Gibson Brands Forums

What is Richlite

Dotneck

Same as Corian kitchen counter top materials….I had a Martin 00-17 once that had it on the fret board and bridge…it really didn't bother me at all…felt fine, sounded goos…..here is a vid of that guitar I did…

I dont think its so much the sound and playability as much as it is the Price of these Guitars... I would hope quality woods would be used to warrant the prices..

were sitting at about 2700 cdn for a j45 here.. so my question would be.. fret replacement.. its not going to be the same as Rosewood or Ebony, or is it?

I hope Plastic bracing is not going to replace wood.. That would be going cheap..

My first slope was not a Gibson. It was ... Gulp... A Martin CEO 4R. I never liked the guitar as it was too muddy. However it did have a riichlite fretboard, which looked and played great.

To be honest I don't know how I would feel about it on my Gibson J45. I'm thinking I'd prefer real wood, but that's maybe due to too many years on guitar forums.

When I went back to school back in the early '70s, - in the required science course - one point I remember vividly (because it scared me) was that in 50 years we will run out of the chemicals needed to make batteries. Of course, that was just before someone invented Rechargeable Batteries, and new chemical combinations to make mini-batteries, etc. So, I'm pre-disposed to be a skeptic. I believe, sadly, there are some woods that will disappear, when jungles are cleared to grow coffee of palm oil. Tigers are more threatened than trees, but places like Brazil and Madagascar do not have the same 'environmentally responsible' views as someone living in California might. While the tactile surface is critical on a fingerboard, and something like Corian would not fly with me - for the reasons Rambler noted. I think there are lots of alternatives, like cherry or sapele. And, for the cheaper, entry level, starter, student guitars - they could use almost any kind of cheap wood. Or Corian.

I agree that some slow growing, rarer woods like ebony are a problem - but it may just be that those go on the high end guitars and are considered the same as semi[precious metals - not in everyone's price range.

what else don't you like about the progressive?

Well, I am not crazy about the auto tune (what ever they renamed it). I don't think there is anything progressive about the saddle, haven't they been using that since the 60's? The thing I don't like most of all is the inlays on the fretboard. Do dots and call it a J 45, do parallelograms and call it a Southern Jumbo progressive. Just my opinion, but I have always leaned more towards the tradional in something like a J 45. I know they have changed a lot over the years, but this isn't really a J 45 at all.

Well, I am not crazy about the auto tune (what ever they renamed it). I don't think there is anything progressive about the saddle, haven't they been using that since the 60's? The thing I don't like most of all is the inlays on the fretboard. Do dots and call it a J 45, do parallelograms and call it a Southern Jumbo progressive. Just my opinion, but I have always leaned more towards the tradional in something like a J 45. I know they have changed a lot over the years, but this isn't really a J 45 at all.

I'm agreeing with this. J45 has dots. It just does

Looks like richlite has started showing up on J-45 as a fingerboard and bridge material. Is richlite wood?

No, not wood. But it's not plastic, either. It looks like unblemished black ebony. It's a man-made material probably a little harder than ebony. Watch that video in Rabs' post. The choice ebony on this planet is about used up. Of course, there are still ebony boards in the used market.

I just don't like the degrading of a Gibson Icon. If you want to put plastic on a Gibson don't put it on an Icon. Be a little creative and hang it on a "new" model. I know they don't have anyone that can actually design and build a "new" model but maybe they could take a guitar from the past like the OP-25 and put their "new" features on it.

First they put "Flubber" on the Hummingbird and now it's on a bunch of guitars including the J_200. This tone sucking stuff costs nothing compared to a real pickguard but Gibson raises the price instead of passing the savings on to the customer. No one here objected and they got the green light from the posters here to cheapen the product so they did. Now they put plastic on the "Workhorse" and no one seems to be upset.

They are so clueless at Gibson that they actually think a plastic adjustable bridge is a new innovation. Guess no one there remembers the B-25. There have been numerous threads here and on other forums that encourage folks to take the plastic off and put wood bridges on as upgrade replacements. Most of you think that because Martin uses plastic Gibson should as well. Shame on you as you are making it easy for Gibson to degrade their product at your expense. Anyone that thinks plastic has a home on the J-45 just doesn't know or was born last year. If they get away with this look for a plastic moustache bridge coming soon to a dealer near you.

