Gibson Brands Forums

More new 2016 Gibson models?

Jesse_Dylan

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016.aspx

I was fiddling on the Gibson site, and I noticed some more new 2016 models. I swear they were not there before, or did I just not see them?

SJ-200 Ultimate New Vintage that you'd need a mortgage for (would be awesome to have a torrefied SJ-200, but good glory that price)

And a red spruce J-185 that is actually less expensive than the "more affordable super jumbo" (SJ-100).

I hope my dealer makes up with Gibson, because man, I would love to take that J-185 for a spin, not to mention the SJ-200 Ultimate (yeah right!)

I was fiddling on the Gibson site, and I noticed some more new 2016 models. I swear they were not there before, or did I just not see them?

SJ-200 Ultimate New Vintage that you'd need a mortgage for (would be awesome to have a torrefied SJ-200, but good glory that price)

And a red spruce J-185 that is actually less expensive than the "more affordable super jumbo" (SJ-100).

I hope my dealer makes up with Gibson, because man, I would love to take that J-185 for a spin, not to mention the SJ-200 Ultimate (yeah right!)

I was rather excited by this, too. But you're not the only one; I only noticed it Sunday. It's beautiful, and I want one so much! After playing a '12 or '13 J-185, I found it absolutely fantastic to play. I've found one for as little as £2000 (almost $3100) and is claiming to be a red spruce model, but can't tell if it's an older one in stock or a too-good-to-be-true deal on a '16.

Thanks, their site is strange….

So I wonder if this limited edition J-50 is the same thing they are selling at Sweetwater for $2800? The page at Sweetwater calls it the "Modern Classic", which is like mine. But the model on Gibson's site is a little different. The "antique natural" finish appears lighter than mine. But still seems like the same guitar basically… priced $800 higher than the last time they offered it. :rolleyes:

"List" doesn't really exist anymore. Fender totally did away with it on their guitars (at least the nicer ones)

-Keith

Yeah, such a silly concept anyway.

Musicians Friend and places still list the retail price and then pretend the map is their discount price.

Anyone know if the prices listed on the new Gibson site are list prices or MAP?

I wonder about that…. The ones at the link Jesse posted are all "limited run". Doesn't that mean they can get away with charging outrageous prices? [flapper]

The J-50 seems to be the same thing they are selling at Sweetwater, and they are asking the full $2799 list price for it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS50ANNH

Love that J-45 Acacia! Gorgeous back and sides. Does anyone know if the Acacia is Koa, or the less expensive Blackwood?

In general, I believe Koa is one of nearly 1000 species under the genus 'Acacia, which occurs in tropical and sub-tropical Africa, the Americas and the Pacific, including of course Hawaii and Australia.

Koa - I've read is most similar to black walnut in weight and densitiy, but tone has been described more similar to mahogany. So...to me, 'it's all wood" (as in "It's all good." .

In general, I believe Koa is one of nearly 1000 species under the genus 'Acacia, which occurs in tropical and sub-tropical Africa, the Americas and the Pacific, including of course Hawaii and Australia.

Wow, I didn't know "Acacia" could be any one of a thousand species. Whatever this particular guitar is made of, it's looks beautiful. I'd love to try one.

I wonder about that…. The ones at the link Jesse posted are all "limited run". Doesn't that mean they can get away with charging outrageous prices? [flapper]

The J-50 seems to be the same thing they are selling at Sweetwater, and they are asking the full $2799 list price for it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS50ANNH

That's the lowest they can ask for it, though, if that is the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price), which is what Gibson lists all their other guitars at. MAP is like the new goofy "retail price" now I guess. :) But I'm sure Guitar Center and everyone else will still be like List Price $9999.99!! OUR PRICE (MAP) $2799.99!

The J-200 Vintage Sunburst looks orgasmic .. [razz]

Yeah it does.

Koa - I've read is most similar to black walnut in weight and densitiy, but tone has been described more similar to mahogany. So...to me, 'it's all wood" (as in "It's all good." .

It reminds me of my Pono Uke. This uke is made of solid Ohai wood, advertized to be similar to Koa but not endangered wood; well it never sounded like koa wood... It is not bad but nothing like a good koa uke.

So i'm always suspiscious when i read "similar to".

This J-45 Acacia looks gorgeous though, wood figures are awesome and i'd be glad to check it out.

Archived