Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1930 L1 frets showing wear - what remedies?

Idaho

My 1930 Gibson L1 has the original, very narrow frets still installed and the frets in first position are showing some low spots, especially under the upper register strings.

First, I'm about 50 miles south of Seattle. Anybody know a luthier hereabouts you'd trust to work on my guitar? It is in great shape other than the frets.

Second, the ideas I've come up with so far are:

1. Just have the frets pulled, inverted and re-installed with the worn spots down; this should work since the fretboard is flat as a pancake.

2. Pull frets from the third position and swap them out with the worn ones from first position.

Anybody dealt with this problem before? How did you handle it?

Do my ideas to remedy the situation seem at all reasonable?

Your responses will be appreciated.

Turn frets upside down? I don't think so.

There are only 2 things you can do: get a "fret dress", or get a re-fret.

A fret dress is just leveling the existing frets to make the surfaces even and smooth again. I don't know how small, or "low" your frets are, but you can usually get a few fret dressings before they are so low they need replacing. That all depends on how worn they are, and how tall they are in the first place.

If you have to replace, you can often get away with just replacing SOME of the frets, which is often a good idea. If only a few are worn, replacing them before dressing them will save more of the fret materiel on the other frets after they are dressed. (a fret replacement is always followed by a fret-dressing).

I can appreciate wanting to keep the guitar "original" with the original frets, but it's like tires. The only way to do that is to not drive it. It MAY hurt the value somewhat, but the MAIN reason that guitars with original, un-worn frets are a deal at all is because it is an indication the guitar hasn't been played. A guitar with original worn frets is no more valuable than one with replaced frets.

I wouldn't fret about it. I think wearing frets down is an accomplishment. Be proud of yourself.

Archived