I just don't like the degrading of a Gibson Icon. If you want to put plastic on a Gibson don't put it on an Icon. Be a little creative and hang it on a "new" model. I know they don't have anyone that can actually design and build a "new" model but maybe they could take a guitar from the past like the OP-25 and put their "new" features on it.

First they put "Flubber" on the Hummingbird and now it's on a bunch of guitars including the J_200. This tone sucking stuff costs nothing compared to a real pickguard but Gibson raises the price instead of passing the savings on to the customer. No one here objected and they got the green light from the posters here to cheapen the product so they did. Now they put plastic on the "Workhorse" and no one seems to be upset.

They are so clueless at Gibson that they actually think a plastic adjustable bridge is a new innovation. Guess no one there remembers the B-25. There have been numerous threads here and on other forums that encourage folks to take the plastic off and put wood bridges on as upgrade replacements. Most of you think that because Martin uses plastic Gibson should as well. Shame on you as you are making it easy for Gibson to degrade their product at your expense. Anyone that thinks plastic has a home on the J-45 just doesn't know or was born last year. If they get away with this look for a plastic moustache bridge coming soon to a dealer near you.

Hgy, Agree 100% - except for the part about no one being upset about the Progressive. I think there was a thread a couple of months ago, more geared to the Robotuners, that clearly sent a message that no self respecting forum member would buy one.

Yes, it is sort of ironic - as OWF pointed out- that Bozeman would start using flubber and plastic, while Epiphone / China uses wood. If resources are that scarece, re-allocate them. Let Epiphone introduce the "Progressive Product Line". As one member mentioned - with a little handle in the bout you can crank and the guitar will work like a player piana a al the old, plastic, miniature Mickey Mouse guitars of the '50s. The Progressive "J45" is clearly devaluing the Gibson marque.

• 2 years later...

Hgy, Agree 100% - except for the part about no one being upset about the Progressive. I think there was a thread a couple of months ago, more geared to the Robotuners, that clearly sent a message that no self respecting forum member would buy one.

Yes, it is sort of ironic - as OWF pointed out- that Bozeman would start using flubber and plastic, while Epiphone / China uses wood. If resources are that scarece, re-allocate them. Let Epiphone introduce the "Progressive Product Line". As one member mentioned - with a little handle in the bout you can crank and the guitar will work like a player piana a al the old, plastic, miniature Mickey Mouse guitars of the '50s. The Progressive "J45" is clearly devaluing the Gibson marque.

Came across this and was excited until I saw the fretboard and bridge was made out of Richlite. Why they use it on their top of the line guitars is a mystery. I wonder how it compares tonally, especially the bridge, compared to ebony. Considering that ebony has less sound transmission than rosewood, I woudnt even want it with ebony. Rosewood rings out the best.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sj-200-vine-special-limited-run--acoustic-guitar?rNtt=sj200&index=5#productDetail

One of the best sounding guitars I've owned, my Martin 00DB, had a Richlite board and bridge (along with entirely sustainable FSC Mahogany construction). The Richlite felt silky and fast, like a good ebony board. I have no issues with Richlite at all, as a player. We have to look to sustainable materials and think progressively going forward.

The bottom line is that there are thousands of wonderful used instruments for sale with just about every combination of beautiful woods imaginable. We have the luxury of choice between older traditionally built guitars or modern, progressively specced models. What a time to be alive!

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2015 at 5:51 PM, slimt said:

Richlite:

It is NOT plastic at all.

I don't really care about sustainable materials, of course I will ALWAYS prefer high quality woods and craftmanship, but Richlite is amazing, it is the fingerboard material on my new Gibson J-45 Custom! 🙂

Richlite is made from paper thin slices of wood, it's paper, many layers stacked together with their woodgrains criss crossed, moistened in a special lacquer, and then "pressure pressed" and heated until it binds together, it is far superior to cut thin slabs of wood that are usually used for fretboards.. It is great for music tones and is stronger, everlasting, and moisture resistant, it will never chip, warp, or crack, and it is much easier to take care of. It has the same style tone as being in the middle of rosewood and ebony, and it has the look of both.. It is amazing! It is made from many sheets of sliced paper.. WOOD. 🙂

Edited by DaveyFreeLove69
Added more comments. :-)