Gibson Brands Forums

Help me Identify this Gibson (SG?)

caper26

Hi guys. A friend is selling a Gibson and he thought it was an SG. I am no gearhead, but I don't think it is a true SG.

So I am requesting help identifying the particulars, as well as the value of the used guitar, as if to buy on kijiji or whatever.

2j196hy.jpg

344tlq9.jpg

280t8w4.jpg

20sdn9g.jpg

It looks to be legitimate, though well-used.

And the pickups may have been changed out, which is typical of a player's guitar.

By that serial number, it was made in Nashville on January 25th, 2005.

Production Number: 289.

According to the Blue Book of Guitar Valuations, it is worth approximately $600 USD in that condition.

Clean it up, mount the back plate, drop in some original (covered) pickups, it will be worth $700 to $800.

Hope this helps.

:mellow:

And the pickups may have been changed out, which is typical of a player's guitar.

Clean it up, mount the back plate, drop in some original (covered) pickups, it will be worth $700 to $800.

Hope this helps.

That helped a lot pal. Thanks. What do you mean by the above? Mount the back plate? I only took it off to take photos...

Also, is there a way to tell if the pick ups are better or worse than stock ones for this guitar?

To my guess the pickups are probably stock. The braided wire is matching original pickups, and the soldering points look unmodified to me.

All in all it seems to be consistent with an SG Special Faded in Worn Cherry: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Faded/Specs.aspx

NOTE: The "i" dot of stamped logos might be aligned with the "i" as well as shifted towards the "G" on Gibson guitars.

To my guess the pickups are probably stock. The braided wire is matching original pickups, and the soldering points look unmodified to me.

All in all it seems to be consistent with an SG Special Faded in Worn Cherry: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Faded/Specs.aspx

I do believe you are right, capmaster.

What threw me off was the unfinished look just inside the pick guard, around the pickups.

It give an appearance of some routing-out (characteristic of a home-job mounting of after-market pickups).

Heck, maybe they all look that way. I have never held one in person.

If it is indeed an SG Special Faded, it is worth, bone-stock:

Mint condition: $550

Excellent + condition: $475

Excellent condition: $400

Very good +: $325

Very good: $275

Good: $225

It looks to be legitimate, though well-used.

By that serial number, it was made in Nashville on January 25th, 2005.

Production Number: 289.

According to the Blue Book of Guitar Valuations, it is worth approximately $600 USD in that condition.

Hope this helps.

These guitars never had covered pups. Not these models.

That helped a lot pal. Thanks. What do you mean by the above? Mount the back plate? I only took it off to take photos...

Also, is there a way to tell if the pick ups are better or worse than stock ones for this guitar?

That's purely personal preference. In many cases, if the pups WERE changed, they like were for the personal preference of the one changing them, and likely would have been "quality" pups if changed. But also, many bought these because the Gibby pups were good.

I do believe you are right, capmaster.

What threw me off was the unfinished look just inside the pick guard, around the pickups.

It give an appearance of some routing-out (characteristic of a home-job mounting of after-market pickups).

Heck, maybe they all look that way. I have never held one in person.

If it is indeed an SG Special Faded, it is worth, bone-stock:

Mint condition: $550

Excellent + condition: $475

Excellent condition: $400

Very good +: $325

Very good: $275

Good: $225

Much better. This is more accurate.

These guitars are regarded for being good players and sounding good, but they weren't expensive even when they were sold new. You could buy them all day for 600 bones American.

When dealing with inexpensive guitars, in this price range it really doesn't matter if it's bone stock. These are players prices.

Archived