Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Japan Limited Edition

T-Rev

This guitar caught my eye as soon as I saw the word Japan.

Apparently it's a limited edition 2015 Les Paul Traditional made in Japan. Comes with late 50's neck, 59 tributes, is non weight relieved.

The only downfall is it has G Force. Of course that would be uninstalled in a heart beat.

I'm sure to the average USA lover this may be a non starter, but for me I'm very curious and my local L&M has one coming in.

I'm excited to try this out!

Here's the specs from L&M

https://www.long-mcquade.com/63972/

Hmm, that is a weird model...

If its a 2015, it has none of the appointments... Normal width neck, normal pickguard (as in not the one that clips on), no Les Paul 100 on the headstock, no hologram... but with G-Force???

At first I thought it was one of the SR runs.. but no, that guitar has some of those features...

Very confusing???? :-k

I don't think it was made in Japan, i think it was made to sell to the Japaneses Market, by Gibson here in the US. No where in the specs does it say made in Japan. with the crap tuning **** on the back, you can't see the Made in USA.

This guitar caught my eye as soon as I saw the word Japan.

Apparently it's a limited edition 2015 Les Paul Traditional made in Japan.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/63972/

It might be like one of those Japan market models, like the recent V and non-reverse Firebird?

I don't think it was made in Japan, i think it was made to sell to the Japaneses Market, by Gibson here in the US. No where in the specs does it say made in Japan. with the crap tuning **** on the back, you can't see the Made in USA.

Yea..again, just to say. Again.

There is NO SUCH THING as a Gibson made in Japan.

There is NO SUCH THING as a Gibson made in Japan.

I don't think this will be a much longer position if the company isn't already messing around with the idea of building their guitars in cheaper labour force communities around the globe.

I will be doing some more digging on these models as there does appear to be some Japan Flying V's being offered via long & mcquade.

If Gibson was to test market guitars made from a foreign country, Canada is a perfect test market as we aren't SOLD as to where the product is made. If they attempted this in America first - it would be shot down in flames of glory.

It is no more made in Japan than it is made by Les Paul.

The 'Japan' is simply a part of the name.

From the '70s until circa 2006 one of the highest-profile dealers of Gibsons - and especially Les Pauls - was Yamano in Japan.

Guitars bought through his dealerships acquired a certain reputation for very high QC performance and, deservedly or not, this reputation has grown to become a minor myth.

Just try googl'ing 'Yamano Les Paul' and you'll see what I mean...

One guess would be that the 'Japan Les Paul Traditional' is an example of Gibson's sales team trying to capitalise on this myth.

Pip.

It is no more made in Japan than it is made by Les Paul.

The 'Japan' is simply a part of the name.

From the '70s until circa 2006 one of the highest-profile dealers of Gibsons - and especially Les Pauls - was Yamano in Japan.

Guitars bought through his dealerships acquired a certain reputation for very high QC performance and, deservedly or not, this reputation has grown to become a minor myth.

Just try googl'ing 'Yamano Les Paul' and you'll see what I mean...

One guess would be that the 'Japan Les Paul Traditional' is an example of Gibson's sales team trying to capitalise on this myth.

Pip.

That's a fascinating story.

None the less I am looking forward to seeing this guitar once it arrives at my local L&M.

• 6 months later...

I know how everyone hates Zombie threads but Since I actually know something about this and there is almost NO info on these I thought I would chime in, late as usual.

Long & Mcquade is known for purchasing Both Gibson and Epi Japanese models, overstock I am assuming but not B-stock.

They basically get around 25 to 150 of a batch depending on a model and distribute it across Canadian stores.

This is the case with many including the Epi U.S Classic Goldtop (its the slash goldtop without slash logos), the non-reverse firebird and even the newly released Japan Flying V in 4 colors.

The scoop on this LP is basically its a Traditional Traditional...sort of.

Approx 45-50 brought into Canada

It has a solid body, no weight relief of any type.

Carved maple top with A+ and AA tops.

Available only in Heritage Cherry Burst Nitro finish

They state a late 50's contour but spec sheet says Slim Taper, not sure it that is the same.

