Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Faded Special D C v Hamer Special

oneeyedog

Hi folks, I'm looking at possibly a 2004 LP Special DC faded cherry against a Hamer Special 93 as my next guitar purchase. The Hamer pups have been swapped out for Kinman Regular P-90 Hx pickups although the orig pups are part of the sale. The LP is stock. They are both the same price. I'm not going to have much playing time on them as they are private sales :( so I'm looking for any thoughts/experiences on these guitars. I'm new to P90's... but I love the tone! Any answers appreciated....... which one and why?

thanks

john

I had a Hamer for a short while... and while it wasn't a bad guitar it (well the one I had) was more like an Epiphone than a Gibson...

As I have said before, Epiphone make nice guitars especially for the price but a Gibson it aint...

Id say the same for the Hamer... nice, but its no Gibson.....

I have a DC Special from 2009, its an AMAZING guitar.. I mean really, I love it as much as I love my Standard or Classic. It has one of the fastest and slimest neck profiles of all my guitars and sounds amazing....

So yeah, im a bit biased but id say Gibson any day of the week.

I don't know which kind Rabs had but the Hamer Special of yore really was special and they were the shizz for quite a few years. The ones I used were really nice and I almost bought one late 90s at Philly Phall. So since I don't know I'll just say the Yankee Hamers were not at all Epiphone like.

Can't tell you what to buy though, you'll have to play them and decide. The Hamer could be really a Special and the Gibson can be just as meh as many are. The Hamer pickups were really really good, I'm not kidding. Somebody around here has to have had one or still does.

rct

I have to say I'm a bit with rct on this one.

Rabs knows a lot about guitars and his personal experience must be taken into account but Hamer has produced some amazing guitars so I guess it's all down to 'each instrument on its own merit'.

Way back in the '70s before the 'Vintage' market was born Martin Barre of Jethro Tull took up a Hamer LP DC to replace his '59 'burst and no-one complained his tone was in any way diminished by the change...

P.

Im trying to remember what the exact model I had was..........

In fact thinking about it further it probably was a non USA model... so ignore my first post [blush](plus RCT and Pippy both know way more than I do) Theres no real comparison there. I looked at the model you are referring to online... Looks pretty sweet..

Heres a pic of the one I had... still cant remember the exact model..

Picture008_zpsa8f32ed6.jpg

But really the problem you have is that no one can say if those specific guitars are good or bad till you play them... Im sure theres both good and bad examples with both models.. But even then good and bad is subjective.. Whats good for one player may be bad for another....

The American Hamers, well, at least the early ones, were really a top-notch guitar. (not that others aren't, just that I don't personally know).

There have been a lot of imports, though.

So the first, most important question, is which is it? cause there isn't just a big difference in quality, but in "market value" as well.

As in, like 100 vs 1000. Or like 200 vs 2000.

I'm talking like the difference between a Custom shop American Strat and a Fender from Indonesia.

Out of interest I found this site...

I reckon its American made...

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/andrewlarge/specials.htm

The Modern Vintage Special (1992-1998)

When Hamer were looking for a fixed neck retro-design that could be produced for a competitive price, they decided on a new version of the Special. Similar to the 1st version but with all mahogany construction, a tune-o-matic type bridge with stop tailpiece and two Seymour Duncan P90 Soapbar pickups (it was also available with humbuckers to special order). Gone was the maple top making for a more functional looking instrument and the in-house sustain block bridge was lost in favour of the easily sourced standard part. Tuners were again standard Schallers, but often the smaller size. A 'Special' logo appeared under the Hamer logo, but this time without the checkerboard motif; later this was absent. Shown below is publicity from 1992 for the Special: on the left, the Hamer flyer; and on the right, a magazine ad.

spec1_zpsplcq1xzp.jpg

spec2_zpsxlky1qr7.jpg

Im trying to remember what the exact model I had was..........

In fact thinking about it further it probably was a non USA model... so ignore my first post [blush](plus RCT and Pippy both know way more than I do) Theres no real comparison there. I looked at the model you are referring to online... Looks pretty sweet..

Heres a pic of the one I had... still cant remember the exact model..

Picture008_zpsa8f32ed6.jpg

But really the problem you have is that no one can say if those specific guitars are good or bad till you play them... Im sure theres both good and bad examples with both models.. But even then good and bad is subjective.. Whats good for one player may be bad for another....

Oh that's is one sharp guitar , I need one bad

4H

Oh that's is one sharp guitar , I need one bad

4H

Hi, its the US made model from 1993 that is on offer, like the cherry one in the picture..... here's the advert photo...

$_86.JPG

I will have to play to decide but always find sales like this you don't really get much time in the sellers home to get to know the guitar... so I'm just looking for any users advice. The faded Gibson LP Special DC... its from 2004?

No pick guard and that toggle switch/TONE control lay out on the Hamer would drive me crazy. Other than that, I can't offer any Hamer insight.

I had a LPDC Faded for a bit, it was a nice enough guitar but it also felt built to a price point. I think I paid around $500 for mine which is about right. It sounded really good and played easily. It's a small, light guitar which really makes the P90s shine - lots of great sounds came out of it.

I just hated that fake worn paint job.

I played a '77 Hamer quite a while back and recall it seeming every bit as good as a Gibson. To me it was basically a doublecut LP Standard. Well made and finished, plenty of weight. That one had some sort of a brass and nickel bridge from memory and a zebra neck pickup.

nice guitar and way less expensive than its LP equivalent.

I will have to play to decide but always find sales like this you don't really get much time in the sellers home to get to know the guitar... so I'm just looking for any users advice. The faded Gibson LP Special DC... its from 2004?

I think they made those on and off between 2004-2009...

Hamer USA guitars are one of the better kept secrets in American guitars. Pretty much the 1st American boutique guitar maker. For the most part they are very well made guitars. And IMO huge sleepers price wise.

Known issues, early guitars mid 70's to 90 or so had very inconsistent neck carves. You can find everything from super skinny shredders to baseball bats.

With a 93 it could be any size, so that's certainly a thing to ponder.

There is a finish condition on some models affectionately called "Hameritis." Generally consists of the clear coat finish on the sides of the fretboard not adhering to the rosewood and leaving a cloudy clear/opaque edge. Doesn't effect playing but some have fits when they see it. Others just sand it off and forget about it.

Hameritis also can show up as a milky white line around the glue joint where the neck & body meet. Again an issue with the glue that Hamer used for a short time and doesn't seem to affect stability.

Quality wise I think that the Hamer Special is a great guitar. I prefer the Sustainblock bridge over the tune-o-matic type type but both are very good players and choice is always up to the buyer.

IMO Given choice of the 2004 LP Special DC faded cherry against a Hamer Special. If the Hamer plays well for you it is by far the better choice.

There is a finish condition on some models affectionately called "Hameritis." Generally consists of the clear coat finish on the sides of the fretboard not adhering to the rosewood and leaving a cloudy clear/opaque edge. Doesn't effect playing but some have fits when they see it. Others just sand it off and forget about it.

Hameritis also can show up as a milky white line around the glue joint where the neck & body meet. Again an issue with the glue that Hamer used for a short time and doesn't seem to affect stability.

Moisture, water vapor, not dry enough wood, or any other way for water to get under there caused this.

rct

Archived