Gibson Brands Forums

I'm puzzled

Zippydog

Hello acoustic aficionados,

I would like to ask a question.

Why is it that my Epiphone DR500 made in 2005 was not equipped with a strap button for the front?

There is one in the rear but none for the front.

How do they expect one to install a strap?

So now, I would like to install a strap button some where up front but I'm not sure where best to place it.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum, that has a similar Guitar as mine that made this installation successfully can instruct me where to screw one in.

Please see my image and note the areas 1-4 that I have identified as potential areas.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

05eb45cb1cb86369ce79abea1007b26e.jpg

While you young 'uns may find this hard to believe there was a time when all you needed was the end pin because you looped the neck end of the strap around the headstock.

Builders today often do not install them though as folks will opt for different places. Of your choices the only one I would go with on an acoustic is #1. Most though seem to prefer placing it on the lower side of the neck heel - between #1 and #4 on your pic (assuming you are right handed).

When you buy a strap it generally comes with a bootlace to tie it to the headstock. I actually find that more comfortable on the rare occasion that I play standing up. With both ends on the guitar body I tend to feel a bit "trussed up" like a Christmas turkey.

You need to be very careful where you mount your strap pin. It is not merely deciding where you may want it. There are several complications that could arise with improper mounting.

For spots 3 and 4 you're talking about driving a screw into a very thin piece of wood that could split. To mount it in those spots a competent luthier would probably mount a solid block inside the body of the guitar in order to give the screw something beside a thin piece of wood to bite into.

Drilling into the heel cap at spot 2 could very easily split the heel cap requiring a repair. Not as expensive as some repairs, but it would still cost you some dough.

Spot 1 runs into trouble because unless you are absolutely certain of your guitar's build you could run into the bolt that connects the neck to the body potentially breaking your pin mounting screw. If that screw breaks off inside your neck you could be facing a steep repair job. If you run into the bolt and are able to successfully remove the screw, you would still have a nasty hole left behind.

The best spot for the pin is not marked but that would be on the underside of the neck at an angle between spots 1 and 4 on your photo.

Do some research for yourself on the web. There are several good tutorials on strap pin mounting. It seems that I remember Stewart MacDonald (Stewmac) having a thorough video tutorial on their site somewhere on their site detailing all the plusses and minuses of strap pin location and the proper way of drilling a pilot hole and mounting the pin.

As an aside, it really is worth considering NOT mounting one. Although you may be used to having one mounted on the neck from playing an electric, it doesn't take too much practice learning how to play one with the strap fitted with a lace, or tie, or quick release clasp at the headstock and you don't damage your guitar that way.

Good luck!

Spot number two, definitely.

For a variety of reasons;

strength,

proper strap hang,

less torsion on the strap hole

and

the least effect on the sound quality or structure of the acoustic chamber.

I agree with fromnabulax that drilling there 'could' cause a split, but only if you are lazy and cavalier about the drilling.

Here's the trick.

A. Mark the spot where you want to drill

B. Secure two drill bits;

one that is slightly smaller than the screw securing the strap button

and one that is the smallest possible, and I mean really small and fine.

C. Drill straight down into the heel using the smallest bit first.

D. Then drill again using the bit that is just smaller than the screw.

You will find that the screw and button go right in nicely, there will be no cracking, and you will thank yourself later if you use a small felt washer beneath the strap button.

[thumbup]

Thank you everybody for your advice.

I think that I'm going to try tying to the headstock for a while.

May look funky but I'll give it a shot.

If I do install a button in area # 2 through the plastic heel cap, is there solid wood underneath?

What is the purpose of this plastic cap?

If I do install a button in area # 2 through the plastic heel cap, is there solid wood underneath?

Wraps around above the nut there, buttons together and has a strap button on it so you don't have to tie, CFMartin makes this:

18a0031.jpg18a0032.jpg18a00319.jpg

rct

I had the same question in mind when I bought my AJ Masterbilt. I guess we can say the old tradition lives on. To bootlace it at the headstock. It works fine and I have grown to like it better than the button at the heel. I also think it is more comfortable, a bit cool looking.

I thought the same thing when I first bought a guitar about 12 years ago, but once I found a good way to tie it up around the headstock so everything was out of the way, It's the way I will play until the bucket is kicked. Actually those gizmos "rct" illustrated is not a bad idea, either. [biggrin]

The problem with shoe laces is that unless you leave your guitar strap on the instrument the relative length of the strap changes each time you untie the lace. Sometimes the differential is great, some times not so great, but it does change every time.

The quick release system I use, or the mini strap mount recommended by RCT eliminates this issue allowing you to set your strap length once, and then leaving it there. The quick release as well as the item shown by RCT also minimizes friction which can wear through your finish and then start attacking the wood itself.

The very nice leather Martin doohickey sells for around $10.00 US, while the Planet Waves quick release can be had for under $5.00 US. Easily worth the investment.

The shoelace holding my strap to the headstock has been in place for a decade or more. I can still adjust the strap using the buckle if needed. Works fine although I admit that I often end up with the guitar positioned like a stand up bass and have to adjust mid-song. Still, I'm not up to drilling for a better position. I bought one of those Martin leather straps for my Guild and it works fine too. Either way, I'd wait and see how things go before making a hole in your guitar.

The shoelace holding my strap to the headstock has been in place for a decade or more. I can still adjust the strap using the buckle if needed. Works fine although I admit that I often end up with the guitar positioned like a stand up bass and have to adjust mid-song. Still, I'm not up to drilling for a better position. I bought one of those Martin leather straps for my Guild and it works fine too. Either way, I'd wait and see how things go before making a hole in your guitar.

Very good point.

I've laced it up to try.

Let's see how it goes.

Thanks

If you're adding a strap button, definitely No. 1. As others have noted, spots 2 and 3 require gluing a block inside.

The problem with attaching a strap button to the heel cap is that the guitar tends to pitch forward when you have it on the strap. It's just not a stable place to put a strap button.

For adding a strap button to spot No. 1, you MUST drill a pilot hole. If you don't, you run the risk of splitting the heel. And when you drive in the screw, make sure you coat the threads with some soap. That'll reduce the threat of splitting even more.

Here is Frank Ford's tutorial on placement and how to actually do it:

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton2.html

I sometimes use a strap around the headstock but have always hated the cheap-looking shoestring thing. Several years ago, I found a "choker" strap with a metal "D" ring that goes around the headstock. (I'm a lefty so the photo below will look upside down to you.) A few weeks ago I took it to a leather shop here in Kuwait and had a couple of copies made for other guitars. Took a day and cost about $25, a pretty good deal. I think in the U.S., it's going to be pricier.

Here's a photo of the strap on the headstock of my IB'64 Texan.

post-13307-049538800 1442574729_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth; check out Neil Young on youtube at his latest concerts and you'll see his Martin (that once belonged to Hank Williams) and it's hung around his neck by a skinny little cord attached to the neck-not a drilled in peg.Just saying.

Archived