Nickel hardware

Cream plastic

non-detachable pickguard

Bridge Super 59 and neck 59 tribute humbuckers with orange drop caps on the tones.

Rosewood binding

Pearl inlays

Classic les paul on headstock (not the wobble 100)

NO hologram

it does have the G-force tuners but early releases did not (which all made it to Japan unfortunately)

Classic Fretboard width (not the new extra wide)

No push pull pots

Bone nut (not the zero fret brass)

I played 3 and the overall finish was stunning, not sure if it has to pass extra QC or what but it was the way a LP should both sound and feel. I was never a big burstbucker guy I tend to love SD Anico II pro's but these 59s have a punch and clarity without being boomy. Hard to describe but I really like it.

All three played and sounded the same, only slight variations in the top's grain. so like any good guitar player finding a Gibson that actually is what it should be I bought one and pick it up on Saturday.

and yes I did compare these to the regular 2015's and they are better IMO fit and finish, plus a more traditional guitar is spec and weight.

I can do some pics and weight once I get it this weekend and throw it up here for future interest.

Hello Ziaon, welcome to this nice place in the web! [thumbup]

I can do some pics and weight once I get it this weekend and throw it up here for future interest.

The forthcoming pics of your guitar are welcome as well. [love] I'm curious about your great catch, mate! [drool]

Thanks!! Yes it is Nickel hardware.

So far the best sounding LP I have ever personally played. Not because it's mine but this one just has something special, maybe the eye in the grain is pulling in cosmic mojo.. [lol]

Well, it was an interesting story.

Long & Mcquade is known for purchasing Both Gibson and Epi Japanese models,

So just so I understand this. This was a special run no different than what we see GC do quite frequently. Made in the USA for a order in Japan. Then there were supposed guitars left over or whatever that wound up at L+M?

Not really understanding that but OK. Why would they order say 50 guitars then have leftovers for L+M. More than likely L+M did an order the same as whoever placed the order in Japan. Apparently they must have wanted Min E in their fine instruments also.

Those Min E are a conversation in themselves. Fellow whos a tech at GC was telling me Gibson sent them fabricated templates to remove all the Min E tuners and replace with Gibson Kluson style tuners. So all the screw holes lined up straight. I used the template which he for sure had, and a couple styles of templates at that, was surprised to hear he changed all the ones in stock, but with the box of parts he had and templates apparently he did.

So far the best sounding LP I have ever personally played. Not because it's mine

Congrats [thumbup]

I played a Vee supposedly of the Japan order, didn't like it at all, neck was VERY thin, I don't know may have had a Thin 60 thinner than usual like the 70s, the neck joint was cool I guess, it seemed smooth anyway. The guitar was well made I just noted the neck profile was to me, well, different.

Only know what I am told as I don't work for L&M purchasing. They say its overstock, I'm assuming it's like anything else. Japan commissions 1200 to be built and upon ordering requires 1050, Gibson then moves 150 units elsewhere. Again I am assuming but this is how bulk purchasing works in my industry since large buying customers get more flexible ordering option.

Mini-E is a different animal then the G-Force, although similar is an improved upon version, enough for a name change. I haven't taken mine apart but have been told by a tech the holes are lined up right and just require to be drilled slightly larger to accommodate Kluson's. If you've don this mod then you would know better then I would.

Was is easy?

Also I'll update the specs now that I own it versus the stores version and what Gibson says:

- 55 brought into Canada ( as per L&M)

- Mahogany body, ( internet says no weight relief of any type, Gibson says "Mahogany back with 9 hole weight relief")

- Carved maple top with A+ and AA tops.

- 10.5 Pounds on the digital scale

- Available only in Heritage Cherry Burst Nitro finish

- '60's Slim Taper neck

- Chrome hardware (internet says Nickel hardware, Gibson says Chrome hardware)

- Cream plastic

- Cream Binding

- non-detachable Cream pickguard

- Bridge Super 59 and neck 59 tribute humbuckers with orange drop caps on the tones.

