Gibson Brands Forums

2001 PR 5E...questions on the electronics and overall

old mark

Just got this gem about 20 minutes ago...

SN says it was made in March 2001 by Zaozhuang Saeban in China...the sticker on the back says made in Korea. Has a GIBSON marked 3 screw truss rod cover. Has a Shadow Pre Amp which I guess is the old Peizo unit, with a 1/4' jack and a mic type jack around the bottom of the body. It's Ebony, has a lot of dust on it and very little signs of use. It is stamped 2ND on the top ear of the headstock and the only flaw I can find is an odd section of the paint that shows some grain through it...it's on the back, so I don't care.

IMG_0320_zpsats1jmio.jpg

EVERYTHING works. Gold hardware, looks like Grovers, dry looking rosewood board. Has electric strings on it, which I will change later. I just put it into an old '70's Gibson ES 335 case that I had been planning to sell and it fits fine, so that's its home now. This is a VERY nice guitar, and I am really surprised to find a 14 year old guitar in such fine condition...for under $200. This one is certainly a keeper and I hope to get a lot of use over many years out of it.

Pre amp is Epiphonic Six Electar Shadow piezo.

Any thoughts on the old vs newer electronics, etc, are appreciated...Thanks for any help or experience with these.

IMO, this seems to be another great Epiphone design.

Archived