings. A couple more are just too plain damn goofy. Then there are those with voices that make you wonder if the ones doing the hiring are tone deaf - LIKE NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD!

Hope that makes you feel better instead of worse, Murph!

Thank you for that information! How sad...it started in the business world! Doesn't make me want to hang on every word, but it does make me want to do....something!

Brian

This is the most important thread on the forum.... [biggrin]

There is an insidious dis-respect for language as spoken and written(texted).... :blink:

The novelty/joy of computers and internet has encouraged playful 'toying' with language by young folks wishing to appear 'cool'...

And not forgetting the laziness inherent in abbreviating everything to facilitate speed of communication.... :blink:

I am sad :-({|= to note the complete disregard for punctuation...

Well written and spoken language is a precious thing

There are even groups/clubs in existence to preserve/promote the use of 'Good English'.. [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

+110% (Cliche there, no?)

Fully agree! And in my opinion, when vocabulary goes, knowledge follows, soon trailed by intelligence...

Brian

For awhile, around here where I live - the most (recent) annoying thing I can think of was a response it seemed like everyone was using whenever someone would make an observation or ask a question - the reply was "ya think?". Drove me crazy which is a short trip but that's for another thread. :)

Office phrase(bubble over my head)

Just so you know...(do I LOOK like I want to fukking know?)

No...I'm just sayin...(One thing I know for sure, anytime anyone says just sayin they for certain are NOT just ****kin sayin)

Oh by the way...(I didn't care about the rest of the conversation, I don't give a fukk about any more)

Oh, and FYI...(I DON'T GIVE A FUKK)

I got a gajillion more. I dream, sweat, live for retirement AND NEVER HEAR THIS KINDA BULLSH1T AGAIN.

rct

[laugh] I'm with ya Murph. It's utterly lame. I thought it might just be a U.S. cultural thing until a favourite Brit member started using it a lot.

rct - yes indeed. 9 years if I'm lucky and what joy not to hear the 'consultant-speak' bs again! My most despised one that's emerged over the past few years is to 'reach out' to someone. When I hear it I just want to reach out across the 'kin table and....

Archived