- Rosewood Fretboard

- Acrylic inlays (internet says Pearl, Gibson says Acrylic)

- Classic les paul on headstock (not the wobble 100)

- Mother of pearl peghead face inlay

- NO hologram

- it does have the G-force tuners but early releases did not (which all made it to Japan unfortunately)

- Classic Fretboard width (not the new extra wide)

- No push pull pots

- Amber top hats with dial pointers

- Bone nut (not the zero fret brass)

Only know what I am told as I don't work for L&M purchasing.

No biggie though as the guitar looks sweet and your happy thus win-win situation, I just wasn't understanding. [thumbup]

I haven't taken mine apart but have been told by a tech the holes are lined up right and just require to be drilled slightly larger to accommodate Kluson's. If you've don this mod then you would know better then I would.

Was is easy?

Not difficult though easier if you have the template from Gibson to line up the 12 wood screw holes perfectly, but it can done without though its slightly more time consuming. You can see here, difference is I used a template but this is fine also...........

Right earlier and later model their OK but to me they sound slightly flat, but hey to each there own.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/119552-removing-min-etune-unit-and-machine-heads-and-replacing-them-with-manual-machine-heads/

Peace.

Thanks, It is a win cause it is a sweet guitar and sounds great through my line 6 Spider [scared] HAHAHA sorry that is BS! I just had to say it cause I keep reading that everywhere and its where I usually stop reading the review.

It does sounds great through my amps though. I've ran it through my Twin Reverbs in mono & stereo, my Orange and my Mark III for crunch.

I've ran it dry and sounds great but usually I've been using a MXR clean boost on all the time for a little push and step on a MXR wylde when I need some jam so leads. I use the clean boost more to help the Mark III get the the sweet spot and smooth it out with a BBE sonic Max in the effects loop.

My only complaint about the guitar is more the PR side. Its a "stripped back" version of the 2015 Trads. it only adds a + top and orange caps, but looses the nut, wobble 100 and hologram yet the Price of a 2015 is on special for Gibson month for 2500 and this one still sits at 3199 cause its a limited. [cursing] pfft kills me. but being the tone snob I am the $700 extra was worth the sound difference. There was a HUGE quality and tone difference between this guy and the 2015 trads and standards in stock here in Calgary, Alberta.

So I had to pull the trigger and eat $700 bucks. It's the guitar I will look back on and B***H about paying to much but never regret due to its tone. Out of my many guitars this is 1 of 3 that have something special about their sound.

I just had to say it cause I keep reading that everywhere and its where I usually stop reading the review.

[biggrin]

Bridge Super 59 and neck 59 tribute humbuckers

Is the set a 59 set or did Gibson make an alteration to the bridge thus a Super 59? I like the 59 set, they are actually a pleasant alternative imho.

Congrats on this nice catch, Ziaon. [thumbup] Very beautiful guitar indeed! [wub]

Thanks, It is a win cause it is a sweet guitar and sounds great through my line 6 Spider [scared] HAHAHA sorry that is BS! I just had to say it cause I keep reading that everywhere and its where I usually stop reading the review.

I never checked a Line 6 Spider or any other stuff they made or make, but there's nothing wrong with it when a guitar can make sound an amp great, or vice versa. :) For me it just wouldn't be a reference without knowing the amp.

All of my guitars sound great through my Behringer V-Amp Pro amp and FX emulator with Behringer A 500 solid-state stereo poweramp, blown through two Electro Voice EVM 12L Series II speakers from the early 1980's, each in its own 1 x 12" cabinet. I'm not kidding! Of course, my piezo bridges on solid-bodies are amped full-range. I use a Schertler JAM 150 for acoustic tones and indeed never miss an acoustic guitar. [thumbup]

[biggrin]

Is the set a 59 set or did Gibson make an alteration to the bridge thus a Super 59? I like the 59 set, they are actually a pleasant alternative imho.

It's the '59 tribute set with a slight overwound bridge as per Gibson. The thing that nice about '59's is they are not all wound the same from what Gibson says, some have more or less winding on either the slug or screw side to give the same variances that were in 1959.

Archived