Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Case

merciful-evans

re- The case for my Gibson ES-339 bought a couple of month ago (case & guitar together):

The lining is not properly glued on and is separating at the headstock end and at the compartment area edge. A careful tug at these loose areas reveals that the glue has not adhered well at all. It looks to be a gum or resin-like glue. This case was made in Canada for Gibson.

I have glues that I am sure would work ok, but before I try, does anyone else know what should be used?

Anyone else have this problem?

The glue used is "contact cement", which is kind of an industrial strength "rubber cement".

You spread glue on both sides to be adhered together, let it dry until tacky, and press it together. A medium grade of this type adhesive should be available at most hardware and craft stores.

...I already have some small wood clamps that will keep it in position when drying.

No needs for the clamps. "Contact Cement" works "on contact". When the directions are followed properly, it's an instant bond. Plus, you don't want to mash down the cat fur down into the glue, or squeeze the glue up through the backing into the cat fur.

You'll understand when you read the instructions on the can.

I don't know if you can find it in the UK, but "3M Spray Trim Adhesive" is what most use for upholstery work here in the States. Separate the two surfaces to be bonded, spray (watch out for overspray with covering things up, let set 15-20 mins. Press into place (go slow & don't screw up cuz once touched together it's a dang tight grab right now).

You may need to remove some of the old adhesive that didn't work. Just read/follow the can instructions.

Aster

I don't know if you can find it in the UK, but "3M Spray Trim Adhesive" is what most use for upholstery work here in the States. Separate the two surfaces to be bonded, spray (watch out for overspray with covering things up, let set 15-20 mins. Press into place (go slow & don't screw up cuz once touched together it's a dang tight grab right now).

You may need to remove some of the old adhesive that didn't work. Just read/follow the can instructions.

Aster

Hi Aster,

I would prefer not to use a spray. I dont plan to remove the entire lining, so would prefer to use a spreader plate. A spray would likely go everywhere I dont wont it to.

Thanks for the 3M Spray Trim Adhesive info. If it comes in bottles I'll get some.

I understand your concern, however the spray is the best way to apply. Also, it is very thick in delivery, not like paint. An adj. nozzle allows to set the width of the spray. Just take some newspaper or similar, & masking tape off what you don't want sprayed (like the inside fur or outside of the case. Practice first with the spray can and you will find it is very controllable and allows for an even surface of adhesive. Just what I've found anyway.

Aster

re- The case for my Gibson ES-339 bought a couple of month ago (case & guitar together):

The lining is not properly glued on and is separating at the headstock end and at the compartment area edge. A careful tug at these loose areas reveals that the glue has not adhered well at all. It looks to be a gum or resin-like glue. This case was made in Canada for Gibson.

I have glues that I am sure would work ok, but before I try, does anyone else know what should be used?

Anyone else have this problem?

Me and I do.

Bought a ohsc for my Flying V (black with white lining), and there's a spot the lining doesn't adhers to the border, roughly at tenon's height.

Even my Hiscox case has this problem now. I have regarded these to be a benchmark standard in the past, so I suppose it can happen to any case [unsure]

Gibson cases are pure garbage regardless of what model guitar you buy. When they made me a new #6 DG ES335 they also made a new case because the case had the lining separating and hot glue chunks all inside.

• 4 weeks later...

Gibson cases are pure garbage regardless of what model guitar you buy. When they made me a new #6 DG ES335 they also made a new case because the case had the lining separating and hot glue chunks all inside.

Well, I'd have to say that NONE of my Gibson's have any separating fur linings. Last one was a Hummingbird 2 yrs ago however. I had to do all my "spray glue" repairs on other brand cases and some old ones (40 yrs). All my acoustics, & my SG are perfect. My Epi Elitists are too. The standard Epi's have had a couple of touch up's for the fur however.

Aster

Well, I'd have to say that NONE of my Gibson's have any separating fur linings. Last one was a Hummingbird 2 yrs ago however. I had to do all my "spray glue" repairs on other brand cases and some old ones (40 yrs). All my acoustics, & my SG are perfect. My Epi Elitists are too. The standard Epi's have had a couple of touch up's for the fur however.

Aster

The cases are garbage compared to other brands and for the price of the guitar. Gibson does not make a good case at all and it is a shame.

The cases are garbage compared to other brands and for the price of the guitar. Gibson does not make a good case at all and it is a shame.

That hasn't been my experience. Of all the cases I have had (and still have), The "Gibson" branded cases have been stand outs as far as quality, and "nice".

That hasn't been my experience. Of all the cases I have had (and still have), The "Gibson" branded cases have been stand outs as far as quality, and "nice".

You are lucky and I wish I had the same experience. I have owned 8 new Gibsons in the past 3 years and every case was sub par. Thank goodness the guitars were perfection :D

Even though, the cases if being perfect are still low end compared to what other brands (Check out Collings Cases) are giving you. This is a case (no pun intended) of Henry and his been counters squeezing every penny out of a sale even if it jeopardizes the quality.

As far as TKL, I complained to them about my DG ES335 case and the VP of operations requested I send pictures. I sent them and heard nothing more even when I asked for an update.

Archived