Gibson Brands Forums

The Joys of 'GForce'

BobK

What a nice pub gig last night. With Air con overhead, hot lights, doors to the outside world being opened, the guitars being thrashed, tuning was an issue during the 2 60 minute sets. Well, sort of. Whilst the other guitarist was fiddling around with his tuner between songs ("bloody G string")I wasn't. One strum and its back in tune.

"I want one" he said.

So then, I have a question:

When mounting a G-Force onto a guitar with standard tuners, does it leave any marks or screw holes? Could a guy install a G-Force, and then remove it without any evidence or screw holes? Or impressions in the wood?

When mounting a G-Force onto a guitar with standard tuners?

Yes

does it leave any marks or screw holes?

No.

Could a guy install a G-Force, and then remove it without any evidence or screw holes? Or impressions in the wood?

Yes.

I have installed MinEtunes on two of my older guitars. Easy to install. Easy to remove.

What a nice pub gig last night. With Air con overhead, hot lights, doors to the outside world being opened, the guitars being thrashed, tuning was an issue during the 2 60 minute sets. Well, sort of. Whilst the other guitarist was fiddling around with his tuner between songs ("bloody G string")I wasn't. One strum and its back in tune.

"I want one" he said.

I'll sell him the one I just removed from my LP standard. Let me know if interested.

[biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

It is amazing how people hate them and yet they use tuners on their pedal boards and fiddle about trying to see them on stage. The storm of dislike about the robots and the other changes on the 2015 range made Gibson panic and rip them all off for the 2016 models and I completely understand why they did it. Money counts. However, those of us who have bought 2015's and love them can't understand the problems. I did need a tuner changed but all the others work perfectly. I have seen people say they hate the hologram - it's on the back of the neck where you can't see it and it adds to the difficulty in making a cheap copy - it doesn't effect the tone. Some don't like the autograph - mine is cool and reflects Les's personality and it doesn't effect the tone or playability. I have read that people hate the metal flecks in the paint (which I love) and yet people buy whole gold tops and relic'd guitars that have been bashed about! Players don't like the wide necks - I think they are great - it's a matter of taste. The people who disliked the 2015's are entitled to their opinions but they have denigrated people like us who have bought them. In a few years time the people who hated change will see just how good they were and they will be a real "find". I went to a Blues Jam this weekend and everyone liked the 2015 Standard and an internationally renowned guitar teacher thought it was a "great player". Gibson gave us the humbucker and I hope they will continue to put out new ideas. Mr Ford said that when he produced his car people just wanted a faster horse.

Anyone interested in starting a 2015 persecuted owners club just let me know and we can compare our gorgeous guitars.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a setup on my Classic again and replaced the factory strings. Afterwards I ran a calibration and also changed the accuracy setting to max.

It doesn't take that much longer to tune, plus I noticed that the tuners now always tune down and then up. Sweet huh?

• 2 weeks later...

All about guitars is subjective :). But some people don't see it that way and live to complaining, which I don't understand.

The Gibson faithful are very conservative, but I don’t think they are neophobic. Instead it’s a love of the iconic designs that they don’t want interfered with. They can spot a flaw or deviation in a build with amazing accuracy.

Further to that, there is always the accompanying ‘looking backward’ to a perceived authenticity which probably never existed. Gibson mirror this in their output constantly. Hence the plethora of reissues. Just look at the language used in Gibson’s product descriptions:

“…accurately recreates the original hallowed '59 Burst in every detail”

“The 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue from the Gibson Custom Shop is the closest thing to taking a time machine more than 55 years back in time”

“represented with utmost accuracy in the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue”

“the most accurate recreation…”

“period-correct…”

“created in the image of the original PAFs…”

Is it any wonder the 2015 builds were vilified?

It is amazing how people hate them and yet they use tuners on their pedal boards and fiddle about trying to see them on stage. The storm of dislike about the robots and the other changes on the 2015 range made Gibson panic and rip them all off for the 2016 models and I completely understand why they did it. Money counts. However, those of us who have bought 2015's and love them can't understand the problems. I did need a tuner changed but all the others work perfectly. I have seen people say they hate the hologram - it's on the back of the neck where you can't see it and it adds to the difficulty in making a cheap copy - it doesn't effect the tone. Some don't like the autograph - mine is cool and reflects Les's personality and it doesn't effect the tone or playability. I have read that people hate the metal flecks in the paint (which I love) and yet people buy whole gold tops and relic'd guitars that have been bashed about! Players don't like the wide necks - I think they are great - it's a matter of taste. The people who disliked the 2015's are entitled to their opinions but they have denigrated people like us who have bought them. In a few years time the people who hated change will see just how good they were and they will be a real "find". I went to a Blues Jam this weekend and everyone liked the 2015 Standard and an internationally renowned guitar teacher thought it was a "great player". Gibson gave us the humbucker and I hope they will continue to put out new ideas. Mr Ford said that when he produced his car people just wanted a faster horse.

Anyone interested in starting a 2015 persecuted owners club just let me know and we can compare our gorgeous guitars.

i like my junior,even though GC had removed the G-force system before i got it.the adjustable nut is very cool,you can easily set the action at the nut as low as possible with no buzz in about 30 seconds.it might need to be a titanium nut instead of brass but it beats the hell out of filing or shimming.got mine at a steal of a price too thanks to all the haters.

• 1 month later...

I've got a 2014 Les Paul Standard with a MinEtune and I love it. I don't understand what happened with the 2015's. Maybe too many faulty tuners or maybe the name change to G-Force made it seem like Gibson was just casting about looking for 'new" tech, though as far as I know, there's no difference between the MinEtune and the G-Force.

When the first robot tuners came out I swore I'd never get one, but they were a far different animal than they are now. The smartest thing they did was miniaturize it all and hang it on the headstock instead of having controls in the body cavity. The alternate tunings are especially useful and very accurate. The only thing I have not done with mine is create my own tuning and save it to one of the unit's user slots.

When I first got it I ran numerous tests on it against a BOSS tuner and every time the two matched perfectly. In two years I've only had to charge the battery 3 times, and I play daily. That's pretty goof for such a small battery.

Lastly, the body of my Les Paul is heavy enough that the headstock doesn't seem heavy or out of balance due to the MinEtune being there. It's balanced fairly well, probably better than if the tuner wasn't there at all. It's a shame that Gibson apparently abandoned them for 2016. They should put a few out there for those people that want them as installing one as an aftermarket addon likely voids the warranty, hardly fair since Gibson put so many on the market in 2014 and 2015. -Rod-

1507335_10152001640179102_770757901_o.jpg

1598529_10152001641039102_1853831790_o.jpg

Lastly, the body of my Les Paul is heavy enough that the headstock doesn't seem heavy or out of balance due to the MinEtune being there. It's balanced fairly well, probably better than if the tuner wasn't there at all.

Searcy did a weight comparison with G-force and Grover tuners....the G-force is lighter than tuners....

It's a shame that Gibson apparently abandoned them for 2016. They should put a few out there for those people that want them as installing one as an aftermarket addon likely voids the warranty, hardly fair since Gibson put so many on the market in 2014 and 2015.

Actually they didn't. They split everything into 2 lines. The High Performance (HP) line still has the G-Force and Tronical still sell it for the aftermarket.

Archived