Gibson Brands Forums

'46 SJ

Buc McMaster

My go to repair guy and all around stringed instrument wizard Jake at Antebellum Instruments has a 1946 Southern Jumbo in the shop that I think is for sale. From what I've been able to gather there are several folks in his customer base looking hard at this one...........you might shoot him an email if you're in the market for an old, classic, beat up Gibson slope dreadnaught. This one appears to be rosewood, Brazilian at that.........where these built rosewood in '46?

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2015/09/1946-gibson-southern-jumbo-slope-dread.html

No affiliation with Jake nor his business...........just a customer that appreciates excellent work.

With the 1 11/16" nut I would think a late 1946 or early 1947. Too bad the tuners were AWOL they would help. But in the end it really des not matter a whole lot.

I agree about the bridge replacement. That guitar deserves a long saddle repro bridge.

But all in all looks like it will be a great player's guitar assuming it is priced reasonably.

The body back and sides are mahogany. To bad about the lousy bridge replacement job though.

SJ's had a variety of bridge types in the 1940's--belly up, belly down--without a definitive timeline, as far as I can tell. Given all the work done to this guitar, it's a shame they didn't replicate the original slot-through saddle and basic bridge shape.

That bridge sticks out like a sore thumb.

I would love to have an SJ from about that year, but this guitar isn't the one for me.

With the 1 11/16" nut I would think a late 1946 or early 1947. Too bad the tuners were AWOL they would help. But in the end it really des not matter a whole lot.

I agree about the bridge replacement. That guitar deserves a long saddle repro bridge.

But all in all looks like it will be a great player's guitar assuming it is priced reasonably.

Agreed. But if the price was right I would just replace the bridge. The sound clip sounded good (I know it's an mp3 digital recording, but that's what we got these days).

Archived